Corsair Community

Help with CM2X1024-6400C4 kit

hc1001

Hi,

I have about 12 of these kits. some have gone bad over time. i have been testing them on a asus p5w dh deluxe by spd(shows 5-5-5-18), with 2.1v, at ddr2 800mhz, legacy usb turned off. 24 hours.

i have about 5 sets that fail memtest+ 2.11. im testing them in pairs(2 sticks).

should i test each stick separately after the kits have failed?

im mostly getting test 5 and 6 errors. the systems they were in were stable and then a couple months later, they started to crash or reboot randomly. the systems mostly do 3D rendering.

thanks for your help!

-Howie

• Corsair Employees
Yes please test them one at a time and you should load setup defaults and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and then set the tested settings Cas 4-4-4-12 at 2t Command Rate if its listed on that MB and you should also Disable legacy USB then test them one at a time. But normally errors on test 5-8 would suggest some other issue.

Yes please test them one at a time and you should load setup defaults and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and then set the tested settings Cas 4-4-4-12 at 2t Command Rate if its listed on that MB and you should also Disable legacy USB then test them one at a time. But normally errors on test 5-8 would suggest some other issue.

i will retest the failed kits by individual sticks at your suggested timings.

What should the Dram write recovery time be set at? its currently at 4.

i had left 2 systems running over the weekend to test at using by spd and 2.1v. no errors after 70 hours of testing. i think its less likely the system is the cause of the test 5-8 errors if some kits give errors and others dont. no overclocking, the only adjustments are memory voltage and usb legacy off. i can be wrong of course.

thanks, i will test using your settings on individual sticks...

Here is a pic i took of a kit that passed memtest and another pic of another kit that failed memtest on two different systems but same model motherboard. both motherboards have passed memtest for a whole weekend with two different, known to be good CM2X1024-6400C4 kits

i am testing the failed ram by individual sticks now. i will report back.

1.thumb.JPG.6a388388f56902dd2bac5a0434198958.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.df186be01026bed0772dbef5b0198278.JPG

The cpu temp is 32C in the BIOS. i dont know what it is when running memtest.

I dont believe it is a thermal or voltage issue. i had tested another kit and left it running during the weekend. there were no errors in 70 hours of testing. the test system is in a computer server room with an AC.

thanks.

i have started to test the 2X2gb 6400C5 kits and first pass of test 5 and 6 returned multiple errors. Another 2X2GB kit hanged on test 6, 16% into the test. memtest didnt crash, it was jus stuck on test 6 at 16% and no progress. it did return a unknown character in the area that displays errors.

the unknown character wasnt highlight in red. it was jus 1 or 2 unknown characters displayed.

does the asus P5wdh deluxe support corsair xms memory? im also running the latest bios.

• 2 weeks later...
Normally errors in tests 5-8 would suggest some other problem, and getting errors after 16 pass would suggest a thermal or voltage issue. What was your CPU Temp running at?

Doesnt the test run on different sectors of the memory on each pass? so if one sector is returning bad data, wont it always give an error?

i have tested other kits of the same model. they have passed for over 70 hours. why would they pass all the time and other kits fail all the time? that throws out the thermal or voltage issue...

The kits were working fine for 8 months. Then i noticed some computers crashing, randomly rebooting or not displaying anything after starting up... as if the memory went bad. i have replaced most of the corsair kits with another brand of memory and havent had any issues with the same systems since. Which makes me believe it is the memory.

I am now planning to use the left over corsair memory on older computers and rendering machines but i want to make sure im putting in good sticks.

thanks.

Archived