Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX won't work dual channel mode in ASUS P5Q Pro. Please help!

KarnEvil

Hi,

I just finished building my new computer. I don't OC, I just want to have a reliable PC for my DAW studio.

First I tried different modules, the result was the same problem, I thought it's incompatibility, then exchanged them to this pair of Corsair modules just because they were recommended by both Asus and Corsair for this mobo.

So, the problem is: If I set them up dual channel mode (A1 and B1 slots) the machine won't POST. With "Auto" parameters in BIOS all I get is some humming of the vents and a black screen. I tried to set the voltages and frequency manually in BIOS, then the machine boots, but very unstable, memtest fails with 0 or 1 passes. If I only put one module in A1 slot, it works perfectly. (Tried both modules separately, ran memtest for many hours, no probs.) I already tried clearing CMOS, no difference. I use the latest BIOS, ver 2002.

Please someone help!

Many thanks in advance!

No, not yet with this pair.

But I did that earlier with a different set of modules. Didn't POST.

Those modules weren't on ASUS' QVL, I thought incompatibility's the source of the problem and I changed them to these Corsairs. Here I am now...

Actually I don't know exactly what I should set manually above the voltages and frequency of these modules. I thought they should work with "Auto" settings in BIOS, that's why they recommend them so much...

It's "funny" that in 21st century you can't put together 2 matched PC components and make them work just like that...

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk. Enter BIOS, load setup defaults, save setup defaults and set to these values.

It's "funny" that in 21st century you can't put together 2 matched PC components and make them work just like that...

JEDEC is the standard for memory. Most machines are sold as OEM and as such have a Plug and Play BIOS that does not allow for changes. No voltage chances, timings changes, etc. The JEDEC standards allow the systems to set the speed of the memory to the timings and voltages. These values are programmed into the SPD as standard values and are plug and play as you understand. Had you bought that memory, you would have been able to make them work, "Just Like That".

Then you have Enthusiast hardware that goes faster and farther than JEDEC. That is why they are known as Enthusiast memories and why systems do not set to the Enthusiast level. They boot to the JEDEC values and you must enter the high end values manually. That being said, I think your issue might well be a motherboard memory controller issue since you can boot to single channel mode with no issue, but booting to dual channel memory mode fails.

Enter your BIOS and set to these values:

AI Overclock Tweaker

[b]Configure System Performance Settings

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
CPU Ratio Setting = 10.5
FSB Frequency = 266
PCI-E Frequency = 100
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 266

DRAM Timing Control = Manual

DRAM Frequency = DDR2-800
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS# Latency =  4
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 4
RAS# PRE Time = 4
RAS# ACT Time = 12
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) = 60 
Command Rate = 2T (2N)
All Else to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Enabled
DRAM Read Training = Auto
Mem. OC Charger = Auto
AI Transaction Booster = Enabled 
CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 2.1v
NB Voltage = 1.25v
SB Voltage = Auto
PCI-E SATA Voltage = Auto

Loadline Calibration = Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled
Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto
CPU GTL Voltage Reference = Auto
NB GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

Legacy USB = Disabled

Run Memtest for two full passes. Try both Dual Channel slots (1 & 3, 2 & 4). Try single channel mode with two modules ie (1 & 4, 2 & 3.

Results?

Hi DerekT,

Thanks a lot for your help! Actually I didn't know that about memory.

It was quite a few years ago when I built myself a PC last time.

Everything's got a lot faster and more complicated since then...

So I tried the settings you suggested with some exceptions:

- There's no "DRAM Command Rate" and "Command Rate" setting in my BIOS

- "AI Transaction Booster" only has two options: Auto and Manual. I chose Auto

- "NB Voltage": The minimum amount of setting is 0.02v so I set it to 1.26v

But anyway, with these settings the computer finally POSTed and booted in dual channel mode. First I tried dual channel in A1 and B1 slots (the yellow ones). I ran Memtest for a couple of hours (I had to leave the machine alone), 6 passes, no problem. Then I put the modules into the other pair of (black) sockets (A2 and B2) and the computer wouldn't POST...

I also tried both modules separately in A1, worked fine, and together in A1-A2, worked fine.

So, what's now?

