Corsair Community

TR3X6G1333C9 instead of TR3X6G1600C9 with the i7 920

mike2h

My first post - so thanks to all those giving such helpful advice - both non Corsair staff and Ramguy.

Context: to use i7 920 and Deluxe P6T for photo and video editing (not games - sorry) maybe trivial CUDA programming too.

Q1 Is there a significant loss in speed/efficiency adding a second 6gb ram pack to the Asus P6T? (see hw specs).

Q2 In photo/video editing is there a significant efficieny speed loss using TR3X6G1333C9 instead of TR3X6G1600C9 with the i7 920

I GUESS the answer is that 12gb TR3X6G1333C9 is the optimal pack for photo/video editing with the Core i7 920

(As a bonus it would be good to stable OC 3.4 mhz to 3.6 mhz AND have HT and Turbo enabled without conflict - is that asking too much.)

All the hardware in my profile due to arrive this week - so trying one last attempt to 'tune' the spec.

Note - never overclocked before so - if I am off topic, my apologies.

You need an aftermarket cooler such as the Thermalright Ultra Xtreme 120 if you intend to overclock this beastie.

If you want to run with 12GB, overclock and video edit, then I suggest 1333Mhz memory in a six module kit. This is the only memory that is tested and validated to work in a 12GB mode. Two kits of memory are NOT the same as one six module kit.

HX3X12G1333C9

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145233&Tpk=HX3X12G1333C9

http://corsair.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/vcode=PGCRS/partnum=HX3X12G1333C9/

My first post - so thanks to all those giving such helpful advice - both non Corsair staff and Ramguy.

Context: to use i7 920 and Deluxe P6T for photo and video editing (not games - sorry) maybe trivial CUDA programming too.

Q1 Is there a significant loss in speed/efficiency adding a second 6gb ram pack to the Asus P6T? (see hw specs).

Q2 In photo/video editing is there a significant efficieny speed loss using TR3X6G1333C9 instead of TR3X6G1600C9 with the i7 920

I GUESS the answer is that 12gb TR3X6G1333C9 is the optimal pack for photo/video editing with the Core i7 920

(As a bonus it would be good to stable OC 3.4 mhz to 3.6 mhz AND have HT and Turbo enabled without conflict - is that asking too much.)

All the hardware in my profile due to arrive this week - so trying one last attempt to 'tune' the spec.

Note - never overclocked before so - if I am off topic, my apologies.

Thanks for prompt response.

The HX3X12G1333C9 looks good.(Have just read the sticky on danger of 'mixing batches')

So in ram speed/efficiency terms for for photo/video editing on i7 920 with the P6T Deluxe - it seems that 12 gb 1333C9 is 'better than' 6 gb 1600C9?

Point taken re temps. I am buying Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 - have amended system specs.

With my proposed rig is it possible to have stable OC 3.4 mhz to 3.6 mhz AND have HT and Turbo enabled without conflict or adverse affect on ram.

There is a marked difference when working with large rendering maps and many steps backward. Video editing is even more marked when multiplexing and converting. You should have no problem with 3.6ghz.

Thanks for prompt response.

The HX3X12G1333C9 looks good.(Have just read the sticky on danger of 'mixing batches')

So in ram speed/efficiency terms for for photo/video editing on i7 920 with the P6T Deluxe - it seems that 12 gb 1333C9 is 'better than' 6 gb 1600C9?

Point taken re temps. I am buying Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 - have amended system specs.

With my proposed rig is it possible to have stable OC 3.4 mhz to 3.6 mhz AND have HT and Turbo enabled without conflict or adverse affect on ram.

This may explain some of my issues with my original set of Ver8.1 memory which has been completely stable and the two sets of Ver1.1 that I have tried to pair with thus far. The current set of Ver1.1 I have does not seem to even want to work in triple channel. The first set of Ver1.1 that I had worked for about a day and then gave up the ghost. when run in combination with the Ver8.1 kit.

Here's the real kicker. The Ver1.1 Kit that I have will not work in triple channel by itself. But I can get 5 Dimms to post as triple channel 1600 using XMP and it reads at 10GB. If I use all three in slots A0, B0, C0 with the Ver1.1 kit it reads 4GB Dual Channel. The Ver8.1 has worked all 6GB @1600 with XMP since day one which was the first week of Feb when I built the system.

So is my best bet to try to find another v8.1 kit if I want to run 12GB? Also it seems kinda strange to have a V8.1 and V1.1 out at the same time, bit of a jump in version number.

Archived