Corsair Community

XMS and ABIT kv8-max3 issues please advise

invertx.com

I recently purchased an ABIT kv8-max3 Mainboard and an AMD Opteron 3000+ 64 bit CPU. I also purchased 2 512 meg sticks of Corsair DDR 3200 ECC ATHLON 64 FX memory. The mother board requires ECC memory even when using a non FX CPU. I can install and sucesfully run my computer with either of the 2 RAM sticks i have purchases as long as they are installed into DIMM 1, If i instal both sticks of RAM the computer will not boot, and the monitor will not even turn on. If i use a single stick and put it in DIMM 2 or DIMM 3 the result is the same. So both sticks of memory will work in DIMM 1, but not in any other slot, and i can not use them together for the full GIG. I have contacted ABIT about this issue and they where of no help at all, and asked me to contact CORSAIR. Any info or advice you have would be very much appreciated.

WHOA hold it, The Abit K8vMax 3 is a socket 754 MB right? an opteron is socket 940 and requires regietered Dimms. what is the full code of the memory? eg CXMS3200C2 V1.1 etc and please clear up what ive said above regarding which board and chip u have. Rob

o.k. I think you have a little information incorrect 1st the motherboard doesnt require ECC and the ones for the athlon 64fx are regestered and ECC and the A64 doesnt support both.. what you need is non ECC not Registered Dims. they do work and that board DOES not require ECC memory in any configuration. [quote name='invertx.com']I recently purchased an ABIT kv8-max3 Mainboard and an AMD Opteron 3000+ 64 bit CPU. I also purchased 2 512 meg sticks of Corsair DDR 3200 ECC ATHLON 64 FX memory. The mother board requires ECC memory even when using a non FX CPU. I can install and sucesfully run my computer with either of the 2 RAM sticks i have purchases as long as they are installed into DIMM 1, If i instal both sticks of RAM the computer will not boot, and the monitor will not even turn on. If i use a single stick and put it in DIMM 2 or DIMM 3 the result is the same. So both sticks of memory will work in DIMM 1, but not in any other slot, and i can not use them together for the full GIG. I have contacted ABIT about this issue and they where of no help at all, and asked me to contact CORSAIR. Any info or advice you have would be very much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Here are the numbers on holographic RAM sticker that is on the RAM stick itself top left CMX512R-3299C2PT top right -MS3200Rv1.1 0411070-3 Bottom XMS3200DDR 512MB 400 MHz CL2 I am looking at my Mainboard users manual right now, under the "Insatll CPU and Heatsink" section it refers to the CPU to be installed as a Socket 754. The packaging that my CPU came in refers to it as an ATHLON64 3000+ 745 PIN CPU w/HT Techno. The original RAM i had for this system was OCZ this is the amount [url]http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/OCZ_DDR_PC-3200_Platinum_Enhanced_Bandwidth_Dual_Channel[/url] However when I installed the ram and tried to Load Windows just at the point where it finished loading the intial set up files i would get a BLUE SCREEN Error for IRQL And i could get no further then that. I was told that this is a common error if there is a problem with the RAM. So i whent back to where ibought the board and they told me i needed ECC registered RAM. I have tried updating my BIOS, and i still get the same results.

An Exact Passage from my motherboard manual states: "72-bit memory controller supports DDR at 266,333 and 400MHZ (ECC) before i put this ECC memory in, I tried 6 different sticks of non ECC memory before i realize it required ECC. As strange as that may seem this mother board Requires ECC memory and the computer would not even get passed its boot screen with non ECC memory installed. Also i am sure this motherboard is made for this processor. another exact passage from my motherboard manual is " Supports AMD Socket 754 ATHLON 64 CPU with 800 MHz FSB. And i am positive this is the Processor i have. :confused:

Processor - Supports AMD socket 754 Athlon 64 CPU with 800 MHz FSB [url]http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=150[/url] Athlon 64, NOT Opteron. Opteron is only Socket 940, Athlon 64 come in both varieties: Socket 754 and Socket 940. You have an Athlon 64 Socket 754, not an Opteron Socket 754. You have Registered memory, which is different thatn ECC memory, and is NOT compatible with your motherboard.

