Corsair Community

Wierd RAM and SLI problem

cje

Hey guys,

Sorry to open a new thread, but this seems unrelated to my previous problem.

I haven't got money to buy 2x 2gb modules yet, so I am still running 4 modules.

I have got stability with 1333 fsb, and 1333 RAM (9-9-9-24-1T). All is well, I have not got a single lockup or bsod or anything for 2-3 weeks now.

I was folding, and decided to utilise 2 of my GPUs, so I disabled SLI, both screens went black, so I restarted. The pc froze on the second sound that's being played as windows vista boots.

I thought that the NB might not be getting enough voltage, so I gave it 1.5v. Still didn't want to boot. So I increased RAM voltage to 1.7v. Still no dice.

So I loaded defaults back up (1066 fsb and RAM). All was well, I re-enabled SLI, restarted and loaded 1333 fsb and RAM again. And it booted up perfectly.

In summary, the pc works fine @ 1333RAM+fsb with SLI enabled. But having SLI disabled won't boot. Memtest has passed 10 hours, no errors, both in dual channel mode and in single channel.

I don't know if this is a motherboard issue, or a RAM issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

EDIT - forgot to say. Everything works fine when fsb and ram are 1066 mhz.

This is a motherboard issue and needs to be dealt with by your motherboard company. You are still running at full bore with four modules.

I expect sooner or later you will have a blown memory controller, but I have told you all this before.

In summary, the pc works fine @ 1333RAM+fsb with SLI enabled. But having SLI disabled won't boot. Memtest has passed 10 hours, no errors, both in dual channel mode and in single channel

Not a RAM issue? OK, thanks. I have emailed ASUS, but I am not getting very helpful replies. I will take 2 sticks out now. And order the 2x 2gb kit. They say the motherboard will support 8gb (4modules) with speeds up to 2000mhz.

If 4 modules run fine @ 1066 then I can assume my memory controller is ok up to now? So if I take them out at this stage, no harm done yet right?

DDR1066 is 1066mhz right? Sorry if I sound dumb. Because if it is, they work fine together at 1066mhz.

But do you have any idea why the RAM works at 1333mhz with SLI enabled, but is limited to 1066mhz with SLi disabled? It's crazy.

Yes then. RAM works fine at 533 (1066 DDR) mhz @ 8-8-8-20 1T.

If my RAM works fine at 1066 speeds, is my motherboard's memory controller OK? And that my problem is that the 4 modules might not be not very happy together?

I do not want to invest in 1600 2gb x2 Corsair RAM if my motherboard's memory controller is going to die soon.

This is why I told you that you need to drop your memory speed. You are running the full bore of a 2 module kit at a 4 module kit.

Drop your speed to 1066Mhz and you will be fine. If not, sooner or later you will very likely blow your memory controller.

Yes then. RAM works fine at 533 (1066 DDR) mhz @ 8-8-8-20 1T.

If my RAM works fine at 1066 speeds, is my motherboard's memory controller OK? And that my problem is that the 4 modules might not be not very happy together?

I do not want to invest in 1600 2gb x2 Corsair RAM if my motherboard's memory controller is going to die soon.

OK, seems like another issue has come up.

I was playing GTA IV for quite a long time without problems. Then I closed the game, and both my screens went black. The pc was still on, but displays went to "sleep" they didn't lose signal, just low power mode.

The RAM is at 1066 mhz by the way. I checked temps of everything, and they all seemed to be within operating spec. (NB 55,SB 60. Both graphics cards around 70 degrees celsius).

This issue seems exactly as I had with SLI and trying to run RAM at 1333.

With RAM @ 1333mhz, the pc worked fine with SLI enabled. But when I tried disabling SLI, the screens both went black and into low power mode. Just like the problem I got now.

I do not know if this is RAM related or maybe motherboard chipset/NB?

This issue did not happen until 1 kit got RMA'd. This issue did not happen with only 2 sticks installed whilst 1 kit was being RMA'd.

I have noticed however that the 2 kit differ, in that 1 kit needs 1.5v whilst other needs 1.6v. But both are same version. I have set VDIMM to 1.6v in BIOS.

Maybe it is just that the 2 kits are incompatible with each other? Is there a way to find out what is causing this? I have run memtest with 4 modules installed, but it is not producing errors.

Archived