Corsair Community

System unstable at 1066 with Asus M3N78 Pro and TWIN2X4096-8500C5D

Pwny

It seems my system is unstable whenever I attempt to manually set the RAM speed to 1066. I am able to post and sometimes get into Windows, however the system eventually crashes. At 1066 speed, the RAM fails the memory test provided in Vista.

I have manually set the RAM voltage to 2.155v (I believe that is the exact setting available in the BIOS). I have also tried both Ganged and Unganged modes.

Unless I am mistaken, the RAM I am using is part of Asus's QVL.

My system is currently running at DDR2-800 without any issues. At this speed, Vista's memory test also passes successfully.

Any help is appreciated.

These Phenoms are known to have wonky memory controllers and more can not run at 1066 than can so you may be running around looking for a fix when the issue is not the memories ability to run at 1066 and is the memory controllers ability to run with that speed.

I advise running with 800Mhz DDR2 parts on Phenom/Phenom II and 1333Mhz DDR3 on Phenom II DDR3.

For your research:

http://www.google.ca/search?pz=1&ned=ca&hl=en&q=Phenom+problems+with+1066&btnmeta%3Dsearch%3Dsearch=Search+the+Web

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/search.php?searchid=3143588

I would return the memory for 800Mhz memory. Or, you can set the 1066Mhz memory to 800Mhz with a voltage of 2.1v and the latencies to 4-4-4-12 and test. This is very close to the same speed as 1066Mhz of 5-5-5-15.

Thanks for the reply. Specifically doing a Google search for 1066MHz issues regarding a 9850 Black Edition Phenom yields so little results, I don't really believe it's an issue for me. The results from my search where people were experiencing problems with the same processor and 1066MHz speed RAM seemed focused on getting it to work with an 8GB setup or an overclocked system. I am only trying to get my system to work with the rated default settings, as in a CPU, motherboard, and RAM which support DDR2 at 1066Mhz speeds.

These Phenoms are known to have wonky memory controllers and more can not run at 1066 than can so you may be running around looking for a fix when the issue is not the memories ability to run at 1066 and is the memory controllers ability to run with that speed.

I advise running with 800Mhz DDR2 parts on Phenom/Phenom II and 1333Mhz DDR3 on Phenom II DDR3.

For your research:

http://www.google.ca/search?pz=1&ned=ca&hl=en&q=Phenom+problems+with+1066&btnmeta%3Dsearch%3Dsearch=Search+the+Web

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/search.php?searchid=3143588

I would return the memory for 800Mhz memory. Or, you can set the 1066Mhz memory to 800Mhz with a voltage of 2.1v and the latencies to 4-4-4-12 and test. This is very close to the same speed as 1066Mhz of 5-5-5-15.

If you say so. I just build the systems. :D:

Good luck.

Edit:

I need to be clear so as not to seem sarcastic. When building a system, I do not want to do more than insert the hardware, set the values, test with a live pre-installation environment CD and move on.

1066 for Phenom/Phenom 2 (DDR2) and 1600Mhz Phenom 2 (DDR3) often do not work at those speeds and I can only see it being a quality of the memory controller issue since the same board with a different CPU might make the 1066Mhz. Some do, many do not. So, rather than play around with the system, I advise 800Mhz for Phenom/Phenom II DDR2 and 1333Mhz for Phenom II DDR3.

Thanks for the reply. Specifically doing a Google search for 1066MHz issues regarding a 9850 Black Edition Phenom yields so little results, I don't really believe it's an issue for me. The results from my search where people were experiencing problems with the same processor and 1066MHz speed RAM seemed focused on getting it to work with an 8GB setup or an overclocked system. I am only trying to get my system to work with the rated default settings, as in a CPU, motherboard, and RAM which support DDR2 at 1066Mhz speeds.

