Corsair Community

Wow 16 GB slow

gypsim

So I decided to look into my Corsair being slow today. Seems the discussions have been hot and heavy for a spell...Anyway I have managed to deduce the way to blindly run the recommended Japanese HDBench...so what, so now I have to try to format and then run it again, and oh what a rat's nest this seems to be here...

a) SDFormatter says the stick is 15 GB

b) I have not a clue what settings to use

c) other instructions suggest a command line format

d) am hesitating since it took about 48 hours to get all my data onto this stick in the first place...not eager to do it many more times.?

Is there a 16GB Voyager sticky somewhere?

"So I decided to look into my Corsair being slow today."

How slow?

What is the © copyright date on the packaging of your 16 GB drive? Its next to the FCC logo and under the CORSAIR logo.

I have © 2008 and © 2007 packages.

What are your HDBench results?

Anna

Test Rectangle Text Ellipse BitBlt Read Write RRead RWrite Drive

1 0 0 0 0 25498 5345 25296 357 M:\100MB

2 0 0 0 0 25799 6559 25203 380 M:\100MB

Test 1 before format, after suffering through moving 500 files at an average speed of 892 KB/s

Test 2 after format this way FORMAT M: /FS:FAT32 /U /A:32K

Either way, it's too slow to work with. This is my first time trying to make a 'portable app' drive, but it's intolerable. It takes HOURS to move files onto it, and HOURS to delete them! I've never had a single USB issue on this PC either, going on 3 years. Is this just the nature of these? Is general performance tolerable, after most of the initial data was on board?

I was given an RMA in response to my query this morning, but there's no point trading for the same thing if this is standard. This is the Corsair Flash Voyager CMFUSB2.0-16GB rated popular at Newegg.

Also, everything I load reports something like 15420 MB, which isn't 16GB.

Also, I no longer have the packaging, but bought it last September at Newegg.

Using your style, gypsim, here are my results from a new 16GB FV © 2007 drive [which, BTW, is faster than its 2008 sister]:

1 0 0 0 0 28249 5983 28571 491 G:\100MB

2 0 0 0 0 31480 8466 32401 2707 G:\100MB

3 0 0 0 0 33595 10112 33941 3117 G:\100MB

Test 1 before format, straight out of its © 2007 packaging

Test 2 after formatting with SD-CARD Organization SDFormatter 2.0.0.3 [all default settings]

Test 3 after command line FORMAT G: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K /U

Its important to note: all Test results conducted with the Corsair Flash Voyager USB Device Properties (set to) Optimize for perfomance.

Is your drive set to Optimize for quick removal or Optimize for performance, gypsim?

Anna

For perspective, my older (owned for over six months) 16GB FV © 2008 drive [which, BTW, is slower than its 2007 sister]:

1 - NOT AVAILABLE

2 0 0 0 0 31960 7885 31950 370 G:\100MB

3 0 0 0 0 33773 9943 33941 412 G:\100MB

Test 1 NOT AVAILABLE

Test 2 after formatting with SD-CARD Organization SDFormatter 2.0.0.3 [all default settings]

Test 3 after command line FORMAT G: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K /U

Same as above, all Test results conducted with the Corsair Flash Voyager USB Device Properties (set to) Optimize for perfomance.

Anna

Also, I no longer have the packaging, but bought it last September at Newegg.

BTW, as a true fan of Newegg pricing, I am NO FAN of Newegg reviews.

DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT YOU READ AT Newegg.

Newegg MODERATES ALL REVIEWS AND RARELY POSTS NEGATIVE REVIEWS.

Why does Newegg do this, you ask? The answer is simple, NEGATIVE REVIEWS do not help sales. In contrast, positive reviews help Newegg sell their crap inventory.

I should know, I have written over TEN negative reviews associated with products that I purchased from Newegg and only ONE, yes, ONE was posted by Newegg. I even resubmitted them and all nine were never posted by Newegg.

