Corsair Community

TW3X4G1600C9DHX on BlackOps

Blizzie

Hi all,

I've been tweaking my RAM with my motherboard for two days now with no avail.

I'm currently trying to run TW3X4G1600C9DHX on a Foxconn BlackOps. This board uses a 1:4 divider for the memory so running my Q6600 @ 3.6 GHz brings my RAM to the stock 1600 MHz. The problem is that it won't run at stock -- it seems to crash at ~1425 MHz.

What I did was run memtest86+ at 1400 MHz and it passes. At 1425-1450 I can't POST at all. All I get in a string of continuous beeping. This problem occurs when I have both sticks in or individual sticks. I have tried different slots on my motherboard and have tried different BIOS versions already.

Someone else has reported that this RAM is compatible with the motherboard but that isn't enough proof to insure it is. I'm not sure if my RAM is incompatible or if both sticks are bad... :confused:

Let's test the overclock.

Download Memtest Version 2.11 from--->
and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Fully Clear the CMOS. Enter the BIOS. Load Setup Defaults, Save Setup Defaults. Set to the below values:

Fox Central Control Unit

Fox Intelligent Stepping

Memory Target Frequency = 1600
CPU Frequency Setting = 400
Super Clock Free = Disabled
Intel (R) Speedstep = Disabled
CPU Ratio Setting = 6
CPU Frequency : Memory Speed = Auto
PCIE Frequency Setting = 100
PCI Clock = 33.6

CPU Configuration

C1E Support = Disabled
Hardware Prefecther = Enabled
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch = Enabled
Max CPUID Value Limit = Disabled
Intel Virtualization Tech = Enabled
Execute Disable Bit = Enabled
PECI = Disabled

Memory Timing Config

DRAM Timing Selectable = Disabled

DRAM Timing TCL = 9
DRAM Timing TRCD = 9
DRAM Timing TRP = 9
DRAM Timing TRAS = 24
DRAM Timing TWR = Auto
DRAM Timing TRFC = Auto
DRAM Timing TWTR = Auto
DRAM Timing TRRD = Auto
DRAM Timing TRTP = Auto

All Voltage Control (For Testing) 

CPU Voltage Control = VID + X = 1.45v 
Memory Voltage Control = VID + X = 1.80v
NB Voltage Control = VID + X = 1.3v
SB Voltage Control = Default
FSB Voltage Contol = VID + X = 1.35v

Insert a stick of memory in slot 2 (Closest to the CPU) and boot to the Memtest CD allowing for two full passes. Shut the system down and remove the stick, inserting it into slot 3 and retest. Shut the system down and remove the stick. Insert the second stick in slot 1 and retest. You have now tested both stick and both slots in the single channel mode of the memory controller. Finally, insert a stick in slot 2 and slot 4 and memtest for two full passes.

If you find an inconsistencies on my template and your BIOS, please inform me.

Results?

Here are the settings for my BIOS that was posted in Foxconn's support forum.

-------

Quantum BIOS

CPU Clock Ratio Unlock

CPU Clock Ratio

CPU Clock Ratio +0.5x

Target CPU Core Speed

CPU Clock (FSB)

CPU Clock vs Memory Speed

System Memory Speed

CPU Clock skew Control

CPU Clock Amplitude Ctrl

PCI Express Clock

PCI Clock

Spread Spectrum

Over Clock Recovery

CPU Feature

EIST Function

Limit CPUID MaxVal

C1E Function

Execute Disable Bit

Vrtualization Technology

Frequency Unlimit

Core Multi-Processing

Cold Bug Boot Fix

All Voltage Control

CPU Voltage Multiplier

CPU Voltage Setting

CPU Vdroop Compensation

CPU PLL Voltage Setting

Cpu VTT Voltage Setting

Cpu GTL Ref 0. Voltage

Cpu GTL Ref 1. Voltage

Cpu GTL Ref 2. Voltage

Cpu GTL Ref 3. Voltage

NB Voltage Setting

NB GTL Ref Voltage

SB Voltage Setting

DRAM Voltage Setting Auto

DRAM Pull-Up Voltage Auto

DRAM Pull-Down Voltage Auto

DRAM Ref Voltage Auto

Memory Timing Control

ECC Scrubing Auto

Dram Timing Selectable Auto

Cas Latency Time (tCL) Auto

RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) Auto

RAS# Precharge (tRP) Auto

Precharge Delay (tRAS) Auto

Row Refresh Cycle (tRFC) Auto

Performance Level Auto

Write to Precharge (tWR) Auto

Write to Read Delay (tWTR) Auto

Act to Act Delay (tRRD) Auto

Read to Precharge (tRTP) Auto

All Precharge to Refresh Auto

Refresh Period Ratio Auto

Refresh Period (tREF) Auto

Command Per Clock Auto

R2RD Same Rank (tRTRD) Auto

R2RD Different Rank (tRTRD) Auto

W2RD Same Rank (tWTRS) Auto

W2RD Different Rank (tWTRS) Auto

FSB Gain 1 Auto

FSB Gain 2 Auto

FSB Gain 3 Auto

FSB Gain 4 Auto

Dimm1 Clock Skew Adjust Auto

Dimm2 Clock Skew Adjust Auto

Dimm3 Clock Skew Adjust Auto

Dimm4 Clock Skew Adjust Auto

Dimm1 Control Skew Adust Auto

Dimm2 Control Skew Adust Auto

Dimm3 Control Skew Adust Auto

Dimm4 Control Skew Adust Auto

Dram 1/2 Command Skew Auto

Dram 3/4 Command Skew Auto

-------

I am going to test with the settings you gave and the instructions. I have already done this with a x6 multi but I will try again.

