Corsair Community

My new DDR2-8500 memory only shows up as DDR2-800!

MysteryMan

I suspect this topic has been covered already and I apologise but, I am new to all this and would appreciate a simple straightforward answer if possible!

I have just upgraded the RAM in my PC from 2 x CM2X512-5400C4 modules to TwinX 2GB DDR2 8500C5D modules and I was surprised when I checked in PC Wizard and saw it reported as DDR2-800.

My motherboard is an ASUS P5B and wondered if there is a setting somewhere that I need to change.

I am concerned I am not getting the speed from the RAM I was expecting. I’ve attached the data being reported by PC Wizard (formatting has gone crazy!)……

Many thanks to anyone who can help!

General Information : DIMM0 (RAS 0, RAS 1) : 1024 (Single Bank) DIMM1 : Empty DIMM2 (RAS 4, RAS 5) : 1024 (Single Bank) DIMM3 : Empty Information SPD EEPROM (DIMM0) : Manufacturer : Corsair Part Number : CM2X1024-8500C5D Serial Number : Unspecified Type : DDR2-SDRAM PC2-6400 (399 MHz) - [DDR2-800] Format : Regular UDIMM (133.35 x 3) Size : 1024 MB (1 ranks, 8 banks) Module Buffered : No Module Registered : No Module SLi Ready (EPP) : Yes Width : 64-bit Error Correction Capability : No Max. Burst Length : 8 Refresh : Reduced (.5x)7.8 µs, Self Refresh Voltage : SSTL 1.8v Prefetch Buffer : 4-bit Manufacture : 2000 Supported Frequencies : 270 MHz, 400 MHz CAS Latency (tCL) : 4 clocks @270 MHz, 5 clocks @400 MHz RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 4 clocks @270 MHz, 5 clocks @400 MHz RAS Precharge (tRP) : 4 clocks @270 MHz, 5 clocks @400 MHz Cycle Time (tRAS) : 13 clocks @270 MHz, 18 clocks @400 MHz Min TRC : 16 clocks @270 MHz, 23 clocks @400 MHz EPP Profile #1 : Full Performance Voltage Level : 2.1V Address Command Rate : 2T Cycle Time : 1.875ns @533.33 MHz CAS Latency (tCL) : 5 clocks RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 5 clocks RAS Precharge (tRP) : 5 clocks Cycle Time (tRAS) : 15 clocks tRC : 22 clocks tWR : 8 clocks Information SPD EEPROM (DIMM2) : Manufacturer : Corsair Part Number : CM2X1024-8500C5D Serial Number : Unspecified Type : DDR2-SDRAM PC2-6400 (399 MHz) - [DDR2-800] Format : Regular UDIMM (133.35 x 3) Size : 1024 MB (1 ranks, 8 banks) Module Buffered : No Module Registered : No Module SLi Ready (EPP) : Yes Width : 64-bit Error Correction Capability : No Max. Burst Length : 8 Refresh : Reduced (.5x)7.8 µs, Self Refresh Voltage : SSTL 1.8v Prefetch Buffer : 4-bit Manufacture : 2000 Supported Frequencies : 270 MHz, 400 MHz CAS Latency (tCL) : 4 clocks @270 MHz, 5 clocks @400 MHz RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 4 clocks @270 MHz, 5 clocks @400 MHz RAS Precharge (tRP) : 4 clocks @270 MHz, 5 clocks @400 MHz Cycle Time (tRAS) : 13 clocks @270 MHz, 18 clocks @400 MHz Min TRC : 16 clocks @270 MHz, 23 clocks @400 MHz EPP Profile #1 : Full Performance Voltage Level : 2.1V Address Command Rate : 2T Cycle Time : 1.875ns @533.33 MHz CAS Latency (tCL) : 5 clocks RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 5 clocks RAS Precharge (tRP) : 5 clocks Cycle Time (tRAS) : 15 clocks tRC : 22 clocks tWR : 8 clocks Memory Controller Information : Memory Controller : DIMM, SDRAM Number of connectors : 4 Supported Speed : Unspecified Supported Voltages : 3.3v Error Detection Method : No Error Correction Capability : None Current/Supported Interleave : 1-way/1-way

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

Download CPU-z from

Enter your BIOS and make these changes:

Configure System Frequency/Voltage
AI Tuning - Manual
CPU Frequency = 266
DRAM Frequency - DDR2 1066Mhz
PCI Express Frequency = 100
PCI Clock Synchronization Mode = 33.33
Spread Spectrum = Enabled
Memory Voltage = 2.1v

Memory Remap Feature = Enabled (For 64Bit OS, otherwise Disabled)
Configure DRAM Timing By Spd = Disabled
DRAM CAS# Latency = 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge = 5
DRAM RAS#  Activate to Precharge = 15

Boot to the Memtest CD. Allow for two full passes. Then, if stable, enter Windows and run CPU-z. Post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Download CPU-z from

AI Tuning - Manual
CPU Frequency = 266
Memory Voltage = 2.1v

DRAM CAS# Latency = 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge = 5

Boot to the Memtest CD. Allow for two full passes. Then, if stable, enter Windows and run CPU-z. Post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Oh dear, seem to have hit severe problem! I did the first part of the changes and accidentally restarted system. That was OK as I went back into BIOS. Then I did second part of changes and this time it closed down but will not restart!

