Corsair Community

dell studio XPS memory upgrade Question

adt721

Hi all,

I have a new Dell Studio XPS with the i7 920 CPU. It came with 4GB of Ram, Vista Home Prem. 64 Bit, and I want to upgrade.

My question is:

1. I thought DDR3 was supposed to be in 3's (I have 4 x 1GB from Dell).:confused:

2. I was looking at the (Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 XMS3 6 GB 3 x 2 GB PC3-10666 1333MHz 240-Pin DDR3 Core i7 Memory Kit) from Amazon.

Will this work in my system (Dell spec is 1066MHz - 8500). Is this memory backward compatible to 1066MHz:confused:

3. Any idea What Motherboard is in this system!

Thanks for the help:D:

Thanks for the reply:D:

So, my puter is not running at optimal.:eek: Will the memory listed in the first post work:confused:

If it will work, can I use 3 x 1GB of the old memory with the new and still be running triple channel ??

Any thoughts on the other 2 ?'s

• Corsair Employee
You are welcome to try it but I would make sure the reseller will let you send it back if it does not work if you do decide to give it a try. However, officially I have no information on that system and would not be able to gave an official thumbs up so its at your own risk. But yes the modules TR3X6G1333C6 will or should be able to run at DDR1066 1.5 Volts.

Thanks for the reply RAMGUY:D:

What DDR3 memory would you recommend to run triple channel on this machine:confused:

I dont plan to OC and would like to have 6 or 9GB of mem.

Archived