If you are looking for meaningful product REVIEWS, gypsim, stay far, far, far away from Newegg because Newegg BIASES their reviews as a sales tool and NOT as a TRUTHFUL reflection of customer satisfaction.

Anna

Anna - Thank you. Mine was set at 'Optimize for quick removal'.

At 'Optimize for performance' I get:

3 0 0 0 0 25104 7193 24818 830 M:\100MB

So is my drive normal?

I was looking here http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_e.html#partitioning

and wondering if then this stick could be split into partitions in some useful way.

Thank you for the heads up re: newegg. This information, although unpleasant, is always most welcome. I was hoping it was a site we could love and trust, I guess not. I had come to rely on ratings there for hardware information...

Anna - Thank you. Mine was set at 'Optimize for quick removal'.

At 'Optimize for performance' I get:

3 0 0 0 0 25104 7193 24818 830 M:\100MB

So is my drive normal?

I was looking here http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_e.html#partitioning

and wondering if then this stick could be split into partitions in some useful way.

Thank you for the heads up re: newegg. This information, although unpleasant, is always most welcome. I was hoping it was a site we could love and trust, I guess not. I had come to rely on ratings there for hardware information...

In my opinion, your drive is slow. In RAM GUY's opinion, it may be just fine.

However, you have not confirmed that you formatted your 16GB with SD Card's SDFormatter. Have you? Given your results, I am doubting it. If not, then download the program and do not change any of the default settings before formatting your drive.

SD-CARD Organization SDFormatter 2.0.0.3 > http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/sdfv2000.exe

When formatting, pay careful attention at all screen instructions. One may ask you to remove the drive. Before you remove it, because you set your drive to Performance, you have to use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in your system tray to STOP it before removing it (at all times - otherwise you risk data loss). If you do not do this correctly, your test results will be compromised.

After you reinsert the drive, run HDBench again and record your results. If you have screenshot software, use it and save the file as a .png (portable network graphics) file.

If you do not have screenshot software, EASIS Screenshot 2.3 is free and easy to use > http://www.download.com/EASIS-Screenshot/3000-2192_4-10815801.html?tag=mncol

After recording your SDFormatter formatted 16GB HDBench results, from a C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe box, format your drive with the Command Line syntax FORMAT X: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K /U (where X is your drive). No need to remove the drive after its done. Once it is done, run the HDBench test again, record the results (again, I would take a .png screenshot).

Then report back with the results from both cases, SDFormatter and Command Line.

No experience with split partitions here.

I also learned the hard way with Newegg. Great prices from time to time, but their REVIEW policy is the WORST that I have seen on the Internet in over 10 years.

Now, get to work on the SDFormatter and Command Line formatting and testing.

Anna

Anna - is there a way to identify your 2007 FV by the package markings, if one should encounter another?

As I more or less said in an earlier post, the © copyright year is on the packaging next to the FCC logo and under the CORSAIR logo.

However, if you mean to ask can we identify a 2007 drive by itself (without its package), I do not know. It may be possible, but that would have to come from RAM GUY or someone more knowledgeable than me.

Anna

Ok - it seems every time I reformat, the numbers keep changing? Optimized for performance:

Test 4 SD Format (defaults)

Rectangle Text Ellipse BitBlt Read Write RRead RWrite Drive

0 0 0 0 26209 8915 25203 396 M:\100MB

Test 5 CMD format: FORMAT X: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K /U

0 0 0 0 25696 9203 25396 441 M:\100MB

..not sure how to attach/insert the screencaps...

TEST4SD.jpg.e8743b617509772ce72f2309c947c431.jpg

TEST5CMD.jpg.a207f34dc6fb79fbedfb3a2b5dd97828.jpg

So here with real-world, meaningful numbers, I am experimenting to copy the full suite PortableApps folder to the drive. Once again, near an hour has elapsed and it is not halfway yet. Average speed is @ 900 KB/s. The 'time remaining' estimate appears to have jammed at 3 min 45s. The estimate, however, would be more along the lines of what I would expect from modern technology? Not 3 hours. If I am still sitting nearby when it completes I will try to catch a screenshot near the end.

