Corsair Community

MSI K7N2 Delta-L FSB 200 gave me Blue Screen in Win XP

Quarterr

Currently my system is running stable with Athlon XP 3200+ Barton FSB set to 166, and CORSAIR TWINX1024-3200C2PT timings set to 1:1 6-3-3-2.5 and DRAM voltage at 2.6V.

But whenever I try to increase the FSB to 200, which is actually the speed it should run for Athlon XP 3200+, I always encounter Blue screen errors in WinXP Pro like "STOP 0x0000008E" or "0x0000007F Begin of Physical Memory dumping" etc.

I've tried changing the memory timings to By Spd and auto, DRAM voltage to 2.5,2.7(highest in Bios) but I still keep getting the same blue screen error whenever I load a program or game. The only fix I have right now is to switch the FSB back to 166, and then it'll become stable with no crashes or errors.

My motherboard is MSI K7N2 Delta-L 462(A) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD Motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130419

My Memory is CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145450

My Processor is AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Barton 2.2GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket A Single-Core Processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103391

Just wondering if any of you guys have a clue as to what causes it?

The 3200+ needed a lot of voltage. Have you overclocked it? If so what speeds and voltages did you use? Do you have good cooling on the CPU? Have you removed the heatsink and applied new thermal interface material (TIM)?

If you have not overclocked it and if the CPU Voltage is on Auto, then you might want to set the CPU voltage manually. This CPU has a marked voltage swing as well. The default voltage is 1.65v. I would set to 1.7v and test with Memtest V2.11 and Prime95. Also, I would set the DRAM voltage to 2.75v. The machine's getting up there and a bit more juice can sometimes make the grade.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Download Prime95 from-->

Boot to the memtest CD and allow for two full passes. If stable, enter Windows and run Prime95 and watch your CPU temperature. I'm not sure if your board gives the thermals of the CPU but if it does, it is getting the data from a thermal diode on the motherboard CPU socket. Test the memory first though at 400Mhz with the CPU at 200Mhz.

I have never overclocked the CPU and I am using Thermaltake Heatsink with Arctic Silver V paste. I have not removed or touched it since the day I installed it. I assume my core Voltage is still set to default at 1.65V and according to CPU-Z it goes up and down in between 1.616 V - 1.648 V.

I'll take your advice and change the CPU voltage to 1.7 and DRAM voltage to 2.7V (Options available in BIOS are auto,2.5,2.6,2.7), there's no 2.75V option available.

I have a feeling it's a Power supply issue, the PS I have right now is only 350Watt Dynex brand which isn't a high quality PS.

Thank you for the reply.

This could well be a power issue. Test the memory first though. If it errors then you don't have to buy a PSU.

I have never overclocked the CPU and I am using Thermaltake Heatsink with Arctic Silver V paste. I have not removed or touched it since the day I installed it. I assume my core Voltage is still set to default at 1.65V and according to CPU-Z it goes up and down in between 1.616 V - 1.648 V.

I'll take your advice and change the CPU voltage to 1.7 and DRAM voltage to 2.7V (Options available in BIOS are auto,2.5,2.6,2.7), there's no 2.75V option available.

I have a feeling it's a Power supply issue, the PS I have right now is only 350Watt Dynex brand which isn't a high quality PS.

Thank you for the reply.

Archived