Corsair Community

ASUS P5N-D SLI with 4 RAM modules

carrion

I tried to use 4x 1GB modules of RAM -Corsair 1024 6400C4DHX but the system goes very very unstable! After many tries and some switch over the modules to see if there is any bad of those.. I ended up to the conclusion that the problem is when all 4 slots of memory are in use. Is this usual for this motherboard?

I tried latencies of 4-4-4 13 - 15 @ 2.1volts and the system got frozen after bios post.

Then I tried latencies of 5-5-5 18 - 22 @ 2.1 volts and the system froze at windows start up.

After that I decided to use the 3 modules of RAM and there are no problems.

Is there any way to use all 4 modules of RAM?

My ram modules are : CM2X1024-6400C4DHX ver 2.1

CM2X1024-6400C4DHX ver 5.1

I'll be very grateful for your help!

P.S. Sorry for my English.

Try dropping the speed down to 667.

Is there any point to drop the speed? I'm asking cause the main reason for me to use the 4 gigs is the performance.

And thats why I don't want to stay with the 3 gigs because I would like to take advantage of the dual channel.

If this the only way to make them work, guess I choose the wrong motherboard!

Using 4 dimm will never run as fast as 2, not on any motherboard. The only way to get "for sure" performance of advertiised specs would be to buy a quad matched set, which are very hard to find. Otherwise it is prety much luck of the draw how well 4 will work.. luck depending on the RAM binning, the Motherboard memory controller, the CPU, Powersupply, etc etc.

Generally the only way to get a 4 dimm setup to work is to underclock the ram, even onteh most advanced motherboards.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I tried to use all 4 modules with different timings.. and the only stable setup was at 667Mhz with latencies of 5-5-5-18-22 @ 2.1 Volts.

With these settings the prime95 was running stable for many hours.

But, I mostly play games with this computer and I saw that the results with 2 dimms are better than 4 dimms at 667MHz.

I didn't know how hard is to setup 4 modules at normal speed (800Mhz) that ASUS says this motherboard supports..

I guess that the best solution now is to get a 4GB kit (2x2048).

Carrion

For gamers, this is the best DRAM population. Your games will run best in this mode.

You will note that motherboard manufacturers state a capacity and speed, not a capacity at that speed. They state 8GB and 1066Mhz ( or such ) but they do not state 8GB at 1066Mhz.

I guess that the best solution now is to get a 4GB kit (2x2048).

Archived