Corsair Community

Asus A8R32MVP-Deluxe and TwinX Ram Question

ArmedTourist

Just hoping someone out there might have an explanation for what is going on. I just dropped into my 2nd paired slots a set of TwinX2048-3200C2PT which are rated at 200mhz, 2,3,3,6. I had in the first paired set a pair of TwinX CMX3200LLPT rated 200mhz 2.5,3,3,6. The first paired set are 512 a piece, and the new 2nd set are 1g each. No matter what config I run, or how I try and play with the bios settings, when both sets are in the board, it defaults to 100mhz, 3,3,3,8. Now after playing around a bit, updating the bios to 7.01, I can now without having the original first paired 512's in the board, run the new 2nd paired ram at 2,3,3,6 at 200mhz (forgot 2.75v for both), but if I go back to the original 512's alone they are now displaying and running at 3,3,3,8 but before I got the new ram and installed it, they ran at a nice 2.5,3,3,6 2.75v. I'm just a bit thrown off that once I put both sets of dual ram in, everything drops off and I can not manually set anything lower, and now if I just put the first set of 512's into the board it will not get back to the original settings but much slower settings. Any suggestions on getting them to work together? Are they actually rated to work together in this board? Did the 512's somehow take a dump? Any help, suggestions, much appreciated. Thanks in advance. (And I have taken it down to bare essentials and slowly added pieces back to make sure it wasnt an incompatability with some other piece of hardware, changed the bios to an older bios then upgraded to newest, reset the board to origianl bios and popped back to new, run it both from vista 32 and xp sp3, prayed to the allmighty hulahoop, etc.)

ArmedTourist

So you're attempting to mix:

TWIN2X1024-3200LLPT

TWINX2048-3200C2PT

Mixing memory of different sizes / timings / ICs is never recommended. The memory controller's going bonkers attempting to deal with it all. You can try these settings:

266 or 333 mhz @ 3-4-4-8 @ 2.75v.

You'll probably get more performance by just using the 2 GB pack.

Nope, settings didnt work. Now my old 512's are acting funny, on their own will not work with ay settings. i get bluescreen half of the time. even on my test board. Is there a way to "dumb" up the ram? make it forget what it is supposed to be running at because of the different IC's? Would the memory controller try to force it to always go to a set of settings? The new ram runs beautifully. I would just hate to know that I somehow caused the old ram (which in and of itself was schweet) to lose its capabilities.

Armed

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but you will not be able to mix memory with that MB, all of the modules would have to have the same SPD info and then with 4 modules you would need to set the memory frequency at DDR333

Thanks for all of the responses. I just had a couple of quick questions for the RaM Guy. Dropping the speed settings to 333 is because of the board when I go with 4 modules or the ram itself? Did Corsair make a dual pair of 512's (tryin to go for as much ram as possible and run in dual for 400mhz) that would match the the 1mb chips that I just got? If so where to go to get them? (this is of course no matter what I add, if I put 2 more modules in I would have to lower the settings to 333)? Danks in advance.

ZeArmedTourist

Speed drop is due to both actually. In the DDR1 series, you'd have to match the part # / version # / lot # to have a matched pair, and even then there's still no guarantee as they weren't tested together.

Danks. Just decided to put the old 512's in test board and go get another set of the 1g modules. Funny thing, in the test board were some odd pair of 512's in the first slots, by putting the new 512's in, I get dual channel 400mhz, 2.5 3,3,6 running sweetly. Can not figure it out, but what the hey it works and i am on to the next issue. Thanks again for all the responses.

ArmedTourist

Archived