Corsair Community

Need help identifying burned component

locke777

Idiotically connected the ATX12V 4-pin the wrong way while installing a 620 HX powersupply, and witnessed a smoking component near the 4-pin slot for 2 seconds before disconnecting all power.

This is my mobo map:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01357064&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3750363#N945

The burned component is the nearest little black square directly North-Northeast of the 4-pin connector. (To the right of a black cap)

Anyone help me on identifying this and how bad it is?

Computer runs fine, can't detect any noticeable problems in any applications, no apparent probs with heat regulation.

Not sure myself, don't believe I forced it, I err on the side of clumsy rather than aggressive. The plastic on the connector doesn't look especially well molded, so it may have let me connect it the wrong way. Although it's possible that something else happened entirely. Regardless, that component is fairly well burned out, but everything else - vid card, new power supply, fans, etc - seems to be holding up fine regardless of what I throw at it.

I'm suspicious because I don't really expect an HP supplied mobo to be *this* fault-proof. Is it possible the component (if it's a voltage regulator or MOSFET or something) governs something that my setup doesn't use?

• Corsair Employees
I'm suspicious because I don't really expect an HP supplied mobo to be *this* fault-proof. Is it possible the component (if it's a voltage regulator or MOSFET or something) governs something that my setup doesn't use?

It would be very difficult to say. Unfortunately HP would be the only ones that would know for sure.

Archived