Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5 Not stable at 1066MHz

jaimegmr

I have a TWIN2X4096-8500C5 set of memory modules that only run stably at 800MHz with Auto settings. If I manually set them to 1066MHz, they fail Prime95 blend test and sometimes my system freezes during the test.

I tried the following specific settings in the BIOS (I have the latest bios before the current beta):

Cas# Latency: 5

RAS# to CAS#: 5

RAS# Precharge: 5

tRAS: 15

tRC: 22

Command Rate: 2T

Voltage: 2.1 (Automatically set to 2.1)

tWR: 8T

With those settings the board was not stable at 1066MHz.

When the RAM is at 800MHz (auto settings), I can run my system at stock 2.8GHz or overclocked to 3.2GHz and it is stable.

When the RAM is at 1066MHz (auto or manual settings), the system fails Prime95 sooner when overclocked at 3.2GHz than at stock speed 2.8GHz.

Also, when the memory is at 800MHz, the board automatically sets the voltage to 1.9V. I have set it to 1.8V and ran the Prime95 blend tests for a couple hours now with no errors at 800MHz.

• Corsair Employees
This is typical of the current AMD CPUs. Some users are able to reach 1066 but, most cannot as it varies from individual CPU to CPU. Your best option here is to start at DDR800 and clock upward from there to find your maximum stable memory frequency.

Hi Ram Guy,

I think the problem is the memory modules. They are v1.2. I just got another set of TWIN2X4096-8500C5 that are v4.1 and they seem to be working perfectly at 1066MHz. I need to run more tests but it seems like the v1.2 modules are the culprit. Ive been running Prime95 blend test for 10 minutes now with no errors. The other modules would get an error after a few minutes.

Any chance of exchanging these v1.2 modules for v4.1 modules? I would do a Newegg RMA but I might get the same thing back.

Here is the current setup that seems to be stable:

Manual 1066 setup in BIOS.

Auto Timings: 5-7-7-24-31-2T

I will change it to 5-5-5-15-22-2T and re-run the stability tests.

Thanks! I have submitted the RMA.

v4.1 modules have been Prime95 stable for 16 minutes now :) at 5-5-5-15-22-2T timings at 1066 MHz.

Also, here are the memory benchmark results I got in everest:

EVEREST Ultimate Edition 5.00.1650

---------------------

UNSTABLE v1.2 Memory Test At Default Timings (Unganged Dual DDR2-1066 5-7-7-24 CR2)

Read: 7993 MB/s

Write: 6779 MB/s

Copy: 9874 MB/s

Latency:42.8 ns

UNSTABLE v1.2 Memory Test At EPP Timings (Unganged Dual DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15 CR2)

Read: 8013 MB/s

Write: 6778 MB/s

Copy: 10248 MB/s

Latency: 52.7 ns

----------------------

v4.1 Memory Test At Default Timings (Unganged Dual DDR2-1066 5-7-7-24 CR2)

Read: 8082 MB/s

Write: 6772 MB/s

Copy: 10304 MB/s

Latency:53.8 ns

v4.1 Memory Test At EPP Timings (Unganged Dual DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15 CR2)

Read: 8093 MB/s

Write: 6804 MB/s

Copy: 10306 MB/s

Latency: 51.9 ns

The v4.1 modules at Auto timings (5-7-7-24 CR2) were faster than the v1.2 modules at 5-5-5-15 CR2 timings.

...you know you cannot mix these right???

By "cannot mix these" do you mean I cannot mix v1.2 with v4.1? I know that. I plan on trying my luck with two sets of v4.1 TWIN2X4096-8500C5 memory modules (4x2GB), but I want to at least have two sets that are stable at 1066 MHz individually (2x2GB).

Even to get two modules to work at 1066 with Phenom/Phenom II is to be seen as a good and lucky thing. Four modules is simply not possible.

By "cannot mix these" do you mean I cannot mix v1.2 with v4.1? I know that. I plan on trying my luck with two sets of v4.1 TWIN2X4096-8500C5 memory modules (4x2GB), but I want to at least have two sets that are stable at 1066 MHz individually (2x2GB).

