Corsair Community

Asus Maximus Extreme and TW3X4G1600C9DHX

aces40love

Hi. I have recently installed the 4 gig ram kit (TW3X4G1600C9DHX) in an Asus Maximus Extreme board. I had to manually set the mhz timing to 1600 and latency in the BIOS and left everything else set to auto. The system will boot to Vista (32 bit), however it is very slow. Sometimes it won't boot to the OS at all and I have to reset and boot to the last known good configuration. I am not overclocking anything through the BIOS as I would like to get the system stable first. Any ideas on what my BIOS settings should be for optimum stability and performance?

Yes - I set the voltage to 1.80 last night and then ran memtest which reported no errors. The Mhz was set to 1330 and the latency at 9-9-9-24. Although this problem didn't occur until I installed the ram, maybe there are some other components causing the problem.

• Corsair Employees
This MB is based on Intel X38 Express and as such you cannot run the memory faster than the CPU's FSB which is DDR1333. So if the system is stable at DDR1333 please leave it there and you should be good to go. Or is there some other issue I am missing?

• 3 months later...

I am able to pull it up to 1066 only. Dual Channel locks the machine up prior to the BIOS loading.

I know the Maximus Extreme & CM3X2G1600C9DHX are supposed to work together (checked them on this site prior to purchase).

My DRAM only allows DDR3-1066, and then DDR3-1600 from the timing menu ("Manual" option). How do you pull up this choice?

• Corsair Employees

stoomaroo,

That would apply in your situation as well but in your case the fastest you can run the memory would be DDR1066 unless you over clock the CPU.

This MB is based on Intel X38 Express and as such you cannot run the memory faster than the CPU's FSB which is DDR1333. So if the system is stable at DDR1333 please leave it there and you should be good to go. Or is there some other issue I am missing?

the fastest you can run the memory would be DDR1066 unless you over clock the CPU

Is there a good spot I could read about "My first overclocking"? I have all the supposed settings for this board and RAM kit -- but any changes from the "Auto" settings lock up prior to the BIOS loading.

Finding out where to change the voltage, and the cocktail of getting 1066 to 1333 would be useful...

regards,

stoomaroo

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry no we do not, only the tested settings are whats supported. It is hard when over clocking as there can be so many variables. But I would try and lower the memory frequency to the next step down if you want to over clock the CPU and then you may need to go even lower as you raise the CPU FSB.

• Corsair Employees

From the link in my signature

Testing parameters for TWIN3X/XMS3-1600C9DHX (IN):

TW3X2G1600C9DHX Data Sheet

TW3X4G1600C9DHX Data Sheet

Motherboard make and model: ASUS P5K3, P5E3 Premium/Deluxe !

Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:

Advanced

Jumper Free

AI Overclock: Manual

CPU Control: AUTO

FSB Frequency: 400 MHz

PCIE Frequency: AUTO

DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1333 MHz

DRAM Timings Control: Manual

CAS# Latency:___________9

RAS# to CAS# Delay:______9

RAS# Precharge:__________9

RAS# Activate to Precharge:24

DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled

DRAM Dynamic Write Control: Disabled

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Voltage:__________1.4500V

CPU PLL Voltage:_______1.6V

DRAM Voltage:_________1.6V

FSB Termination Voltage:_1.3V

North Bridge Voltage:____1.55V

All settings not listed should be left at AUTO or BIOS Default

Maximum DDR3 recommended VDIMM: 2.00 Volts

1. I guess i wasn't following the same link in your signature.

2. Found them all except for the following :confused: ones.

Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:

Advanced

Jumper Free [:confused:] - i pull all my jumpers?

AI Overclock: Manual

CPU Control: AUTO [:confused:] - could not find it

FSB Frequency: 400 MHz

PCIE Frequency: AUTO [can only put in a # - no "Auto"]

DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1333 MHz [DDR3-1334MHz - close enough?]

Maximum DDR3 recommended VDIMM: 2.00 Volts [:confused:] - a setting or recommendation?

My system is freezing prior to BIOS again...although a subsequent reboot returns it to 1066 with your settings (except the ones posted above). I am running BIOS revision 1302 (3/24/09).

I guess you guys do this all day? I don't know where I would have started to find this stuff out.

regards, stoomaroo

• Corsair Employees

These settings are not MB specific only what we use to test the modules on our production line. and you would use them for reference when setting up your system...

And I really doubt that your Q6600 CPU will over clock to these settings with out some tweaking of the CPU Vcore and the CPU Multiplier.

I would start with default settings with the memory frequency set to DDR1066 and as you raise the CPU Frequency it will raise the memory frequency as well. Just work you way up slowly and use http://www.memtest.org to test the system.

Finally was able to run a stable 1333MHz (CPU @ 3.06GHz).

The Memtest loaded from the GRUB menu ran clean, and I am getting the 9-9-9-24 automatically (i.e. BIOS guessed via "Auto" settings.

BIOS revision 1302

"Extreme Tweaker" Tab:

Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual

OC from Memory Level Up: PC3-10660

FSB Frequency: 333

PCIE Frequency: 100

DRAM Frequency: DDR-1333MHz

(all other settings on "Auto")

Works like a charm. Thanks for all your help.

regards,

Stoomaroo

Archived