Corsair Community

Compaq Presario 2598us memory

rolonec

hi guys

My uncle bought 2 vs512sds333 modules to upgrade his old notebook to 1gb of ram.

According to your memory advisor this modules are fully compatibles with notebook.

I have installed the modules and the notebook won't boot.

The computer works flawlessly with 256 mb samsung modules (M470L3224FT0-CB3) that are also PC2700 and 333mhz.

The notebook cpu FSB runs at 533mhz with a Pentium 4 of 2.6ghz.

Please tell what could be the problem, and if I'm doing something wrong

Thank you for your time

Usually when changing RAM out in a notebook, you need to unplug the system and remove the notebooks battery pack for a minute or so, then put the battey pack back in, plug it in and fire it up. This forces the notebook's BIOS to run it's hardware detection procedure afresh rather than relying on stored values.

Try the above procedure with just one Corsair module installed first to see if it will recognize it. If it does then add the second module. Also on some Compaq's there's a reset button on the bottom that needs to be depressed (with a straightened paper clip ot the point of a ball point pen) in order to get the system's BIOS to see the new RAM.

thanks for the answer I already tried the things you wrote above but the notebook still does not recognize the modules.. maybe the modules are not compatibles and they will have to change that in the memory finder..

thank you

• Corsair Employees
Please take out all of the memory and then turn it on with no memory and it should beep or the lights will blink for no memory then tunr it off and install just one module and see if it will post.

ok now I've seen that you change the memory support to only

VS512SDS266 module on my uncle system's page (http://www.corsairmemory.com/configurator/system_results.aspx?id=203103), I looked for the modules before my uncle bought them. For that time your memory configuration page for this system showed that the VS512SDS333 module was compatible.

Please tell me if my uncle can return the modules to the reseller. The modules were bought to ANTOnline throught Amazon.com

Archived