Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-8500C5 not stable at 1066MHz

Th3_uN1Qu3

Yup, me too. The rest of the system is posted in the profile, so let me just post my problem.

I've just bought two kits of this RAM and i can't get it to run stable at 1000, let alone 1066MHz. Previously i was running fine at 3.5GHz on the CPU, with a FSB of 500 so RAM at 1000MHz, with 8GB of the cheapest stuff on the market. And it was rated at 800 to begin with.

Anyway, the (i see i can't post manufacturers) RAM was slightly unstable, my system would reboot every couple days. Also they would throw a couple errors in memtest86+, so it was definitely them at fault, they couldn't cope with the frequency. I sold them to people who would run them at stock (and they didn't come complaining).

The Corsair RAM passes memtest86+ even at more than 1066MHz, but that's about all it does. Once i boot Vista i fail everything, including tests that should only have to do with the CPU, such as Orthos small FFTs. Also the system reboots once every few minutes even if i'm not running anything. It's perfectly stable with one stick at 1066, but throw more than one in the mix and it starts to bomb out. I dropped the CPU back to stock and only set the RAM frequency to 1066, still crashes. Basically anything above 900MHz has fail written all over it. I want my old ram back.

I've already set the timings to manual, Vdimm to 2.1v and adjusted NB voltage (it was at the max of +0.3v, tried decreasing it), still no go.

By the way, mine are rev 4.1.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

The point is, i don't want to run 667 or 800, and i can't run unlinked. I bought this memory to run 1066MHz so i could clock my CPU higher, the E6550's low multi makes things a bit tricky. I know the CPU is stable at 533 FSB, i used to have 2x 1GB of 1066 memory and it would work fine. Also my old memory did 1000MHz with 8GB, at the very least i'd expect this Corsair memory to do the same.

And yes i know about memtest. I already said IT PASSES. The point is that everything else FAILS. And yes i did up the MCH voltage, as a matter of fact it's +0.3, it's been like that since i first got 8GB.

This memory is sold as a kit and tested as a kit. They might work in a four DRAM slot population, they might not. It not only depends on the memory but also the memory controller. There is NO guarantee for a 2 X two module kit population. For that guarantee you need to purchase a Quad kit.

The Quad kits are higher binned modules that are tested as a four module Kit.

There is NO guarantee of a four DRAM slot population unless you purchase a Quad kit.

They ARE different due to the higher binning and tested/validation at a four DRAM slot population.

The point is, i don't want to run 667 or 800, and i can't run unlinked.

Alright, just to give you an update. I brought both kits back to the store, they sent 'em back to Corsair which replaced them.

Whereas the old sticks had their serial numbers all scrambled up, the new ones have the first serial incremental between kits, and the second serial is identical on all four modules.

The new ones work without issues at 1050MHz (all 8GB of them), which gives me a CPU clock of 3.67GHz that i am very happy with. Two sticks are stable at 1066, all four are not, therefore i believe i've hit the chipset's limit. But it certainly is loads better than the old ones which would barely do 900.

So everybody having issues with your memory, don't hesitate to send 'em back.

It wasn't issues with the memory. It was a desire to run them faster than they would run.

So, you sent back the memory and were lucky to get memory that ran faster. Now, my question is:

What would you have done if the memory had run worse in a four DRAM slot population? Send them back for another attempt?

It's a dice throw.

[quote=Th3_uN1Qu3;396823Two sticks are stable at 1066, all four are not, therefore i believe i've hit the chipset's limit. But it certainly is loads better than the old ones which would barely do 900.

So everybody having issues with your memory, don't hesitate to send 'em back.

A dice throw I lost, but that's ok.

I upgraded to 4xGB XMS 2 1066 but the second set overpowered the memory controller, so I'm down to 812 MHz for now.

I got the extra memory because I'm running a 1.75 GB RamDisk to tweak the performance of my SSD, and wanted more than 2.25 GB for games.

Oh yeah, it was super cheap (20 bucks after rebate - got the last corsair rebate after I figured out it wasn't another credit card offer, almost threw it out!). That too!

Archived