Corsair Community

CM3X2GSD1066 vs. VSA4GSDSKIT1066 for new MBP

TheSwede86

Hi!

Thinking about buying new ram for my (soon to be) new MacBook Pro 15" (2.4GHz variant).

Then I got a bit confused:

2x CM3X2GSD1066 (tot. of 4GB) for around 70€

or

1x VSA4GSDSKIT1066 (a kit of 2x2GB, tot. of 4GB) for around 125€

The last one is "Mac Memory" and on my retailers site its also called "(MacBook Pro)".

But the spec's of both rams are the same (CL 7, 1066MHz, PC8500, SO-DIMM DDR3) so why would I buy the more expensive one (the kit) when the specs are identical and I save around 55€?

Are there any other advantage that I am not seeing?

Thanks in advance for your help - TheSwede86

Check the Corsair Compatibility Site, but from my quick searches only the VSA would be guaranteed to be compatible (hence the Value Select Apple line).

Thank you for your reply.

When I search I can't see anything under "Manufacturer", " Model Name" and " Information about the VSA4GSDSKIT1066 Module".

That's if I search for the RAM-models and if I search for the new MBP specifically (MB470LL/A, I'm unsure what Apple calls their new entry level MBP 15" 2.4GHz with DDR3) then as you say I can find:

VSA4GSDSKIT1066

&

VSA2GSDS1066

But then again if I compare VSA4GSDSKIT1066 & CM3X2GSD1066 they both have 204-pin SODIMM so EVERY SPEC IS THE SAME.

Can any Corsair technical advisor please confirm/deny that CM3X2GSD1066 would work with the new Apple MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz entry level laptop?

Also what the benefit would be with your "Apple line" of memory instead of the CM3X2GSD1066 if both are compatible?

• Corsair Employees

Officially we could only guarantee that what is listed by our memory configurator would be 100% compatible:

http://www.corsair.com/configurator/corsair_custom.aspx?id=843574

Unofficially, the memory is essentially the same, however they are qualified and tested in different platforms, and in some cases (depending on revision) they could be programmed slightly differently.

Officially we could only guarantee that what is listed by our memory configurator would be 100% compatible:

http://www.corsair.com/configurator/corsair_custom.aspx?id=843574

Unofficially, the memory is essentially the same, however they are qualified and tested in different platforms, and in some cases (depending on revision) they could be programmed slightly differently.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Case closed :D

Archived