Corsair Community

New Memory: BLUE SCREEN... help please

PuffBall

The memory in my specs is the memory I just bought, but the blue screen popped up after a day, I read the commonly asked questions or something like that on this site and it said to make sure the voltage matches your memory, but I cant find where to do that. Can you show me where to find it, because I've tried multiple sites and one said it was in the setup. but i saw no options for changing the voltage.:(:help pleaaaase

The ASUS A8M2N-LA is the motherboard used by HP for your PC. Those modules you specify look right if the board accepts 2GB modules.

This is your board:

Click Here

This board is limited to JEDEC 533/667Mhz and a maximum of 4GB. Now there are two boards of your designation. One with two slots for memory and one for four slots of memory. Since the specifications say 4GB there could be some differing slot use.

To find the amount of RAM per slot , divide the maximum amount of memory that the computer can hold with the number of memory slots on the motherboard. Usually, this is the maximum amount for each memory socket . For example, if the computer is capable of holding a maximum of 1024 MB (1 G) of memory and the motherboard has four memory slots, install 256 MB (or less) memory modules per slot.

Research

This leads me to think that you can run with either 1 X 4GB or 2 X 2GB modules, but I would contact HP to find out for sure.

If so, then these would be the modules for you:

Click Here

Motherboard manufacturer's name: ASUS A8M2N-LA

HP/Compaq name: Nodus-GL8E

CPU/Processor Socket: AM2 Supports AMD Athlon 64, Athlon 64 X2, and Sempron processors

Front-side bus (FSB) 2000 MegaTransfers/second

Chipset GeForce 6150 LE chipset

BIOS features Award brand system BIOS Keyboard combination to used to enter BIOS: F1

Form factor Micro-ATX: 9.6 in X 9.6 in

Memory Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets, Supports PC2 4200 (533 MHz) and PC2 5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs, non-ECC memory only, unbuffered Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 4 GB*

That's the issue. You need 1GB modules, not 2GB modules. A maximum of 1GB modules and a maximum of 4GB in total. The issue is single module capacity for that board. 1GB modules of which both RAM GUY and myself have given you.

so it wont work? because the one i bought has the exact same lat, speed, and gbs just it came in 2 in one box instead of just 1 memory stick

That's the issue. You need 1GB modules, not 2GB modules. A maximum of 1GB modules and a maximum of 4GB in total. The issue is single module capacity for that board. 1GB modules of which both RAM GUY and myself have given you.

they are 1gb its just 2 memory sticks in on box, they add to 2gb together, it was the first one on the newegg page u posted earlier, i just need to know how to get into the bios and change the settings for the memory

they are 1gb its just 2 memory sticks in on box, they add to 2gb together, it was the first one on the newegg page u posted earlier, i just need to know how to get into the bios and change the settings for the memory

On a Compaq system, the BIOS is locked. You cannot go into it and change memory settings.

The OEM machines (HP, Compaq, Dell, etc) have a BIOS that is plug and play. For that reason, all parts must be fully standard for the plug and play to work correctly. You can not change memory settings in the BIOS.

You can enter BIOS (such as it is) by pressing the F1 key at system startup.

You should not need to make changes to this memory anyway.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk. Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full paases.

Results?

theres no way?

The OEM machines (HP, Compaq, Dell, etc) have a BIOS that is plug and play. For that reason, all parts must be fully standard for the plug and play to work correctly. You can not change memory settings in the BIOS.

You can enter BIOS (such as it is) by pressing the F1 key at system startup.

You should not need to make changes to this memory anyway.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk. Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full paases.

Results?

is bios-std correct? because i ran it twice and no errors. should i do bios-all?

Standard BIOS is fine. If you ran memtest twice with no issues, then the problem is very likely external to the memory.

You may have to reinstall your operating system.

is bios-std correct? because i ran it twice and no errors. should i do bios-all?

sorry for asking so many questions and thanks for helping me out, but, i have one more question why does the blue screen mostly pop up when i play a game that requires a lot of power to play? when i play an old game it works fine. the blue screen only popped up once when i wasnt playing anything, and it never happened again.

You may need a stronger power supply. What make is your PSU? Please enter your system settings and be more specific. If you are using the standard power supply that came with that board, then you certainly need a more powerful one. Those machines are not made for gaming.

sorry for asking so many questions and thanks for helping me out, but, i have one more question why does the blue screen mostly pop up when i play a game that requires a lot of power to play? when i play an old game it works fine. the blue screen only popped up once when i wasnt playing anything, and it never happened again.

You may need a stronger power supply. What make is your PSU? Please enter your system settings and be more specific. If you are using the standard power supply that came with that board, then you certainly need a more powerful one. Those machines are not made for gaming.

lol now i feel stupid.. yea ur right its the normal psu, that was the first thing i looked at when the comp blue screened, but then i went all the way from that to this.. i feel so stupid... thanks so much, now i know what to do :)

Not at all. :)

May I suggest a Corsair 450VX? (2008 Best Power Supply Manufacturer by Custom PC) @ 59.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

This is a great, quiet power supply that will be more than enough for your system needs.

lol now i feel stupid..

Archived