Corsair Community

Asus P5B Deluxe and TWIN2X4096-8500C5D timings?

NateDawg80126

I recently upgraded from 2x1GB of XMS2 Pro 6400 that I was able to manually set the timings to 4-4-4-12 at 2.1 volts with no issues, stable and very overclockable. I upgraded my E6300 to a Q6600 and wanted to up the memory to 4GB too, so I purchased 2x4GB of XMS2 Dominator 8500 that is rated to run at 5-5-5-15 at the same 2.1 volts, however when I set these timings manually my computer wont boot.

With everything set to default in bios, CPU-Z reads them as running at 5-5-5-18, still respectable but I want to get the rated timings if possible. Here is where it gets strange... After upping memory and north bridge voltages with no success, I decided to see what would happen if I set the defaulted timings in manually, by this I mean the same 5-5-5-18 timings that it is currently running at and stable... wont boot?

This gets me thinking that some of the other memory settings could be too low, tried upping all of those to the loosest timings available but no luck. I then manually lowered the frequency to 800 and was able to boot it with manual timings of 4-4-4-12, I then upped it to the next step, 899 or something and raised the timings to 5-5-5-15 and 18, but even with a significantly reduced frequency it wont boot with those timings entered in manually.

I then ran memtest for a pass and a half with no errors at the defaulted settings. I have all the power saving features enabled on my motherboard in addition to memory remap as vista only showed 3GB without it. I have a good amount of overclocking experience with this board, but I'll admit that memory timings are a weakness for me, I suspect that this could possibly be caused by some of the more advanced memory settings, but frankly I have no idea what the rest of the stuff does really other than lower numbers usually relates to better performance.

I have the latest bios for my board and have had no issues with stability testing at these default settings using Prime95. Any thoughts or advise would be really appreciated, I have tried to be thorough but if you have further questions please ask.

• Corsair Employees
It takes some tweaking to get to 1066 on the P5B boards. I'd suggest you start at DDR800 and slowly try to clock upwards from there. You are probably going to also need approximately 1.4v+ on the memory controller.

Ok I will fiddle some more and up the NB voltage. Are you aware of any utilities that will monitor what the north bridge voltage is at from windows? I will give the Asus AI suite a try, would be nice to see what its running at currently with the default timings, might be useful.

I meant to say PC Probe II and it doesn't show anything useful. I also tried Everest home but unfortunately there is an issue installing it on Vista x64, it cant find the digitally assigned drivers so it essentially becomes useless.

I tried upping the NB voltage to 1.45, 1.55 and 1.65 and nothing, still wont boot. I turned off all of the power saving features and manually set the vcore to 1.325, with vdroop its really about 1.288. Going to try upping the memory voltage next and see what happens.

I would not disable power saving. Doubly so with your Q6600 and an overclock. Do not increase the memory voltage higher than 2.1v Enter BIOS and load setup defaults. Save setup defaults and enter the below values.

JumperFree Configuration

AI Tuning = Manual
CPU Frequency = 333Mhz
DRAM Frequency = 1066Mhz
PCI Express Frequency = 100Mhz
PCI Clock Synchronization Mode = 33.33Mhz
Spread Spectrum = Disabled
Memory Voltage = 2.1V
CPU Core Voltage = 1.35v
FSB Termination Voltage = 1.25
NB Vcore = 1.4v
SB Vcore = Auto
ICH Chipset Voltage = Auto

Configure Advanced CPU settings

Ratio CMOS setting - 9
Intel SpeedStep(tm) Tech = Enabled

Advanced Chipset Settings
NorthBridge Configuration

Configure DRAM by SPD = Disabled

Memory Remap Feature = Enabled

DRAM CAS# Latency = 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge = 5
DRAM RAS#  Activate to Precharge = 15
DRAM Write Recovery = Auto
DRAM TRFC = Auto
DRAM TRRD = Auto
Rank Write to Read Delay = Auto
Read to Write Precharge Delay = Auto
Write to Precharge Delay = Auto
Static Read Control = Disabled 

Just to clarify, my CPU is not currently overclocked, its all bone stock ATM, but regardless I tried all the settings you listed as close as possible, my settings were slightly different so some voltage settings were slightly higher (+.05). Anyway still no dice, going to roll back to the last set of bios that I used with my old set of ram and see if I have any luck. I updated to v1238 because in the release notes it said it added compatibility for 4GB kits, I figured I would stay ahead of the game so updated in advance, anyhow I guess we will see if it had any effect.

By "still nothing" I meant I was unable to achieve anything different with several earlier bios releases. I hope that didn't come across as I was disappointed with a lack of help or something, as you guys have been great.

And yes I am aware that my motherboard doesn't natively support 1066, whats killing me is that I cant achieve the same timings that its booting into windows with by default. Correct me if I'm wrong but if it is able to do this when I have the timings and voltages set to auto, shouldn't it be possible to do the same thing manually?

What's killing you? :bigeyes: That's an old board, and I would just be happy in getting whatever speed I can out of the system. This was the first chipset created for Core2 (i965) and has issues for certain.

I agree with you that you should be able to run with manual settings. Certainly the memory has those settings for Auto, but after you set to manual, you give the memory controller the ability to effect changes and something in that area is at issue. What it is, I can not say. I say that I don't think it's an issue with the memory.

Test:

Set the memory into a board that natively accepts 1066 and set to the values manually.

My advice is to achieve the best you can with it, play with it and see what you can get and then accept what you can get. Set the value to Auto and overclock the memory at auto. In other words, set the memory to auto and SPD and then increase the FSB. As the FSB increases so shall the memory. You can drop the mutiplier and raise the FSB to see what can give you close to 1066Mhz. There is no ability to play with strapping on that board so you are stuck at Intel SPec.

By "still nothing" I meant I was unable to achieve anything different with several earlier bios releases. I hope that didn't come across as I was disappointed with a lack of help or something, as you guys have been great.

And yes I am aware that my motherboard doesn't natively support 1066, whats killing me is that I cant achieve the same timings that its booting into windows with by default. Correct me if I'm wrong but if it is able to do this when I have the timings and voltages set to auto, shouldn't it be possible to do the same thing manually?

Yeah your right, I should be happy all things considered. Not to mention the fact that not one component on my PC was even around when my board was released. Anyway I am still getting great stability and performance from them as is, so I really have nothing to complain about. Thanks for all the input guys, you have been a big help.

Archived