Corsair Community

What tool to use to create multiple partitions?

stej

I bought a 16Voyager GT because I was very satisfied with 2GB V GT - the speed was amazing.

However, the 16GB version is very slow compared to 2GB when copying small files (1KB-50KB) - the speed is about 1MB/s. Anyway, when copying big files, it runs 25MB/s. So I'd like to try to create a small partition ~1GB with small clusters for my small files and leave the rest for the big ones.

What tool should I use for the partitioning? All the tools for Win Vista I have seen work only with HDD, they don't recognize flash disk.

Dear RAM GUY:

I am sorry but Windows does not support partitioning a removable drive.

The above line means :

1) Windows lack the tools to partition removable drives.

2) Windows don't identify partitioned drives (except maybe? the first partition).

3) Both 1) and 2). :confused:

Please, be clearer on this subject. :sunglasse

(Some time ago I tried this thing too but it seemed Windows only sees the first partiton at the MBR).

I will appreciate your advices.

• Corsair Employees
And the answer is number 3 Windows does not support it if you do partition the drive you would have to use a third party driver to allow Windows to see the partitions and at this time we do not have any such driver or software available.

Hi Ram Guy,

I think you should test your statement. Even if you are correct, you have previously recommended a third party driver for the GT with W98SE and I did not need any-

thing special for your Standard Flash Voyager to work perfectly with 4 partitions.

If the poster has a driver problem either I or another member will help.

My regards

• Corsair Employees

Mike

I do not know what you are trying to say please be more specific. And Windows does not support partitioning a removable drive. In your case I think you stated you were using Win98 and Linux which is or has their own rules. And AGAIN Open source software is not supported. You or any one else is welcome to try anything they like but it is at their/your own risk.

Hi again,

Mike

I do not know what you are trying to say please be more specific. And Windows does not support partitioning a removable drive. In your case I think you stated you were using Win98 and Linux which is or has their own rules. And AGAIN Open source software is not supported. You or any one else is welcome to try anything they like but it is at their/your own risk.

I am saying categorically:

(1) (a) W98SE can see and read and write to all of my partitions on both my FV Standard and GT 16 GB drives.

(b) Linux can read and write to Windows files formatted as FAT 32 and any or all partitions can be mounted.

© External USB hard drives can be partitioned and read and written to in exactly the same way as Corsair Flash voyagers.

(d) Some cloning programs work perfectly with your Corsair FV 16 GB GT even without a driver to enable W98SE to see, read or write to any partition.

(2) To me W98SE, and any older or newer versions of a Windows OS are ¨windows¨

and further I have never read that any Windows OS later than W98 versions needs any special driver. Thus, I suggest Windows does support partitioning.

(3) As I see it there is zero risk if tried before data population. If windows cannot read and write to all the partitions - then the pen drive can be reformatted.

I really wish you would personally partition a Corsair pen drive and then comment. Yes, I do only have experience with W98 (and Linux) but I do speak from totally satisfactory personal experiences and I would be amazed if other users are not able to use properly partitioned pen drives.if they wish to; I would be even more astonished if many thousands of Windows owners have not already successfully done this.

My regards

PS On the very rare occasions when I speak with any confidence about computing it is best, even for experts, to think carefully before responding.

• Corsair Employees

Mike I have tested with Windows 98 SE and newer all O.S. including many version of Linux; if it works for you be my guest. But as I stated officially some of the O.S. in question presented some issues in testing which I am not at liberty to discuss other than it is not supported and or it may or may not work.

And from a support standpoint as I have stated many times we cannot support Open source software, that means I cannot talk about it and or suggest it...

You or any one else is welcome to try what ever you like but their are some risks in loosing Data that one would take upon them selves. Its just that simple and I really do not wish to debate it any more.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW:

I get round this Windoze "feature" on my 32GB survivor by using truecrypt (free, multiple platform) to create a 4GB encrypted partition as a single file and mounting this using autorun whenever the stick is plugged in (the truecrypt tool lets you set up all this functionality - no need to worry about the details). This way I get both the raw stick (28GB free) and the encrypted partition automounted. Plus I can use the encrypted partition for personal stuff safe in the knowledge that it's secure.

I understand that the slowness of the big drives with small files is due to the file table having to be read/written after each file with the format making this slower with big partitions. I don't pretend to understand the exact reasons (in the same way that I can't see why MS can't support multiple partitions in the first place) but using the truecrypt "partition" avoids this (presumably due to the open source community actually having a brain). Transfers to/from the truecrypt volume seem just as fast as to my previous 2GB Kngston traveller (although this may vary depending on CPU power as encryption is done in S/W).

BTW - I'm not associated with the truecrypt S/W in any way - except that I'm a very satisified user.

Archived