:confused: What RAM should i buy for this then? and how come the OCZ ram i tried did not work at all, and the 512 chip of Corsair memory runs the computer just fine? I am just trying to figure out how to build this thing so it works. I bought all these parts from a computer wherehouse where I was told this is what would work. So far I have not been able to make this computer work with OCZ ram , or more then 1 stick of corsair. I have also tried GEIL RAM as well. Here is exactly what i have been dealing with. i have an AMD 64 ATHLON64+ 754 PIN CPU w/HT Techno. KV8-MAX3 Mother Board The differnt type or Ram i have tried are as fallows: 1) OCZ DDR 1GB p3200 DUAL (2x512MB) Speed 400 MHZ CAS 2 COPPER HEATSINK LT OCS4001024ELDCPE-K the result of that RAM was i could not get past the boot screen. the next RAM i tried was 2) GEIL DDR 1 GB pc3200 ULTRA G (2x512MB) Speed 400 MHZ ULTRA G W/Heat Spreader GL5123200U The Result of this RAM was the same as the OCZ ram 3) CORSAIR DDR I GB PC 3200 ECC (2x512MB) COR ATHLON FX MEMORY ECC REG with HEATSPREAD CMX512R-3200C2PT The end result of this memory is I can boot and Run windows as long as i am only running a single stick or memory in DIMM 1 If i add the other 512 stick or use any other DIMM slot then #1 My monitor will not even turn on. With all of the memory i have listen, i have tested them individualy as well as combined and the results are the same. With the Corsair RAM either stick works fine as long as it is installed in DIMM 1 and i dont add the other stick. I have also had PCI issues. THE PCI issues i am haveing is the once i add a PCI device to the motherboard the computer boots up and then crashes. I get a blue screen saying the system was shut down to prevent damage. WHAT SHOULD I DO? New Motherboard? or New ram? and can you please give me an exact Product I should buy? Thanks to everyone for all there input.

as far as this chipset goes you can use UNBUFFERED ECC Ram and non-ECC Ram. I would advise agains using ECC Ram for a gaming system as there is a performance loss when using such Ram. It is meant for servers and the like where errors in data is more important that absolute performance, most home users do not need this. for this board judging by results on this forum and reviews ive seen, TwinX1024-3200LL would be the perfoming choice for this board. as for being able to run on a single stick of the corsair you have are both marked with the same "CMX512R-3200C2PT"? maybe one is a non-R part? i dont know about where you are, but here if a company sells you something and it doesnt work together, either when bought at the same time and assumed, or in your case by being told it will work together, you are entitled to a full refund on the part in question. now i dont know how much what you bought cost, but i would return it and by the parts suggested if it were me. if you have an more questions before you do ANYTHING dont hesistate to post. Rob

• 2 weeks later...
invertx.com I have the exact same problem as you, I recently spent €1500 on computer parts without a monitor and one of my items was 'Abit KV8-MAX3 (Socket 754) Motherboard' and the RAM I got was 'Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200LLPT TwinX (2x256MB) Platinum CAS2 (MY-017-CS)' I am having the exact same problem as you only slightly different. When I turn my pc on with two slots of memory in I hear a alarm noise and the monitor wont turn on but when I only inset one it works fine but after a while when I reboot it doesnt load. I am looking to change my RAM also and I need advice on what RAM I should get for this motherboard. I ordered all my items from overclockers website so lads I ask for your advice on what RAM to chose from the overclockers website [url]http://www.overclockers.co.uk[/url] Lads please try and find suitable ram for me from the overclockers website as I want to make sure my next ram works. IrishKelt

Hello IrishKelt, thats weird, because many people are using the Max 3 board and 2 X512 3200LL with great results. The suggested settings would be 2.5-3-3-6 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS) at 2.7V set with 1 module in, then insert both and see if that solves the problem. If not all i can suggest is that you try one module at a time and make sure they pass 3 to 4 passes of memtest when in slot 1 alone. Post back after trying this. Good Luck Rob

Hey Rob, Thanks a million for your reply, You know my memory is a total of 512mb that means I have 2 modules 256mb each. I might send it back if I cant get my pc going right and replace it for 1gb or ram. I am at school at the moment but sure when I get home I will try it thanks. Do you think there is any chance the motherboard could be damaged? I was thinking maybe that was the problem but it seems invertx.com has the same problem so it must be the ram. Also I tried using my 2 x 256mb corsair ram in my brothers pc and it works perfectly. I dont get why it will only boot my pc but when I restart pc it doesnt work. What would your suggestion to me be? To send my ram back and get 1gb of ram or get 1 '512mb stick'? The pc has been lying at home the past 2 weeks and I spent €1500 on it and I would really like to get it working perfectly. If I was sending my ram back what ram would you recommend from overclockers website Rob? [b]Full spec of pc :-[/b] AMD Athlon 64 3000 (Socket 754) - OEM (CP-072-AM) PowerColor Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB - Retail (GX-006-PC) Abit KV8-MAX3 (Socket 754) Motherboard (MB-042-AB) Antec Plus 1080AMG Metallic Gray File Server Case - 430W TruePower PSU (CA-001-AT) Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200LLPT TwinX (2x256MB) Platinum CAS2 (MY-017-CS) Asus DRW-0804P 8x DVD±R/±RW Drive - Retail (CD-008-AS) Logitech Cordless Desktop MX - Retail (KB-007-LG) Samsung Spinpoint P80 120gb 8MB IDE ATA/133 8MB cache 7200RPM Hercules XPS 2.100 Silver Speakers (SP-001-HE) Verbatim 4.7GB 4x DVD+R (25 Tub) (ME-004-VB) 2 x Coolermaster Neon LED 80mm Fan - Red (FG-005-CM) Thanks for your help. Brendan

