Corsair Community

Has my motherboard overvolted my ram?

kypron

Hi, I recently built this system with an asus p5q-e, 2x2gb corsair dominator pc8500c5d, and a q9550. Now, I immediately flashed the mobo to the newest bios (1901) and set my ram timings for ddr 1066, 5-5-5-15 2.1 v, and everything has run well. The problem is, I have become aware of issues with this mobo overvolting vdimm, pll, and nb volts. In some cases people have reported the vdimm as being .1v higher than what is set in the bios!! I set the vdimm down to 2v, and it passed memtest86+ for 8 hours, no probs.

Is it possible this mobo has damaged the ram by giving it up to 2.2v when I had it set to 2.1v? What is the highest volts this ram can take? It seems ridiculous that the mobo can overvolt so much, and it doesn't even report what it is actually supplying in the bios.

ok, i double checked, my volts for my specific ram is definately 2.1v, which is what i set. I suppose I am worrying for nothing, as everything is stable, and I can't actually prove what my mobo was supplying my ram with, though the fact it is stable at just 2.0 v proves it is definately overvolting.

The thing is, if this ram dies on me, is it really my fault that it did when I set the ram to the correct voltage, and many posts on this forum from people with asus p5q-e's are told to set it to 2.1v as well?

Hey Wired did you delete my post?

Sorry if i was wrong.

But as far as i know:

Absolut Maximum ratings for DDR2

is about 2.35 Volt of course this will not covered by warranty.

Yes, as 2.35 is WELL over the warrantied specs.

Archived