Corsair Community

CMX512-3200c2 work in this?

gargus

I am having problems with a new cpu I got a p4 2.8e prescott. My system wont boot. I thought it was a bad cpu after I cleared, flashed the bios and did everything I could think of and wouldnt work so I returned the cpu and it still wont boot with the new one I have. I can put my old 3.2c cpu in and it works fine. I have a intel d875pbz board and I know this cpu works it worked when I built the same machine for a friend 2 weeks ago. We have same powersupply, motherboard, bios version but the only difference is he has different ram than I do. So my only concern now is my ram not compatible with 2.8e?

• 3 weeks later...
see my other post (search dijon) i just built this system around an intel d875pbz mobo and 2 x cmx51203200c2 ram. in dual channel mode i get boots to no video, boots to video and frequent lockups, crashes to reboot in games etc... as soon as i moved one of dimms (both are working fine i did lots of tests) to the same channel as the first one (single channel mode) everything worked great. i'm waiting to hear from intel tech support.

• Corsair Employees
That might suggest a power problem, or there might be something wrong with the MB. If both modules will pass [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] one up; and or in single channel mode at the same time. But will not run stable in dual channel. That suggests some other problem. In addition, they would have to match exactly with this MB. You may not be able to mix modules or different revisions of modules.

hi (apologies for the double posts - i didn't know how efficient you were!!!) i've done the memtests and both dimms are fine. i'm not sure what you mean by matching exactly with the mother board. these dimms are the same revision, same stick, same lot #. could you elaborate on the power problem? i have a new enermax 470watt powersupply...but that's probably not what you mean. also i had both these installed in dual channel mode during the memory tests and they passed. they just won't run anything else. the system is going fine now with 2 dimms in single channel mode. out of curiosity...what kind of performance hit am i taking in single channel mode vs. dual channel mode? if it's negligible i may just get on with my life! thanks again for your quick response ramguy dijon

• Corsair Employees
Power Problem, There are a few possibilities, first the PSU you have should have enough power, and I have not seen that many having trouble with this brand like I have with some other's. But if for example the power supply is not emitting a clean signal or allowing too much noise it may cause this type of problem. And testing with another PSU may help to isolate that problem. Second, if that checks out, I would look for some other cause, like an EMI or grounding problem. By removing the MB from the case and testing it on top of the box it came in.

Archived