PortApp.jpg.373a660bbde23d7e2d5a29abb1eced1e.jpg

Ok - it seems every time I reformat, the numbers keep changing? Optimized for performance:

Test 4 SD Format (defaults)

0 0 0 0 26209 8915 25203 396 M:\100MB

Test 5 CMD format: FORMAT X: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K /U

0 0 0 0 25696 9203 25396 441 M:\100MB

..not sure how to attach/insert the screencaps...

9203?!?!?!

WOO HOO!!! gypsim, I think you've got it!!!

From 5345 to 9203, that's an improvement of over 72%!!!

Welcome to the 9's club, sir. :)

While your Read speeds are lower than I would expect, your Write speed is now above the typical range that RAM GUY has historically professed.

9203KBps equal 9MBps, gypsim, and that is a FANTASTIC transfer rate in my opinion. You should be smiling widely from ear to ear! I know that I am!!

Anna

P.S. CONGRATS on attaching your first screencaps to the Internet and this forum. I really love the advantage of precision when posting photos vs describing the same. Another great shortcut for your online communications arsenal. Oh, by the way, again, I would strongly recommend .png over .jpg images. The quality is the same (or better) and the file sizes are significantly smaller. While it may not matter to you, it can matter to forums like this one because the larger files eat up more of their daily/weekly/monthly bandwidth allotment.

So here with real-world, meaningful numbers, I am experimenting to copy the full suite PortableApps folder to the drive. Once again, near an hour has elapsed and it is not halfway yet. Average speed is @ 900 KB/s. The 'time remaining' estimate appears to have jammed at 3 min 45s. The estimate, however, would be more along the lines of what I would expect from modern technology? Not 3 hours. If I am still sitting nearby when it completes I will try to catch a screenshot near the end.

Well, you have discovered the great untold truth associated with many a flash drive. That is the fact that multiple small files often take many times longer to transfer than a single large file. One reason is simple to describe, there are so many read/write operations - particularly at the controller level and the FAT. The other is not so simple to describe and involves flash drive construction (i.e. multi-layered versus single-layer) technology.

Apparently, as you will soon discover when RAM GUY replies to your postings, this is typical for Corsair drives. If you expect to achieve 9MBps transfers with 1000s of 10KB files, for example, then you will be continually disappointed. In short, it ain't gonna happen. At least not at $15 for a 16GB FV, after $20 rebate, courtesy of Newegg/Corsair.

I use one of my 16GB drives to library MP3's that I rip at 320K VBR0. Presently, I have 390 songs and at approx 8.1MB per song, this Corsair will eventually hold over 1800 songs - that's around 150 CDs. WOO HOO!!! No more need for CDs in the car - just plug in my 16GB and drive.

Back to your apparent slow transfer rate. I suppose there may be a problem with your drive, but I am not qualified to make that assessment. Wait for RAM GUY and see what he has to say. But at 9MBps, I would say that you have a very fast 16GB FV drive. It would be nice to know why the Read speed did not improve to 30000+ however.

Anna

Yeah, I just checked moving just the 125 MB PortableAppsSuite installation single file. It transfered in seconds, as expected. *Installing* it from the stick to the stick seems back to slow going, but maybe not as slow as copying all the files over. Not sure I'll stay up to watch how this round ends. PortableApps estimated up to 20 minutes to install, but I see it pausing in between every little .gif, .cfg and .dll...my guess is at least an hour again and probably 2 or 3.

Makes no sense. Isn't there some trick formatting workaround ??? Howcome the portable usb apps crowd does not more loudly bemoan such a MAJOR drawback flaw in this technology?

No doubt the next invention will address this, and we will all have to go buy new adapter ports again.

google mlc slc.

you'll understand.

in a nutshell, they "samsung", moved to mlc instead of slc.

with mlc you can get larger capacities, but slower then a dead turtle.

with slc you get speed, but are stuck at the 8gb capacity.

its not just corsair having speed problems.

it pretty much comes down to whats the most marketable/profitable, 64gb, or 8gb.

i personally would LOVE to see an 8gb slc survivor drive, but corsair doesn't make them anymore.:sigh!:

probably cause slc is more expensive, but i would pay the premium.

ohwell.:roll:

Yeah, I just checked moving just the 125 MB PortableAppsSuite installation single file. It transfered in seconds, as expected. *Installing* it from the stick to the stick seems back to slow going, but maybe not as slow as copying all the files over. Not sure I'll stay up to watch how this round ends. PortableApps estimated up to 20 minutes to install, but I see it pausing in between every little .gif, .cfg and .dll...my guess is at least an hour again and probably 2 or 3.

Makes no sense. Isn't there some trick formatting workaround ??? Howcome the portable usb apps crowd does not more loudly bemoan such a MAJOR drawback flaw in this technology?

No doubt the next invention will address this, and we will all have to go buy new adapter ports again.

Can't say.

But I'm super happy with your 72% improvement achieved using the combination of SDFormatter (first) and then Command Line syntax.

Now that you know the value of this approach, I trust you will help another member as I have helped you.

Good luck with RAM GUY, and whatever you can regarding your other issue(s).

Anna

P.S. You're welcome, gypsim.

Hi,

I found this discussion interesting and educational, however I have W98SE and it should be noted that the SD Formatter 2....... is not for any OS earlier than Win 2000.

My regards

Excellent point, Mike. Thanks for clarifying that very important distinction.

As a HUGE FAN of Windows 98SE, an O/S that I still have loaded on my notebook PC, it is equally important to note that the Command Line syntax FORMAT X: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K /U is no longer applicable.

The HP USB Disk Format Tool will not work in Windows 98SE either.

Do you have a recommendation that will help Windows 98SE users format their Corsair drives at FAT32 with 32K cluster size?

Anna

Hi Anna,

Thank you for your update. I used Gparted to format 4 partitions as FAT32 but I cannot remember what options were available on cluster sizes.

Also, I am sure your level of understanding is much higher than mine.

My regards

Thanks for the TIP, Mike. I'm not familiar with Gparted - it sounds like a Linux program.

Nah, given your tenure and multiple contributions in this forum, I'd say that I am definitely your junior. However, its always good to learn from others and I learned a couple things from you today - so, thanks!

Anna

Hi again Anna,

Yes, Gparted is a Linux program. It can be run from the free download of a Knoppix CD but I am almost sure it is available as a standalone download.

As a general tip, in case of a hard drive failure I am almost sure that Knoppix can be run from a CD (DVD with 8GB of compressed programs) and can be used, for example in an emergency, to connect to the Internet as a hard drive may be used but is not a necessity.

Also, there are a number of Linux programs which can be run from a CD so that a youngster or an elderly person could get a new hobby/tool without any fear of ruining the OS. Safe but possibly slow and data can be saved to a pen drive.

I have enjoyed our chat, Thank you.

My regards

Yes, Gparted is a Linux program. It can be run from the free download of a Knoppix CD but I am almost sure it is available as a standalone download.

Too complicated for me. I know nothing about Linux other than its name.

As a general tip, in case of a hard drive failure I am almost sure that Knoppix can be run from a CD (DVD with 8GB of compressed programs) and can be used, for example in an emergency, to connect to the Internet as a hard drive may be used but is not a necessity.

Same comment as above, but with Knoppix.

Also, there are a number of Linux programs which can be run from a CD so that a youngster or an elderly person could get a new hobby/tool without any fear of ruining the OS. Safe but possibly slow and data can be saved to a pen drive.

Good to know, but as I said its too complicated for me.

I have enjoyed our chat, Thank you.

As did I, Mike.

Thanks again.

Anna

Archived