Corsair Community

Problem with 4 sticks XMS2-6400C4DHX

rahaman

Hi,

I'm new in this forum and I really like the answers' quality since I discovered this site...yesterday!

Here is my story :

Test With my previous MOBO (Asrock)

I have a previous motherboard (Asrock FullHD) and I have all these 8Gb to run many VMware machines under XP64bits. But I have a random reboot, especially when I used above 5-6 Gb of memory (as seen in task Manager), you can be sure that my PC rebooted...

I had also test my RAM with memtest86+ 1.70 (in ultimate CD). Here is the result:

-Each stick with 2 pass --> no error:D:

-2 sticks with 2 pass --> no error:roll:

-4 sticks with 2 pass --> many many error!!!:eek:

-So I'm sure that it was that mobo that do not support my 8gb:laughing:

Buying a new MOBO : P5Q Pro

...Yesterday I decided to buy a P5Q Pro and I'm really confident...But By launching my Virtual Machine, I can notice that it rebooted :mad: since I'm over 5-6 Gb but it's work ok when I'm using about 3-4 Gb:confused:

-At this time I decide to test all 4 sticks with Memtest and I have many errors on test#7, after around 1 hour.

-So I actually test 2 sticks only and it looks like OK. I'm sure that it will be Ok as with my previous motherboard.

-For these tests I exactly use parameters indicated in this post:

http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=77570 (great thanks to Dereckt:cool:)

I read in other forums that with 4 Gb there is no compatibility problem but with 8Gb maybe it didn't work because voltage problem with northbridge or something like that:[pouts:

So...after this long long story, do somebody have any idea? I think that it's a bios configuration problem, isn't it?:roll:

Your help will be very very appreciate!;):

The only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits. This does not mean two dual kits or even worse two dual kits of different versions or different manufacturers will not work together, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work together. If there are problems with the Corsair DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects and errors in a two stick kit mode. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad and warranted as a dual kit, not a Quad setup. You need to Memtest them as Kits (2 modules, not as a four DRAM slot population). If they fail as a kit or singly, then you have RMA. Keep in mind that there is no support for mixing and matching different versions of DRAM either since different version are of different fabrications and/or manufacturers. They might work, they might not work, but you have no support if they do not work. Thus you are advised to buy all the DRAM at the same time and in this way be more assured of getting the same versions. If you buy online, be sure to specify same versions of the modules.

You are advised to drop the bandwidth to 667Mhz and raise the NB Voltage +.2v. Also, you are advised to set the timings to the highest latencies of your modules which is 4-4-4-12 2T.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

Download CPU-z from

Insert a single stick of your prior memory in the first slot (closest to the CPU). Restart. Enter your BIOS. Set one stick in slot 1 (Closest to the CPU) and one stick in slot 3 enter BIOS, load setup defaults, save setup defaults and set to these values.

AI Overclock Tweaker

Configure System Performance Settings

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
CPU Ratio Setting = 9
FSB Frequency = 266
PCI-E Frequency = 100
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333

DRAM Timing Control = Manual

DRAM Frequency = DDR2-667
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS# Latency =  4
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 4
RAS# PRE Time = 4
RAS# ACT Time = 12
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) = 60 
Command Rate = 2T (2N)
All Else to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Auto
DRAM Read Training = Auto
Mem. OC Charger = Auto
AI Transaction Booster = Disabled
CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 2.1v
NB Voltage = 1.20v
SB Voltage = Auto
PCI-E SATA Voltage = Auto

Loadline Calibration = Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled
Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto
CPU GTL Voltage Reference = Auto
NB GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

Legacy USB = Disabled

Run Memtest for two full passes. If stable, Enter Windows, run CPU-z and post screenshots of the CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

Hi Derekt,

first of all, I'd like to thank you to your answer but I'm really surprised :eek:...If I well understood what you said, it's not normal to have 4 identical sticks? That's really amazing and I had never seen these information...So you say that I have to buy a Quad module...

It's really strange that mobo suppliers had never said that kind of problem in their documentation.

Is the problem happen only when we buy dual kit? is it only a problem with corsair Dual kit? If I buy single kit, can I use 4, garanteed to be ok?

For your info, I did test this morning and with only 2 sticks there is no problem with memtest...if I take the 2 other onem no problem at all. Conclusion: My memory works perfectly but only with 2 sticks:evil:

I will test value you advised to me, but I don't find on my mobo:

command rate : 2T (2N). Is there another term for it in P5Q?

and for "CPU Ratio Setting" = auto only, so impossible to change it!

Thanks a lot :sunglasse

Hi Derekt,

first of all, I'd like to thank you to your answer but I'm really surprised :eek:...If I well understood what you said, it's not normal to have 4 identical sticks? That's really amazing and I had never seen these information...

Lol im not alone :D

THAT feels good. But im sorry that you have similar issues as i do Rahaman.

Maybe Corsair can replace the ram for those who now is in similar "8GB config" situations. There is no info avaliable that you could not run two twin pairs. And just by saying "We have a quad model.." (that i belive was working only with 4GB anyway?) dont change the fact that you as customer could not possible figured this out in advance. Higher knowledge is not a consumer level, i want to blame Corsair for this but at the same time express my understanding that they have overlooked that this would happen.

Hi Enrick,

...So, I'm not alone too :D:

What do you do to solve this problem ? Do you try to test many many timing value in your bios to check if it could work? Or do you buy another sticks that permit 8Gb on your mobo? Please give me the reference please :roll:

I have a simple question : Is somebody knows which sticks I can buy to have 8Gb on my P5Q;):?

I think to buy a new one : Dual 8Gb like these one below, but it's not easy to find it in France : http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/Q2X8G6400C4DHX.pdf

...Hope this time (only 2 sticks!) it could be ok

As Dereckt advise to me, this night I will try some other DRAM timing value to expect to solve problem :p:

Is the problem happen only when we buy dual kit? is it only a problem with corsair Dual kit? If I buy single kit, can I use 4, garanteed to be ok?
Only QUAD kits are tested to run 4 at a time and therefore are the only kits that can be guaranteed to do so. It's mainly a limitation of the memory controller, whereas most have to lower the memory speed a notch when under full load.

Contact Corsair's cust service via email and see if they'll RMA your memory for a QUAD kit (Q2X8G6400C4DHX). Officially they can only swap like parts for like parts (e.g. the same part #), but it can't hurt to ask.

Hi Enrick,

...So, I'm not alone too :D:

What do you do to solve this problem ? Do you try to test many many timing value in your bios to check if it could work? Or do you buy another sticks that permit 8Gb on your mobo? Please give me the reference please :roll:

We cannot "solve it". The problem is on the manufacturers side, we can't do much. Yes i have tested lots of timings without luck. We could look at it as finding a needle in haystack. Yes i could buy Q2X8G6400C4DHX, but at this point it feels really bad doing it as i will waste allot of money no matter how i twist and turn this situation it will be bad, unless some miracle would happen and Corsair would agree to exchange my ram to Q2X8G6400C4DHX. Because i cannot get mine stable to 1066MHZ anyway, so it wont be "worse" than current.

I have a simple question : Is somebody knows which sticks I can buy to have 8Gb on my P5Q;):?

The only model available(?) is Q2X8G6400C4DHX

I think to buy a new one : Dual 8Gb like these one below, but it's not easy to find it in France : http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/Q2X8G6400C4DHX.pdf

...Hope this time (only 2 sticks!) it could be ok

As Dereckt advise to me, this night I will try some other DRAM timing value to expect to solve problem :p:

Wish you the best of luck!

Archived