Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF vs. Asus Maximus Formula X38

ultraxmode

Hello from Shiny Greece!!! :sunglasse

I have a Maximus Formula board with 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix memory modules. Everything's running fine..

I want to buy those "TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF"s memory modules , TWO cause I want to reach 8GB memory for the upcoming Windows 7 operating system..

Will those memory modules work flawlessly with my Asus Maximus Formula ?? I repeat, I want to buy two of those kits (that is 4x2GB=8GB at their stock speeds -> 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15...)

PS : No overclocking at all on my system.

thank you gurus!!! ;):

Hello from the rainy grey USA, here where I live :(:

You can run 2 kits of these modules but, due to the limits of the memory controller and the corresponding load of 4 modules, you may not get 4 to run at 1066. It is hit or miss and varies from board to board.

Hello from the rainy grey USA, here where I live :(:

You can run 2 kits of these modules but, due to the limits of the memory controller and the corresponding load of 4 modules, you may not get 4 to run at 1066. It is hit or miss and varies from board to board.

:p: I'm sure its not that bad in the US.. Wish I could be there...

So, is there anybody with this motherboard who tried that ?

Maximus Formula with 2 TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF kits ??? (8GB, 4 modules running on 1066mhz) ?

Thank you specmike!

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I still cannot find a person that has Maximus Formula with 8GB of PC2-8500 memory modules installed..

Can anyone help me ?

Thanks !

The memory will run just fine in that board. The question is how fast and you are the only person that can discover that as it will depend on your individual board. Even if another user does get 4 up at 1066 there is no guarantee from them or ASUS or anyone else that your board can do it.

The memory will run just fine in that board. The question is how fast and you are the only person that can discover that as it will depend on your individual board. Even if another user does get 4 up at 1066 there is no guarantee from them or ASUS or anyone else that your board can do it.

You are right in this one specmike.. Every board is different from one to another.. I think it depends on the quality of every board...

So, I think, I must "spin round the coin.." and take the risk.. right?

Something else..

If I buy one pair of those memory modules (Dominator 2x2GB 1066MHz) and try to install them in one channel at a time.. and test them.. Will I have a percentage of failure ?..

If I buy one pair of those memory modules (Dominator 2x2GB 1066MHz) and try to install them in one channel at a time.. and test them.. Will I have a percentage of failure ?..

You have no more or less chance of failure than any customer buying a new set of memory. This board should easily run 2 modules at 1066.

You have no more or less chance of failure than any customer buying a new set of memory. This board should easily run 2 modules at 1066.

I already have installed two pairs of 2GB at 1066.. (total memory 4GB) on all slots.. maybe its a good sign ? that, if it can work with 4 sticks (1024MB each) it will be able to work with 2048MB modules.. ?

Please say yes... :p:

I already have installed two pairs of 2GB at 1066.. (total memory 4GB) on all slots.. maybe its a good sign ? that, if it can work with 4 sticks (1024MB each) it will be able to work with 2048MB modules.. ?

It should work but again, no guarantees.

Ok, thanks.. :D:

(Sometimes I am a pain on the arse.. :D: I know!...)

You are very wise to research before you buy. Too many people do not research before and learn their information after they have purchased. You are now well informed and will likely have great success with your build.

It's a good sign, but not a guarantee because you are doubling the capacities of the matrix. It all depends on the memory controller. I would certainly increase the voltage of the memory controller +.1v and no higher than 1.25v should be necessary for your X38 chipset.

There's no guarantee, although I believe a good chance.

Archived