Corsair Community

Twinx2048-3200c2pt in a Dell 4550

b1gfoot

I plugged in my memory modules only for them to get some post code beeps...never would boot up. Before I purchased them at Newegg I checked to see if they were compatible with my Dell Dimension 4550 motherboard with an Intel 845PE chipset on the Corsair site and they said it was compatible. Can you give me any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong or do I need a different set of modules. I have two 512meg DIMM's in right now for a total of 1gig working perfectly but I want to go up to 2gig to speed things up....any ideas.

thanks in advance.

I will try Newegg and see what they can do first...I appreciate your help. I know the Dell website says that the mobo can only go up to 1gig capacity, but there are many articles on the Net that say with the Intel 845PE chipset with the 08 revision to the chipset, that it is actually 2gig capacity with that mobo.

Obviously that did not work for me...I'm just trying to stretch this old computer out a little longer. I also found this on this website:

http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=4043

I'm a little confused about all the "flavors" of memory and have been hesitant to upgrade because of that and the link above was the only reason I went and and try to upgrade..

thanks again so much..

The issue is that the Dell BIOS is locked and cannot be manually set to run the voltage needed to run OCing type memory. Use the memory finder to search by your Dell model number, not the MOBO model number or chipset. I think WIRED has already linked it above.

If you had bought the MOBO seperately for a self build then the BIOS would not be locked but, in this case you have to comply with Dell specifications. And, it seems as if they have recommended a module that is not compatible.

The issue is that the Dell BIOS is locked and cannot be manually set to run the voltage needed to run OCing type memory. Use the memory finder to search by your Dell model number, not the MOBO model number or chipset. I think WIRED has already linked it above.

If you had bought the MOBO seperately for a self build then the BIOS would not be locked but, in this case you have to comply with Dell specifications. And, it seems as if they have recommended a module that is not compatible.

When you say the Dell BIOS is locked, do you mean I can't settings in the BIOS, because I can change settings or least I have in the past...

When you say the Dell BIOS is locked, do you mean I can't settings in the BIOS, because I can change settings or least I have in the past...

I see the problem now, the memory sticks are at 2.7v and my board only does 2.5v and you were right the Dell BIOS is locked or unchangeable as far as I can tell...the funny thing is that I got this info about upgrading to 2gig of the Dell forums:

http://en.community.dell.com/wikis/desktop/dimension-4550-maximum-memory-2gb-not-1gb.aspx

This is why I waited before upgrading because all of the different variations of memory...I thought I had found it in Corsair because of the memory configuator...

Archived