Corsair Community

VS512SD333 in Dell Inspiron 5100

cbj1903

I recently received a hand me down Dell Inspiron 5100 and was looking for a memory upgrade from 384 MB RAM after a fresh install of XP. I used Corsair's Memory Configurator and decided upon 2x512Mb VS512SDS333 PC2700 sticks.

I received both sticks today[w/Hynix (Hyundai Electronics) chips], unfortunately after installing, the laptop wouldn't boot to BIOS. I tried them in each slot separately with the same result. I even reflashed the BIOS.

Would switching the memory for VS512SDS266 PC2100 make a difference, or do you think I was unlucky receiving two bad sticks? Dell only recommends on their website PC2700 memory, so who knows. Maybe there is a difference between the Hynix and the Corsair chips. I have used Corsair memory in all of my builds and never had a problem until now. The stickers read 09085016-0-223347 and 09085016-0-223339.

RAM GUY,

Did someone at Corsair change the memory configurator? I checked the configurator prior to ordering and prior to posting on this forum just to double check, and there were three different memories to choose from. 1 GB 333mhz, 512 MB 333mhz and 512 266mhz. Now after being brought to Corsair's attention, mysteriously the two 333mhz have disappeared from the memory configurator.

I would hope Corsair would say, "Oops, sorry, our mistake," and let me trade it in for the correct 266mhz memory for free. I am not accusing anyone, but I find it shady that it was on the memory configurator one moment, and gone the next.

Please don't tell me I used the memory configurator incorrectly. I might be dating myself, but the first computer I built was a 486.

• Corsair Employee
To my knowledge it has not been changed but if you used the memory configurator link from one of resellers it may have shown that part. At any rate call our customer service at 888-222-4346 Ext "3" and they will do their best to help you.

RAM GUY,

Nope, I used the memory configurator on Corsair's website. Below is a link to Newegg's reviews. As you can see, many people were having the same problem with Corsair's memory configurator as me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820145484

It is nice that Corsair updated the configurator for people currently in the market for new memory. I hope they follow through and help out all of the people that their memory configurator misled.

Archived