Corsair Community

System instability with TWIN2X4096-8500C5

Stingray69

Hi there,

Ive just upgraded my system but Im having trouble with instability (periodic freezes/lockups and crashes).

Initially the system would mostly boot into windows but lockup consistently after about 3 minutes (Memtest86 was either was either locking up after a few seconds or showing errors and then locking). If I try only a single 2GB ram module (either one) things are improved (lockups every hour or so and no errors in Memtest86 after 5minutes).

The system is largely at factory default so far although I have increased the DDR Voltage slightly to 2.1V as recommended in http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73488 and lowered the DRAM frequencies to 800MHz. Temperatures all seem good (cpu and system around 25 degrees c). Ive tried using the BIOS settings in http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72052 but it wouldnt POST and I had to reset the BIOS via the motherboard jumper.

So my question is, does it sound like the RAM is duff or the system just badly configured? (or something else?). And why would the RAM in Dual channel be so much more problematic, even at lower frequencies?

Cheers, Greg

Thanks for the info, it seemed to help. I was able to run Memtest86 for 8 full passes with out error with 4GB ram installed in dual channel at 800MHz. If I tried to change the frequency up to 1066 though I was back to it failing to POST. These are my current voltages;

CPU Auto (1.256)

NB/SB +.325 (1.368)

DDR2 +.3 (2.176)

FSB +.125 (1.288)

I was hesitant to try any higher because I don't know enough about the risk (i.e. what are sensible upper limits for voltages?).

So for stable RAM at 1066MHz should I try upping the NB voltage even higher? Alternatively, are there any good detailed guides around that I could read to save me having to keep bothering you? (the ones Ive found seem fairly basic) :biggrin:

Thanks again!

Greg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived