Corsair Community

Need Help With Overclock

mattbuck

Ok i have just added another 2 gig of Corsair DDR2 800mhz to my system take it up to 4 gigs in total on vista 64.

Before i was running my cpu (e6750) at 3.4ghz and the mem at 850mhz. I did not touch spd settings, just used my asus p5w dh bios for basic overclocking.

However upon install of the extra ram i kept getting crashes. After some research i realised that i had to lower the ram speed. Currently i have it set to 650mhz, i have not touched the spd settings. I am ideally wanting it to run at 667mhz, and i would like to adjust the spd settings, but anytime i make a change i get crashes.

My CPU is now at 3.45 ghz with the ram at 650mhz, i cannot really push my cpu any further without going higher on the volts, i am currently at 1.425 load temp is 28-32, full load cany vary depending on room temp. But with prime05 it goes up to 50-52, when summer arrives that will shoot up a bit so i am at or near the max i can push the cpu.

I am not vastly experienced at overclocking, but ideally i want 3.4-3.5ghz on the cpu, and 667mhz on the memory with good timings.

Full specs in profile as requested.

Help please. :)

It's a dice throw and is dependent on the memory controller, not the memory.

Some make the grade in long term stability. Some make the grade in shorter term stability and bring damage to the memory controller in longer term. Some do not make the grade at all.

Rather than take a chance on short term stability and longer term damage, I recommend a drop to 667Mhz. But it's your memory and your choice. Keep in mind that the damage to the memory controller is at the motherboard level and will require an RMA (if still in warranty) of the motherboard if you end up with damage to the memory controller. This can show up in an inability to run at 800 anymore. An inability to run in Dual Channel mode anymore and/or an inability to run certain slots.

My advice for long term stability?

Increase the voltage of the MCH on your board to 1.55v and lower your DRAM speed to 667Mhz.

So would it be safe to run the memory at 800mhz if i up the memory volts? Is that what you mean? Not sure how i up the volts on the memory controller.

Your overclock will change things a bit.

Download Memtest Version 2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Please Enter your BIOS and set to these values, save and shut down.Try these settings:

Configure System Frequency/Voltage

AI Overclocking = Manual
CPU Frequency = 425
DRAM Frequency = 667MHz (or the closest value)
Performance Mode = Auto
PCI Express Frequency = 100
PCI Clock Synchronization Mode = 33.33

Memory Voltage = 2.1v
CPU Core Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
MCH Chipset Voltage = 1.65v
ICH Chipset Voltage = Auto

Advanced Chipset Settings

Configure DRAM by SPD = Disabled
DRAM CAS# Latency = 5
DRAM RAS# Prechardge = 5
DRAM RAs# to CAS# Delay = 5
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge: 15
DRAM Write recovery Time = 6

Leave all else on AUTO settings. Boot to the CD and allow a few passes. If stable, enter Windows and please post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Archived