I understand your intention to help, but I just can't seem to find sufficient information online to make me believe that my specific processor suffers from an inherent inability to run at it's advertised supported 1066MHz memory frequency. Out of 44 reviews on Newegg for the OEM part I ordered, not one mention of this apparent "known issue" is made. For the retail version, not one bad review states anything about the CPU not being able to run with 1066MHz RAM (I was reluctant to sift through the 8 pages of 100 reviews with ratings of 4/5; it just did not seem plausible that a review would be close to perfect/perfect with a con so deal-breaking).

When building a machine, you should be able to set the values at it's supported, advertised settings without any hitches. Overclocking is something I am not interested in presently; I just care about getting my system to run stable for its intended frequencies.

If you say so. I just build the systems. :D:

Good luck.

Edit:

I need to be clear so as not to seem sarcastic. When building a system, I do not want to do more than insert the hardware, set the values, test with a live pre-installation environment CD and move on.

1066 for Phenom/Phenom 2 (DDR2) and 1600Mhz Phenom 2 (DDR3) often do not work at those speeds and I can only see it being a quality of the memory controller issue since the same board with a different CPU might make the 1066Mhz. Some do, many do not. So, rather than play around with the system, I advise 800Mhz for Phenom/Phenom II DDR2 and 1333Mhz for Phenom II DDR3.

After investigating this issue further, I noticed that Asus lists the RAM sticks under their A* tier DIMM Socket Support configuration. This configuration explicitly says, "Supports one module inserted into either slot as Single-channel memory configuration." After doing a little research, it seems that single-channel, unganged mode is the ideal settings for a multi-core, multi-threaded environment.

I reseated my RAM to fit this criteria (making all appropriate BIOS changes beforehand, taking one RAM stick from the paired yellow set to a black set, and confirming the changes after the hardware modification); the issue still persists. Under this configuration, Windows Vista failed to boot at all (including Safe Mode). Vista memory tests reports an error during the first pass around the 20% mark.

I'd like some feedback regarding my hardware, the compatibility, and if I am following the appropriate settings outlined by both Asus and Corsair.

On a side note, I am using the Coolermaster V8 if there are any questions regarding CPU heat dissipation. Also, my motherboard's current BIOS version is incapable of modifying memory latencies. The latencies that are being applied to the RAM are more relaxed than the advertised settings.

Current settings: Single channel, unganged mode at DDR2 800MHz.

I'm having the same issue and i'm on intel. Also other RAM in the same quantity and configuration worked at 1000MHz while the Corsair can't run Windows for 2 minutes at that. Perhaps Corsair is trying to hide that their "1066" RAM actually contains rebadged 800MHz chips, and not all of them can actually do 1066?

What i find suspicious is that the JEDEC 800MHz timings are 5-7-7-24. Even value DDR2-800 with no heatspreaders has better default timings.

Regardless, i'll be getting mine swapped tomorrow and letting you know of the result.

I think you need to rethink your attack. For your information, ALL memory that is specified a value greater (faster) than JEDEC is either 800Mhz or 1066 (7-7-7-20) JEDEC and has been binned (Tested) for higher values and then sold at those speeds.

For you to say that Corsair is possibly rebadging memory shows you have no idea how the memory selection process is accomplished. The method I spoke of is how ALL memory companies select memory, either by their own testing (Corsair and a select few others) or at the manufacturing fabricator level.

If you find memory that errors at the sold speed, then RMA the memory rather than turning around and creating hypothesis with NO evidence.

That's called rumor mongering.

Perhaps Corsair is trying to hide that their "1066" RAM actually contains rebadged 800MHz chips, and not all of them can actually do 1066?

Sorry to hear about your similar woes, Th3_uN1Qu3, but please start a separate thread considering our differences in hardware configuration.

DerekT, I find it rather hypocritical of you to accuse Th3_uN1Qu3 of rumor mongering. You have made the assumption that my processor suffers from an inherent, known defect, yet you have not supplied any source materials to back that up. The two links you have provided showed me a Google search that offered no significant signs of your claim while the other showed me this forum site stating, "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

I am patiently looking forward to some productive insight into my system.

I think you need to rethink your attack. For your information, ALL memory that is specified a value greater (faster) than JEDEC is either 800Mhz or 1066 (7-7-7-20) JEDEC and has been binned (Tested) for higher values and then sold at those speeds.

For you to say that Corsair is possibly rebadging memory shows you have no idea how the memory selection process is accomplished. The method I spoke of is how ALL memory companies select memory, either by their own testing (Corsair and a select few others) or at the manufacturing fabricator level.

If you find memory that errors at the sold speed, then RMA the memory rather than turning around and creating hypothesis with NO evidence.

That's called rumor mongering.

You mistake me. I am giving you my own personal knowledge working in the industry. The issue is out there regardless of your inability to find the issue.

I had hoped that you could do your own research and gave you a few links to show that the issue is there.

http://www.google.ca/search?pz=1&ned=ca&hl=en&q=Phenom+problems+1066Mhz&btnmeta%3Dsearch%3Dsearch=Search+the+Web

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=460293

Honestly, Athlon64s have long exhibited similar behavior. It's almost as if the memory controller is deadlocked to the target internal clock. Memory has been overclockable forever, but I think people have enjoyed the placebo effect with AMD since the Athlon64. Performance goes up a touch, but then goes nowhere almost immediately regardless of what you throw at it. I'm not sure what the purpose of that is, considering hypertransports generate their own clock. It may be a design limitation.

You see, there used to be northbridge/memory controller manufacturers who had a responsibility to the motherboard designers to build in additional "quality" which is where overclocking comes from. But if you just arbitrarily decide to secretly throttle your on-die memory controller to save costs and nobody notices, then who cares?

It's your system. Research this issue. It is out there and I add my own personal knowledge building Phenom/Phenom II systems.

At any rate, good luck and I am sorry if you find my own personal knowledge in this event to be rumoring. I certainly will not re-enter your thread.

Good luck.

DerekT, I find it rather hypocritical of you to accuse Th3_uN1Qu3 of rumor mongering. You have made the assumption that my processor suffers from an inherent, known defect, yet you have not supplied any source materials to back that up. The two links you have provided showed me a Google search that offered no significant signs of your claim while the other showed me this forum site stating, "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

I am patiently looking forward to some productive insight into my system.

I fail to see how those links are relevant to my system. The first is the very same Google search given earlier; no specifics regarding hardware is given. The results deal with a multitude of varying Phenom processors, many of them not equivalent to mine. The issues being reported are also different; I see issues with trying to run at 1066MHz for 8GB of RAM or issues to achieve that speed in an overclocked system. The link you provided me from PC Perspective is dealing with a tri-core processor that is being overclocked. How are these issues similar to mine? As stated earlier, I am simply trying to get my system up and running with the stock, advertised settings.

To imply that I am not researching this issue is brash. This is why I am in the forums. I have looked into my processor and its ability to run at DDR2 1066MHz; I have yet to see the smoking gun. Showing me links generalizing my part with older, pre-B3 revision ones or newer Phenoms utilizing DDR3 is not helpful.

Simply stating that my processor suffers from an issue that is "out there regardless of [my] inability to find the [it]" without providing relevant evidence is absolutely rumor mongering.

You mistake me. I am giving you my own personal knowledge working in the industry. The issue is out there regardless of your inability to find the issue.

I had hoped that you could do your own research and gave you a few links to show that the issue is there.

http://www.google.ca/search?pz=1&ned=ca&hl=en&q=Phenom+problems+1066Mhz&btnmeta%3Dsearch%3Dsearch=Search+the+Web

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=460293

It's your system. Research this issue. It is out there and I add my own personal knowledge building Phenom/Phenom II systems.

At any rate, good luck and I am sorry if you find my own personal knowledge in this event to be rumoring. I certainly will not re-enter your thread.

Good luck.

If you say so. I gave you my view. Another attacks Corsair saying that they are possibly culpable in creating memory that will not work as spec'd and you try and create a comparision to my view and what I have PERSONALLY SEEN, to his extraneous diatribe attacking Corsairs moral business ethics.

I will just remove myself from the plethora of AMD Phenom/Phoenom II posts requesting help attempting to reach 1066Mhz.

As a system integrator, the last thing I need or want is to spend amounts of time trying to get a system to perform to the specs of the memory. I find Phenom/Phenom II to be problematic with high speed memories.

By problematic I mean that given the identical platforms, two Phenom processors can bring forth two events being working and not working in the high end speed. I have found this more than once and because of that I advise 800Mhz with Phenom and Phenom II and 1333Mhz with Phenom II DDR3.

Simply stating that my processor suffers from an issue that is "out there regardless of [my] inability to find the [it]" without providing relevant evidence is absolutely rumor mongering.

Investigating the issue further, I believe I may have found the problem. It appears one of my RAM sticks may be the culprit.

I decided to test out the RAM individually at 1066MHz, 2.155V, Unganged. With one stick, I am able to boot into Vista without any issues. I am currently running the system with this setup with 60% RAM utilization. I will run some graphical benchmarks to ensure stability.

In my attempt for the other stick, Vista failed to boot. I made 3 separate attempts, each one failing with a blue screen. One attempt allowed me to enter the login screen, only to fail after an abnormally long load to process my desktop.

Each stick was placed in the same DIMM slot.

If there is an authorized Corsair representative available, I would appreciate their assessment on my troubleshooting techniques.

I have run Half-Life 2: Lost Coast's benchmark multiple times without any issues with the one known good RAM stick at 1066MHz. I understand this is a crude measure of stability, but it is significant considering I was unable to run Steam with both RAM sticks installed at 1066MHz when I was able to boot into Vista.

Note that Corsair is currently closed. Their hours of operation are at the top of every page.

Their testing schema is listed in the FAQ area, but to sum it up, reset the BIOS, set the appropriate speed / timings / voltage manually, test one stick at a time in each slot using Memtest86+ v2.11.

I tested the suspected "good" RAM stick first; I let it ran for 2 passes for about 47min 30sec with no errors.

Afterward, I replaced the stick with the suspected "bad" RAM; about 7min into the test, 4 errors were found.

This test was ran with DDR2 speed manually set to 1066MHz, 2.155V, and Ganged mode disabled. The timings, as I mentioned earlier, are not controllable by the user with the current BIOS version and are set at a more relaxed state.

I did not test the other DIMM slots since these two tests have affirmed my assumptions.

Suffice it to say, I am rather disappointed. My system is currently running with both sticks at 800MHz, 1.8V (Auto, so I am assuming that is the voltage), single-channel, unganged.

Auto is 1.5v JEDEC standard.

RAM GUY will deal with this tomorrow.

I tested the suspected "good" RAM stick first; I let it ran for 2 passes for about 47min 30sec with no errors.

Afterward, I replaced the stick with the suspected "bad" RAM; about 7min into the test, 4 errors were found.

This test was ran with DDR2 speed manually set to 1066MHz, 2.155V, and Ganged mode disabled. The timings, as I mentioned earlier, are not controllable by the user with the current BIOS version and are set at a more relaxed state.

I did not test the other DIMM slots since these two tests have affirmed my assumptions.

Suffice it to say, I am rather disappointed. My system is currently running with both sticks at 800MHz, 1.8V (Auto, so I am assuming that is the voltage), single-channel, unganged.

What will testing the RAM at DDR800 prove? If one RAM stick passes at 1066MHz, should not the other one pass as well?

I will test the RAM at DDR800, but I do not see the relevance in testing the RAM's abilities at a lower frequency.

If you set the memory frequency at DDR800 will they both pass http://www.memtest.org one at a time with legacy USB disabled?

What will testing the RAM at DDR800 prove? If one RAM stick passes at 1066MHz, should not the other one pass as well?

I will test the RAM at DDR800, but I do not see the relevance in testing the RAM's abilities at a lower frequency.

You are simply trying to verify that the memory is not defective. So, testing it at 800 is good way to do this especially considering that most current AMD CPU/IMCs cannot run memory at 1066.

The memory is rated/advertised to run at 1066MHz. Are you implying that memory that passes at 800MHz passes for 1066MHz? Can anyone explain to me why one RAM stick passes at 1066MHz twice and can be used successfully in an OS environment while the other fails within the first pass under 10min and cannot even boot into Vista? How come I am still being accused of a faulty CPU when I have proven that one DIMM can be successfully used at 1066MHz? If it was my "known," "defective," "wonky" processor, I would think both sticks would have failed memtest and be unsuccessful in a real world environment.

You are simply trying to verify that the memory is not defective. So, testing it at 800 is good way to do this especially considering that most current AMD CPU/IMCs cannot run memory at 1066.

The memory is rated/advertised to run at 1066MHz. Are you implying that memory that passes at 800MHz passes for 1066MHz? Can anyone explain to me why one RAM stick passes at 1066MHz twice and can be used successfully in an OS environment while the other fails within the first pass under 10min and cannot even boot into Vista? How come I am still being accused of a faulty CPU when I have proven that one DIMM can be successfully used at 1066MHz? If it was my "known," "defective," "wonky" processor, I would think both sticks would have failed memtest and be unsuccessful in a real world environment.

This thread is now 2 pages long and you also asked for an official Corsair representative. So, to start with a clean slate RAM GUY posted and asked for you to run Memtest in a specific way that has proven effective for us in troubleshooting ASUS MOBOs.

No one is trying to give you the run around here. If the module is defective, we'll replace the kit. But, our efforts in troubleshooting are not to duck responsibility. It's to save both you and Corsair an useless RMA and downtime and shipping costs for you if the memory is not the culprit.

Can you please run the tests as asked so that we can quickly and efficiently move to the next step in assisting you?

The tests are running. Your response seems agitated and does not acknowledge my queries. I tested the RAM which failed at 1066MHz first. It passed its first run at 800MHz with Legacy USB disabled and is currently on its second at 71% without errors. I'm sorry I did not update with these results sooner; I did not realize the impatience for them and I wanted a more thorough result before posting.

With the information provided so far, what is the assessment? Should I still test the RAM stick that was able to run at 1066MHz? I would guess it would successfully pass at 800MHz.

This thread is now 2 pages long and you also asked for an official Corsair representative. So, to start with a clean slate RAM GUY posted and asked for you to run Memtest in a specific way that has proven effective for us in troubleshooting ASUS MOBOs.

No one is trying to give you the run around here. If the module is defective, we'll replace the kit. But, our efforts in troubleshooting are not to duck responsibility. It's to save both you and Corsair an useless RMA and downtime and shipping costs for you if the memory is not the culprit.

Can you please run the tests as asked so that we can quickly and efficiently move to the next step in assisting you?

The tests are running. Your response seems agitated and does not acknowledge my queries. I tested the RAM which failed at 1066MHz first. It passed its first run at 800MHz with Legacy USB disabled and is currently on its second at 71% without errors. I'm sorry I did not update with these results sooner; I did not realize the impatience for them and I wanted a more thorough result before posting.

With the information provided so far, what is the assessment? Should I still test the RAM stick that was able to run at 1066MHz? I would guess it would successfully pass at 800MHz.

I'm not agitated :confused: and I'm not clear on what gives you that impression. I'm being concise since you seemed frustrated on the first page and we need to resolve this for you. As far as impatience, I'm trying to be fast and efficient for your benefit so that you can get your system up and running as quickly as possible.

Have I seen modules act "stangely" like you described above? Yes. In some cases it can be the module, a bad slot on the MOBO, the CPU/IMC, etc etc etc.

Based on your system components RAM GUY suggested a logical starting point to begin eliminating variables from the testing procedure. The most efficient way to help you resolve the problem is to conduct the tests that RAM GUY suggested and move forward from there. This thread is about making sure you are a satisfied customer.

Archived