Corsair Community

Totaly confused with 8GB and Vista.

lxtwin

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I have a dual boot system, Linux and XP, I upgraded to Vista and have started to see problems. I have been using the system for two years and has been 100% stable. When I am in Linux it is perfect but when in Vista within 1 1/2 hours it will freeze. I have spoken to MS who pointed me in the direction of BIOS settings via:

From MS

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have found a similar issue on our forums, the user also has an Asus motherboard:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistadesktopui/thread/4279bb19-ec16-4f94-b372-d9e12891f881/

Please take a look, in the solution the following Asus article is linked:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20080423190557703&board_id=1&model=P5N-E+SLI&page=1&SLanguage=en-us.

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had all the settings at default but have been reading through the threads and set the following:

Memory Timing Setting

tCL = 5

tRCD = 5

tRP = 5

tRAS = 18

Command Per Clock = 2 clocks

Advanced Memory Settings

tRRD = Auto

tRC = Auto

tWR = Auto

tWTR = Auto

tREF = Auto

tRD = Auto

tRFC = Auto

Async Latency = Auto

Voltages

Vcore = Auto

Vdimm (DRAM Voltage) = 2.0v

NB Vcore = 1.35v

memtestx86 works fine. I am using the 32bit version because I have heard that Photoshop has a problem when running on 64bit Vista. Should I reinstall with 64 bit vista, am I missing anything or is Vista just rubbish ?

Any help would be great.

paul

You are trying to run 4 modules of 1066Mhz (2 Kits) as fast as 2 modules of 1066 (1 Kit).

If you populate all four DRAM slots, then you are advised to drop the DRAM bandwidth and raise the memory controller voltage.

The only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits. This does not mean two dual kits or even worse two dual kits of different versions will not work together, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work together. If there are problems with the DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects and errors in a two stick kit mode. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad and warranted as a dual kit, not a Quad setup. You need to Memtest them as Kits (2 modules, not as a four DRAM slot population). If they fail as a kit or singly, then you have RMA. Keep in mind that there is no support for mixing and matching different versions of DRAM either since different version are of different fabrications and/or manufacturers. They might work, they might not work, but you have no support if they do not work. Thus you are advised to buy all the DRAM at the same time and in this way be more assured of getting the same versions. If you buy online, be sure to specify same versions of the modules and do not expect even then that they will work and again, no support unless you purchase a quad kit.

For a four DRAM slot population of 800Mhz DRAM you are advised to drop the bandwidth to 1066Mhz and raise the NB Voltage +.2v. You can then attempt to recoup some lost bandwidth via the CPU <--> MCH <--> DRAM overclock. Once stability is found, you can then, if you wish, attempt to regain some of the lost bandwidth of the CPU <--> MCH <--> DRAM stream with an overclock. First stability is necessary as some motherboards, even though they state a four slot population, will not work with stability on a four slot population and need to be RMA'd. So, first stabilty, then overclock.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller or On CPU (AMD) and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM unless you raise the DRAM voltage too high. They damage the on CPU (AMD) memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. This is why you are advised to perform the DRAM lowering and MCH Voltage raising.

For two channels (four slots) being populated with 800Mhz memory. Set to 667Mhz with 5-5-5-15 2T and 2.0v as well as raise your Northbridge +.2v.

Hi mate,

I am running at defaults, which I though was 800Mhz, I will try what you have surgested, I know that you said "raise your Northbridge +.2v" but as it was set to auto do you know what value this could be ?

regards

paul

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Thanks for the help and I have changed the settings to:

Set your NB Core Voltage :1.40v.

SB Core Voltage :1.50v

Memory Voltage 2.1v

Mem 667Mhz

and timings to 5-5-5-15 2T

But it still hangs when in Vista within an hour.

And no fail in XP or Linux? Strange indeed.

Have you run memtest?

These are the settings I would try.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk. Boot to the CD and allow for two full passes.

Results?

But it still hangs when in Vista within an hour.

Hello Derek, I ran memtest before and after the changes for two loops. and there were no errors. I will run the tests overnight and see what happens.

BTW 64 bit Vista also hangs and this is before any updates have been installed, however the Linksys driver was installed so I will reinstall and try to use a USB network device and see what happens.

paul

Hi there, I have tried a different network device and is does hang, so I have run memtest for 3 passes 100% clean again.

I have now reinstalled Vista 32 bit (with sp1 included) and have not added any aditional software and will see what happens, if it is OK I will add some software at a time.

I do not think that it is a memory problem so thanks for the help so far; and at least I can go back to MS will all that we have tried.

paul

Hi RamGuy,

Here is an update.

Asus have released version 18.01 for the motherboard, unfortunately there are no release notes for the code. I have reset the MB to defaults and reinstalled Vista 32bit.

So far it has been stable, I have installed O/S, other drivers, Photoshop, office 2007, then patches. All I have left to install is the rest of the patches and MS OneCare, if this is stable then beside the BIOS the only difference is that I have been using grub as the boot loader, maybe vista and grub are not compatible with each other.

I will let you know the outcome later next week.

Cheers

Good stuff.

Hi RamGuy,

Here is an update.

Asus have released version 18.01 for the motherboard, unfortunately there are no release notes for the code. I have reset the MB to defaults and reinstalled Vista 32bit.

So far it has been stable, I have installed O/S, other drivers, Photoshop, office 2007, then patches. All I have left to install is the rest of the patches and MS OneCare, if this is stable then beside the BIOS the only difference is that I have been using grub as the boot loader, maybe vista and grub are not compatible with each other.

I will let you know the outcome later next week.

Cheers

It hung again last night so I went through the install logs and removed the last packages, which were:

Bit locker, Tinker, Hold'em abd Online key....

I has been running for 9 hours, I will see how it goes and see if I have to remove any more.

paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, the random freeze problem is a MS one.

This is the problem package:

BitLocker and EFS enhancements

Download size: 1.2 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

This Windows Ultimate Extra includes two tools that make it easier to use some of the security features that come with Windows Vista Ultimate: Windows BitLocker Drive Preparation Tool, and Secure Online Key Backup for your BitLocker recovery key and EFS certificates.

More information:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=80936

Help and Support:

http://support.microsoft.com

The hangs are sudden and total so it does look like either memory or CPU failure. I removed the above package and all is OK.

If you have the BitLocker package installed and are having random freezes I would try removing the package before changing the memory settings.

I hope this helps someone.

paul

Archived