Corsair Community

Another Memory Question?

Steve_h

Hi, first post here after trying to find a solution to my Ram problem.

I have been running 2x2Gb of Corsair XMS 6400C5 800MHz in my vista 64 rig fine untill I decieded to install another 2x2Gb.

Now the pc will either not boot at all or lock up once windows has started.

I was originally running the 4Gb sticks at 1.9v but once the errors occured I have set the bios to default in a hope of sorting the issue.

I can run 6Gb fine and even up this to 1.9v

When looking at the info in CPU-Z I see some strange timings compared to other posts here so would like to clairify this as well on any advise on being able to run 8Gb.

CPU-Z

DRAM frequency 400.0MHz

FSB:DRAM 2:3

CAS#LAtency (CL) 5

RAS to CAS Delay 5

RAS Precharge 5

Cycle Time 31

Bank Cycle 22

Command Rate 2T

Appologies if I am missing something but I am a noob at RAM tmings etc...

Many thanks in advance

You are going to have to do things to run 4 modules on that MOBO.

1. Increase the memory controller voltage. IIRC, 1.53v is required on the unit I used.

2. Put a fan and/or better cooler on the memory controller as the memory controller on this board gets incredibly hot with 4 modules.

If both of these things fail to bring stability, try the memory at DDR667.

Thanks for the reply,

do you suggest getting some cooling first before making these changes,or could I try it and see if it will run stable first?

I'm currently on water so may need to look for a suitable addition which don't come that cheap.

Do the figures look correct to you from CPU-Z or is there any other settings you could suggest?

And lastly is it better to just run 4Gb/6Gb at 800MHz rather than 8Gb at 667MHz?

sorry for all the questions :):

The real question is do you "need" 8GB of memory. If you don't really need it per se, then you can avoid all of this by sticking with 2 x 2GB.

Since you already have it, I'd see how stable you can get it before investing in more cooling gear. I used a Swiftech ....IIRC, MC-159 cooler on mine if you decide to try the air cooling route as opposed to adding it to your loop. Also, a regular fan may do the trick with the stock sink. But, I do not like the way the stock heatsink is mounted. It's VERY loose.

Ok well I'll give a go tomorrow as it's getting too late here to be messing around with my pc now.

Hopefully be able to post some conclusions later tomorrow.

Just one more question if you don't mind, should I be increasing the memory voltage as well?

Ok well I'll give a go tomorrow as it's getting too late here to be messing around with my pc now.

Hopefully be able to post some conclusions later tomorrow.

Just one more question if you don't mind, should I be increasing the memory voltage as well?

You should not need to raise the memory voltage. A module only needs its specified voltage regardless of how many slots are filled. It's the memory controller seeing the extra load, not the memory.

Ok been running with 6Gb of RAM @800MHz after setting the timings to spec and changing the memory voltage from auto to recommended 1.92v.

Set the nb voltage to 1.393v and put in the 4th stick and it froze at windows log in screen.

Dropped the RAM speed to 667MHz and rebooted but this time I couldn't even boot to bios.:confused:

Back to 6Gb again!

No sorry I haven't...wrote down the wrong figure which I got from another thread.:o:

I may give it a go, still wondering if the increased heat on the northbridge, the possibility of buying a cooler for it and the decrease in RAM speed is worth another 2Gb, or just stick with either clocked 4/6Gb.

As you said "do I need 8Gb" is the question

well taken your advise and sent back the extra RAM, so now it's back to 4Gb in dual channel.

Had a look at overclocking the cpu last night and took it up abit to 2.2 by setting it to unlocked in the bios, only thing I have noticed now is the memory is running at 393MHz not the 400 stated in CPU-Z before the over clock.

Have I not done this correctly or is there something else I need to do.

Screeny atached

memory-2205.bmp

Hopefully this will help

thanks

Archived