The PC powers up but displays NOTHING at all and doesn't give me the chance to get back into BIOS to reverse changes.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!

Download CPU-z from

AI Tuning - Manual
CPU Frequency = 266
Memory Voltage = 2.1v

DRAM CAS# Latency = 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge = 5

Well, I did the changes to BIOS and the PC wouldn't start up at all. Absolutely nothing displayed! So, I've chickened out and swapped the memory for the 800MHz version, which I know the motherboard should handle.

Reset the BIOS to defaults, installed new memory and back in business!

Thanks, anyway.

Download CPU-z from

AI Tuning - Manual
CPU Frequency = 266
Memory Voltage = 2.1v

DRAM CAS# Latency = 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge = 5

Right, have got the upgrade done, now!

Second job is to build a new PC and have spent all day putting it together. Up and running nicely, now!

The MB is an ASUS M3N78 PRO, which claims to support 1066MHz memory.

The memory I have is Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5D (2 1GB sticks).

I haven't made any changes in BIOS, assuming it would detect this and set to 1066, but, it hasn't and shows as running at 400MHz.

Are the BIOS changes I need to make the same as those above or, if not, could you be very kind and give me a new set, please?

Many, many thanks!

If you set up your E6600 to run@ 2.4GHZ with FSB of 266mhz with multiplier of 9 you should be able to reach PC28500 1066mhz on your Dominators if you set up your RAM to run with a 266/1066 RATIO.

With these settings you will reach designed speeds of both the CPU and the RAM.

Try this first. Once you can boot to these settings run MemTest86x from the boot up mode with a floppy or other bootable media source to check for memory failures.

Once your memory passes boot into OS and run all your favorite applications and games if any to see if you have any stability issues.

If your system crashes during the OS environment immediately run Memtest86x to check for memory failures.

After you are happy with the results you can begin to OC FSB to see how the dominators react with your system.

If you set up your E6600 to run@ 2.4GHZ with FSB of 266mhz with multiplier of 9 you should be able to reach PC28500 1066mhz on your Dominators if you set up your RAM to run with a 266/1066 RATIO.

With these settings you will reach designed speeds of both the CPU and the RAM.

Try this first. Once you can boot to these settings run MemTest86x from the boot up mode with a floppy or other bootable media source to check for memory failures.

Once your memory passes boot into OS and run all your favorite applications and games if any to see if you have any stability issues.

If your system crashes during the OS environment immediately run Memtest86x to check for memory failures.

After you are happy with the results you can begin to OC FSB to see how the dominators react with your system.

Thanks for the info! The system I am working on just now has different components than those listed in 'My System'.

The motherboard is an ASAU M3N78 Pro

The CPU is an AMD Athlon 7750 Black Edition

The RAM is CM2X1024-8500C5D

Can someone suggest appropriate settings to get the RAM running correctlly at 1066MHz, please?

I've attached screenshots from CPUZ for current setup.....

CPU.bmp

MB.bmp

Mem.bmp

SPD.bmp

• Corsair Employees
With the CPU that you have listed you would need to use or set the memory frequency at DDR800 and over clock the CPU, please check the link in my signature for the tested settings and I am sorry I cannot tell you how to over clcok but some of the other forum users can help you with that.

Thanks for the info! The system I am working on just now has different components than those listed in 'My System'.

The motherboard is an ASAU M3N78 Pro

The CPU is an AMD Athlon 7750 Black Edition

The RAM is CM2X1024-8500C5D

Can someone suggest appropriate settings to get the RAM running correctlly at 1066MHz, please?

I've attached screenshots from CPUZ for current setup.....

I'd like to be able to help you but I'm not familiar with AMD CPUS.

I've heard that they have many options for tuning.

What you want to do is set your "Bus SPeed" and multiplier to a speed that will put the CPU at the rated speed.

Once you do that check to see what speed your DDR2 is at. You have to adjust your memory ratios and speed to reach 1066mhz without overclocking your CPU.

Eveything has to match to be able to get it to boot up at the speed that the CPU and RAM are rated for.

Before you boot up run Memtest86x from a bootable "media" form.

Once passed your CPU and RAM should be within specifications.

You have to start there.

• Corsair Employees
What you want to do is set your "Bus SPeed" and multiplier to a speed that will put the CPU at the rated speed.

Once you do that check to see what speed your DDR2 is at. You have to adjust your memory ratios and speed to reach 1055mhz without overclocking your CPU.

That may not be possible with the CPU he has and if you read what I posted the way you have to set the memory is at DDR800 and over clock the CPU Frequency to get the memory to run at DDR1066 with his system configuration. You can only run the memory at DDR1066 with Phenom CPU.

Archived