Corsair Community

MSI 865PE Neo2 /w 2X Corsair CMX256-3200LLPT

SittingDuck

Hello all, thx for your interest in helping me with my problem. I am getting random reboots in windows XP. In the following posts I will explain my setup and the things I have tried to resolve this situation in as much detail as you need. I have narrowed it down to memory as my MAIN suspect. PLS HELP! :confused:

OS: Windows XP Pro SP1 PS: New Turbolink 420W P4 Compatible Motherboard: MSI 865PE Neo2-PFISR (BIOS 3.6) CPU: Intel P4 2.8C 800 FSB Memory: 2X 256MB Corsair CMX256A-3200LLPT (Slots 1/3 or 2/4) Video Card: ATI AIW 9600 (4.3 Catalyst) (1.5V) Hard Drive: WD 120GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Sound Card: Integrated (Newest Driver from MSI) Keyboard: Logitech Elite Mouse: Logitech MX500

I have read A LOT of forum posts both on Corsair's and MSI's sites. Based on what I have read I did the following. 1. I raised the voltage on the RAM to 2.75 in .05 increments. 2. I lowered the DRAM Timings in the BIOS to 3-4-4-8 with a burst of 8 3. I disabled support for Legacy USB 4. I manually selected 400Mhz as the DDR speed as opposed to Auto 5. I physically moved the DIMMs from slots 1/3 over to 2/4 I should note that nothing is overclocked. With Quick Boot disabled, both sticks of memory pass the test. Windows XP recognizes 512MB of RAM. My pagefile is setup properly. SiSandra 2004 will perform all tests/benchmarks that come with the demo version. Memtest86 deserves a post of its own, and prime95 gives me a fatal error (hardware related) right off the bat. I will be as specific as possible if you need more details. Thanks again for your help! I need a stable system.

I flashed the BIOS to 3.6 which is from my understanding is the most recent. I would love to get a hold of a beta version if it specifically resolves my issue. I have the performance setting set to Normal, but have tried fast, etc... Again I am not overclocking at all. However, I would love to know exactly what speed I can run the memory at given 3-4-4-8 timings.

Besides the memory, I am having doubts about my AGP setup. Here is a quote from the product description on MSI: One AGP slot supports 8x/4x at 0.8V (AGP 3.0) or 4x at 1.5V (3.3V is not supported). I have mine set to 8X at 1.5V. However, this doesn't explain the memory errors that I have received. This value is auto generated, however I can change it.

Quote: THAT'S RIGHT.. this is the "MAT PROBLEM" Since corsair, unlike OCZ does not relax the SPD timings, but rather ships it at spec, we are having stability issues with the corsair LL dual channel ram here in its co-existence with "MAT"..The only way to get the corsair ram to run at spec would be to run in ultra turbo mode and pump up the ddr voltage. [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?q=865PE+corsair+LL+group:alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar&selm=b_OTa.11174%24ff.7335%40fed1read01&rnum=1[/url] This is in regards to the 875 chipset, are they similar enough?

I haven't tried this yet, but after investigating this MAT issue with LL DIMMs, others having similar problems as me have had luck with the following settings. 1. Configure the timings from SPD 2. Change the performance mode to Ultra Turbo [url]http://anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.html?i=1828&p=18[/url]

• Corsair Employees
Well first thing, I do not know who posted that, however that does not sound realistic. I have tested this MB along with many other MB's from MSI and there is no problem that I know of, other that their bios can be a bit, tricky to configure. In addition, MAT is a performance setting defined by MSI and not by Intel and as such would not be supported. Sorry! I would suggest that you set the timings to By SPD and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts and set the performance mode to fast and test the system with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and let s make sure one is not failing. If you get errors please test the modules one at a time. I would also suggest that you do a search for this model and I think you will see quite a few posts with possible solutions.

After all of my research, I feel like an idiot for not testing the memory modules individually instead of thinking it was a BIOS problem. I tested both of the DIMMs individually in slot 1. I booted up to the memtest86 tests. One module passed all with flying colors, the second received 690 errors in the first pass, but could still boot to windows xp with both sticks. Wierd! LMAO I need to go through the RMA process. I would rather do that through Corsair, to see how good your customer service really is.

Archived