Well if you do as i said in the last post, it may work :) I cant see any reason why 2 X 256 3200LL wouldnt work fine at the settings i gave you, other people are having great results with this Ram. If the Ram should pass memtest with both sticks in your brothers machine, then that would point the finger at the board possibly. If the Ram fails, then you need to test one stick at a time to see if one module is faulty. Im sorry if you think this is a long winded way of finding the trouble but sometimes it is the only way, i think overclockers will charge you upto 20% fee of any item returned that is found not to be faulty, so before you RMA you really need to be sure you have a faulty item. If you need any futher help please post back. Rob

Rob if they charge 20% maybe im safer off selling it to somebody? Might I add that I lost the box for my ram, dont ask how because I have the box's of everything else. I think my mum threw it out :eek: As you said it will take time, I dont like this idea but I know that its the only way. I guess my best bet it to send the motherboard and the ram back to overclockers tomorrow and ask them to test the motherboard to make sure it isnt damaged and ask them to change the 512mb ram to 1gb corsair ram that is compatible with the motherboard. I hope to god I will have all back and working by 20th May. Brendan

Brendan, i would at least check the Ram individually with memtest, in your brothers machine if not in yours, 256MB should take maybe 30 minutes for 4 passes in your machine. All i can say is ive seen no compatability issues other than people running the wrong timings and voltages. I would hate to see you RMA everything only to have to do what i said at a later date, I would spend a little time now and then have a sure idea of the problem. Rob

ok guys this is what the problem is. Q: Why can't my pair of DDR400 memory modules operate at 400MHz FSB on DIMMs 2 & 3?(KV8-MAX3) A: According to the AMD® AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Data Sheet on page 16m table 3 regarding unbuffered DIMM support, the AMD Athlon 64 Processor does not support DDR400 memory operation at 400MHz FSB on DIMMs 2 & 3. [url]http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/dwamd_24659.pdf[/url]

so i guess the simple answer would be to use slots 1 & 3 or 1 & 2 (althow on the K8V ive found that slots one and two mean running the TRCD slightly slower!). I think AMD only knows the answer to your question, im not sure on your motherboard as i only have the K8V SE Deluxe Asus board, and it can run all 3 lots at DDR333 if single sided Dimms are used, and DDR200 if double sided are used, so it seems like a CPU limitation. Rob

Rob, I am sending my ram and motherboard back today. I am getting the motherboard tested in case its damaged but im replacing my [b]'Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200LLPT TwinX (2x256MB) Platinum CAS2 (MY-017-CS)'[/b] with [b]'Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200C2PT Platinum Registered CAS2 (MY-032-CS)'[/b] I just want to make sure what you think of the ram I am changing it for. [url]http://www.abit.com.tw/test_report/KV8-MAX3/index.php[/url] <<<-- Theres the test reports for memory thats compatible with the kv8 max3. Is the ram im now ordering compatible with it? Or would you suggest different ram to me? ---------------------------- Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200C2PT Platinum Registered CAS2 (MY-032-CS) This memory is designed to run at 200MHz memory speed (400MHz DDR). Offering outstanding performance and reliability for todays memory hungry applications. Note - This product has been specifically designed for use on the AMD Athlon64 FX platform and should not be used on any other desktop platform. AMD Athlon XP and Intel Pentium 4 users should not purchase this memory for use on their systems. ---------------------------- My AMD is : AMD Athlon 64 3000 (Socket 754) - OEM (CP-072-AM) Thanks Rob. Brendan

A64 NON-FX cannot use registered RAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For 512MB i would suggest 3200LL, on overclockers the XMS will set you back £124.55 today. Was going to suggest going for 3200C2 but i see all the prices have changes once more, last week it was £145 for LL and £98 for C2, now C2 is £108. For best performance use 1 stick of 3200LL if you want 512MB and TwinX1024 3200LL for 1GB. Hope this helps. Rob

Ok so you think I should go for 'Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200LLPT Low Latency Platinum CAS2 (MY-014-CS)' ? Rob can you please copy and paiste the full name of the ram you want me to order your mixing me up :biggrin: Sorry for being such a pain in the a*s :(:

Rob thanks a million, I guess all I can do now is wait and hope you've been great help to me thanks ;): [email]brendan86@eircom.net[/email] (Email) , [email]irishkelt1986@hotmail.com[/email] (MSN) ^^ If you email me I will let you know how I get on when I get my item's replaced. Brendan

Archived