Corsair Community

Vista 64 bit RANDOM Freezes - EVGA 780i SLI and 2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF

Deus512

Hi guys!

Well, my problem are random freezes in Vista. These freezes appear ONLY in Windows. This is driving me crazy.... :mad: Every game is working very well at highest settings. Memtest runs great without any errors so the RAM isn't bad.

I think because of the 8 GB RAM there is too much stress for my mainboard.

In the attachment you will find screenshots of my BIOS settings.

I hope that there is way to bring 100 % stability to my system running at 1066 MHz of RAM speed.

hm Are there any settings which I shoud change in my BIOS?

Greets!!

BIOS_Settings_Nummer3.thumb.JPG.6ab057a15987ae7bc92ae816980a7a57.JPG

The only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits. This does not mean two dual kits or even worse two dual kits of different versions or different manufacturers will not work together, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work together. If there are problems with the Corsair DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects and errors in a two stick kit mode. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules tested for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad and warranted as a dual kit, not a Quad setup. You need to Memtest them as Kits (2 modules, not as a four DRAM slot population). Keep in mind that there is no support for mixing and matching different versions of DRAM either since different version are of different fabrications and/or manufacturers. They might work, they might not work, but you have no support if they do not work. Thus you are advised to buy all the DRAM at the same time and in this way be more assured of getting the same versions. If you buy online, be sure to specify same versions of the modules.

You are advised to drop the bandwidth to 800Mhz and raise the NB Voltage +.2v.

Well, okay but I bought two sets of exactly the same RAM!

I set them down to 800 MHz. I also raised the Voltages a bit to get more stability.

In other boards there are some people who has a stable system with 8 GB of the Dominator XMS2 Dominator at 1066 MHz. Wicked Sick!

Greetz!!

See here: http://asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=77681 I had the same problem, and i sent them for replacement. The new ones work properly at almost 1066MHz, 1050 to be precise, i've hit the limit of my chipset.

They may not be exactly the same, check the serial numbers on each module. If the second serial isn't the same for each two modules of a kit, you probably received mismatched kits. Send'em back.

Yes, indeed you're right! They have not exactly the same serial number but the first two ciphers are identical.

The problem is that I bought the two kits last year at different time and different bargainer. :mad: Now I know that this was a mistake :[pouts:

Another possible theorie is that I have hit the limit of my mainboard like you with a bandwith of 1066 MHz.

Now at this time my RAM is running at 800 MHz. So I think if my mainboard has really a problem with my RAM because the kits are not 100 % identical I should get these freezes with these settings too, right?

I'm sure, if I use only one kit I would have no problems at all. Damn it! Next time I will buy only one big RAM kit for my PC systems :[pouts:

Greetz!

They will probably run at 900MHz properly, so you can try and get that. Regardless, it's not THAT big of a difference - 5% tops provided the CPU frequency is the same.

The reason i wanted them to run as high as possible is that my E6550's multi is just 7, so i need a very high FSB to reach good clocks, and the difference between 2.8GHz (400x7) and 3.67GHz (525x7) is significant. And i really didn't feel like buying a new CPU.

hm Right, I will try this option.

Another question is if it does make sens to set the bandwith of the RAM higher than the FSB which is in my case 400 MHz.

I set the QDR to 1600 MHz (4 x 400 ) so the correct bandwith of my RAM is 800 ( 2 x 400 ) MHz, right? ( 3,2 GHz for each core of my CPU )

For example if I want 3,6 GHz, I have to switch the QDR to 1800 MHz ( 4 x 450 ) and the RAM to 900 ( 2 x 450 ) MHz, correct?

In some way I don't think that setting the RAM to 1066 ( 2 x 533 ) MHz will bring so much more perfomance for my system.

Is my train of thought correct?

Cheers! :biggrin:

That's not more precisely, that's more concretely and of course there is a difference, however that being said, much of the difference is often theoretical.

What you are looking for is an illogical blanket statement. No one said there was no difference. You never implied such a thing. Yes, the difference is not anywhere near as marked as Newton's addition of velocities might apply since the difference is not simple velocity. The difference is "velocity implied under certain conditions" and this difference is for the purpose of following standards.

The speed of the Ram is far more beneficial when one thinks in terms of the overclock.

Those who do not overclock to create their best ratio of the overclock and marry that overclock with memory that is ratio rateable are enjoying minimal benefits in their system speed. Latencies are now far more important since Intel has also moved to the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) than pure bandwidth....

EXCEPT>>>>>

In overclocking, where once again, additional memory speed is necessary to create that ratio that allows for a faster CPU speed and THUS a faster MEMORY speed.

For what you speak of, the difference of the memories ability at a static cpu and memory controller speed versus the same statick cpu speed, memory controller speed and a raised memory speed is going to be far less marked and not concrete at all.

More precisely, THERE IS NO MORE performance when setting the bandwith of the RAM to 533 MHz and the FSB is running still at 400 MHz.

Is that right? :confused:

Thanks!

Archived