• 3 weeks later...
I just got the replacement set of TWIN2X4096-8500C5 memory modules. They are v4.1, the same as my other pair, and I am glad to report that my computer seems to be working perfectly with two pairs for a total of 8GB at 1066MHz. :greengrin Ive been running the Prime95 Blend test for more than 20 minutes now with no errors. :greengrin

I just got the replacement set of TWIN2X4096-8500C5 memory modules. They are v4.1, the same as my other pair, and I am glad to report that my computer seems to be working perfectly with two pairs for a total of 8GB at 1066MHz. :greengrin Ive been running the Prime95 Blend test for more than 20 minutes now with no errors. :greengrin

Very nice! Let us know if it continues to be stable. You are the first person I have seen running 4 up at 1066. You seem to have an exceptional CPU.

I ran MemTest86+ for 9 passes last night on all 8GB of the RAM at 1066MHz and got 24 errors on the 8th pass :eek: I don't know how it passed the OCCT test with no errors.

I tested each module for 2 passes each and the only faulty module is one of the two in the v4.1 pair that I had already. The new pair of v4.1 modules that I just received a few days ago passed with no errors.

Here are the results of two sets of two passes on the faulty module:

Test A:

Pass 1 - 114 errors on Test 5, 1 error on Test 7

Pass 2 - 369 errors on Test 5

Test B:

Pass 1 - 6 errors on Test 5

Pass 2 - 74 errors on Test 5

I need a new RMA for this pair of modules. Hopefully I get a v4.1 pair to match the good pair.

To get 9 passes clean and then errors on the 10th pass actually show the reality that the issue is not the memory but is actually the memory controller.

Even if you get memory that is 1200Mhz, you will sooner or later have issues repeating. So, yes, you may find stability at 1066 but it will not be long term and if you run with 4 modules attempting 1066Mhz, it will be sooner rather than later and the issue will be damaged memory AND/OR damaged CPU.

I ran MemTest86+ for 9 passes last night on all 8GB of the RAM at 1066MHz and got 24 errors on the 8th pass

• 3 weeks later...

I got the replacement memory a few days ago but just had the chance to test it. I received modules of revision v3.1 when I specifically stated that I needed v4.1 modules in the RMA form and also put a note with the memory I mailed back.

The memory I received is inferior. It fails to run a full pass of MemTest and just freezes even when it is the only RAM in the computer. (the + sign of MemTest is still flashing, but the tests do not advance). I boot into windows and get the Blue Screen of Death.

This is unacceptable! It seems the only version that works with my computer is v4.1, but I was given a different version. Do I have to RMA this set too?!?! :brick: The shipping costs are adding up. Maybe Corsair should mail pre-paid shipping boxes for RMAs.

Even without mixing, the v3.1 memory wont run at 1066Mhz. Now i'll have to try running it at 800MHz :(:

This is typical for Phenom and Phenom II CPUs. Very few users I see can run 1066 stable with 2 modules or 4 modules. It's a limitation of the memory controller on the CPU.

This is typical for Phenom and Phenom II CPUs. Very few users I see can run 1066 stable with 2 modules or 4 modules. It's a limitation of the memory controller on the CPU.

I dont think it depends on the memory controller only. I am able to use v4.1 modules at 1066 MHz and it is 100% stable. With the v3.1 modules they are only stable at 800 MHz. This means that it depends on the memory chips also. So maybe its not only the memory controller's fault. Maybe it is the memory chip makers who don't conform to some spec?

With how many modules installed?

With only the v3.1 modules installed (2 modules in the yellow slots), they are not stable at 1066MHz. I am running them at 800 MHz and it seems to be stable. I did one pass of Memtest and had no errors.

I got the replacement memory a few days ago but just had the chance to test it. I received modules of revision v3.1 when I specifically stated that I needed v4.1 modules in the RMA form and also put a note with the memory I mailed back.

The memory I received is inferior. It fails to run a full pass of MemTest and just freezes even when it is the only RAM in the computer. (the + sign of MemTest is still flashing, but the tests do not advance). I boot into windows and get the Blue Screen of Death.

This is unacceptable! It seems the only version that works with my computer is v4.1, but I was given a different version. Do I have to RMA this set too?!?! :brick: The shipping costs are adding up. Maybe Corsair should mail pre-paid shipping boxes for RMAs.

They have already been replaced once so I don't think this user has a defective set of memory.

• Corsair Employees

jaimegmr

Please test the modules one at a time and from your spec I see that you are using one of the new CPU's and that may be the issue but test the modules one at a time at their tested settings first.

Archived