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Thanks,

Now the memory-thing seems to be solved. With dual channel setup (in yellow slots) I ran 3dmark and Orhtos for a couple of hours, stressing the RAM and CPU together and worked fine.

The only thing is, I don't know if it's related to RAM, When I start the system with the power switch I sometimes get

"Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" message.

Then it starts fine after resetting... Very strange.

Thanks,

Now the memory-thing seems to be solved. With dual channel setup (in yellow slots) I ran 3dmark and Orhtos for a couple of hours, stressing the RAM and CPU together and worked fine.

The only thing is, I don't know if it's related to RAM, When I start the system with the power switch I sometimes get

"Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" message.

Then it starts fine after resetting... Very strange.

Open a "run command" and insert "chkntfs c: /c" (without the quote) enter and reboot.

It started again from the beginning...

It won't even POST...

Actually the biggest problem is I don't know what to RMA... The motherboard? The processor? PSU? The RAM modules are good I suppose, because I've already exchanged them.

By the way, I was just gonna ask about PSU. Asus P5Q Pro mobo has 8-pin CPU-power slot. But my Antec EA430 (it came with the case) has only a 4-pin CPU power plug, and I used only that. Do you think this might be the problem?

KarnEvil,

I was just going to pose that very observation about your PSU.

Am I correct in translating "DAW" as Digital Audio Workstation?

I am building a system for that very purpose. Pro Tools won't run properly on consumer equipment so I rolled the dice and I'm building my own. After weeks of research I decided on 600w PSU to power my ASUS P5Q SE2 and intel Q8200.

We should compare notes!

RAMGUY et al:

I have been reading a lot of threads on here and I can't thank you guys enough for your contribution. I am about to install some Corsair Ram and I might need some help, but a lot less since I spent some time investigating.

Thanks Johnny,

All right, let's keep in touch! Yes, consumer ready-to-play PCs are not the best for this purpose, that's why I always build my computers myself. (Thankfully not so often...) By the way I use Cubase, not because I think that's the best, but because I've been using that for about 14 years so I'm very used to it :) Anyway, I'll try a different PSU this weekend and hope that I can put this machine together sometime...

Thanks RAM GUY, I'm gonna get a stronger PSU anyway.

With 8-pin CPU-power of course :)

Hello, I had a nightmare similar to this for months with the P5Q.. replacing powersupply , cpu, ram modules... turned out to be the brand new board and faulty BIOS! I can't say for sure its the board with your scenario - but definetly update the BIOS as there have been alot of "improved memory compatibility" updates (almost MONTHLY) with the P5Q. It's a very picky board and many people have had POST problems with it due to memory incompatibilities (just because a vendor is on the QVL NOW doesnt mean it was compatible with an early BIOS version). Google P5Q and POST problems - there are quite a few unfortunately. People are pulling their hair out over this board series and this exact POST problem. After my experience and reading quite a few posts on the web from others - I'm convinced there was/ is something wrong in the quality of the motherboard and/or BIOS (at least for the early produced versions). That's solely my opinion but I advise to do the reading and testing yourself.

Test each memory stick by itself (since one stick seems to work on your board) - if it verifies working - no sense in wasting time and money RMA'ing them. Hope that helps some in your testing :)

Thanks!

I've bought an Antec Truepower Trio 650W today, it has 8-pin CPU plug.

I wanted to have it anyway, but unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.

First power switch-on: vents on, black screen.

Second power switch-on: vents turned on, and then off, and then on again, POSTed, error message from Windows.

I pushed RESET and it POSTed and Windows started...

So, I have already changed RAM modules and PSU I think these are fine.

I've already reset CMOS, updated firmware. (Now it's 2002.) What else can I do?

I think that you have a mainboard issue. In this situation I would RMA the mainboard.

Thanks!

I've bought an Antec Truepower Trio 650W today, it has 8-pin CPU plug.

I wanted to have it anyway, but unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.

First power switch-on: vents on, black screen.

Second power switch-on: vents turned on, and then off, and then on again, POSTed, error message from Windows.

I pushed RESET and it POSTed and Windows started...

So, I have already changed RAM modules and PSU I think these are fine.

I've already reset CMOS, updated firmware. (Now it's 2002.) What else can I do?

Archived