Okay. I set the frequency, voltages, and timings for RAM. Set the voltages for everything else and set Q6600 multiplier to 6x.

Results:

Stick 1

Slot2: Non-stop beeping; cannot POST

Slot3: Non-stop beeping; cannot POST

Stick 2

Slot1: Non-stop beeping; cannot POST

Both sticks

Slot2/4: Non-stop beeping; cannot POST

This still does not tell me if the RAM is incompatible or if both sticks are bad.

Edit:

According to a post made by a Foxconn rep

"54 with beeping

This POST Code is a part of the above initial memory configuration and testing Codes, but If the Debug LEDs display 54 with a lot of beeping, it might be something else. When you apply new settings in BIOS and hit save and exit you might get this error. It doesnt NECESSARILY mean that the settings you tried to apply dont work. Keep the power button pressed for 4 seconds to shut the board down - wait 10 seconds - then power the board on again. OC revocery will kick in, enter BIOS but just hit "save and exit" and see if the settings work now. If you get error 54 with beeps again the settings your trying wont work, most likely cause the memory cant take it. Check if the set of memory has been tested by us or any other user, search for topics/threads in the foxconn section about this set of memory to see how other users are configuring it."

I'm getting a 54 error code. No matter how many times I try booting, it beeps continuously.

I would test the memory in another system. Keep in mind that many Q6600's did not make the 400Mhz FSB. What FPO/Batch Number is that CPU? I doubt you have two bad sticks of memory, but I have seen many with Q6600's not make the 400Mhz FSB with stability. Set the memory to 1333Mhz and the FSB at 400Mhz with a 333Mhz strapping.

Do you gain boot?

Okay. I set the frequency, voltages, and timings for RAM. Set the voltages for everything else and set Q6600 multiplier to 6x.

Results:

Stick 1

Slot2: Non-stop beeping; cannot POST

Slot3: Non-stop beeping; cannot POST

Stick 2

Slot1: Non-stop beeping; cannot POST

Both sticks

Slot2/4: Non-stop beeping; cannot POST

This still does not tell me if the RAM is incompatible or if both sticks are bad.

Edit:

According to a post made by a Foxconn rep

"54 with beeping

This POST Code is a part of the above initial memory configuration and testing Codes, but If the Debug LEDs display 54 with a lot of beeping, it might be something else. When you apply new settings in BIOS and hit save and exit you might get this error. It doesnt NECESSARILY mean that the settings you tried to apply dont work. Keep the power button pressed for 4 seconds to shut the board down - wait 10 seconds - then power the board on again. OC revocery will kick in, enter BIOS but just hit "save and exit" and see if the settings work now. If you get error 54 with beeps again the settings your trying wont work, most likely cause the memory cant take it. Check if the set of memory has been tested by us or any other user, search for topics/threads in the foxconn section about this set of memory to see how other users are configuring it."

I'm getting a 54 error code. No matter how many times I try booting, it beeps continuously.

I would test the memory in another system. Keep in mind that many Q6600's did not make the 400Mhz FSB. What FPO/Batch Number is that CPU? I doubt you have two bad sticks of memory, but I have seen many with Q6600's not make the 400Mhz FSB with stability. Set the memory to 1333Mhz and the FSB at 400Mhz with a 333Mhz strapping.

Do you gain boot?

I don't have any other DDR3 motherboards to test the RAM in nor do I know anyone who uses DDR3.

The Q6600 can successfully run at 3.6 GHz stable with a 9x multi. There is no reason why it would fail to reach a FSB of 400 with a 6x multi.

The memory works perfectly at 1333 MHz. It only starts having problems above 1400 MHz.

What do you mean gain boot?

Gain boot means POST (Power on Self Test). You can RMA the memory but I would bet that the issue is the high speed/high density memory and the memory controller. I've seen this too many times.

Since you are certain that you can run with 9 X 400 on that CPU, then you need to isolate the issue. Since you can not isolate hardware as you do not have other hardware to process the isolation, then the best move is to return your memory and try with other memory. If the same issue occurs with other memory of high density and speed, then you have isolated the CPU and the Memory and are left with the memory controller.

I don't have any other DDR3 motherboards to test the RAM in nor do I know anyone who uses DDR3.

The Q6600 can successfully run at 3.6 GHz stable with a 9x multi. There is no reason why it would fail to reach a FSB of 400 with a 6x multi.

The memory works perfectly at 1333 MHz. It only starts having problems above 1400 MHz.

What do you mean gain boot?

Gain boot means POST (Power on Self Test). You can RMA the memory but I would bet that the issue is the high speed/high density memory and the memory controller. I've seen this too many times.

Since you are certain that you can run with 9 X 400 on that CPU, then you need to isolate the issue. Since you can not isolate hardware as you do not have other hardware to process the isolation, then the best move is to return your memory and try with other memory. If the same issue occurs with other memory of high density and speed, then you have isolated the CPU and the Memory and are left with the memory controller.

I bought the memory online and that was over a month ago already. It was on sale and I was not able to test it due to college.

People have been successful in running this specific memory at 1600 MHz before on this board. So I'm not sure if both my sticks are bad (I really doubt two sticks come bad..)

Would RMA be the best course of action? I might go to the store to pick up the same RAM and see if that will work. If I get a different set, I would then proceed to sell these Corsairs. I don't want to sell something that has a potential of not working.

You can RMA the memory, but you are not able to test it due to not being able to gain a boot at the appropriate settings. You can not sell back to Corsair but you can return it for another set. I think your memory is not bad because the chances of having two modules report the same non boot issue is very unlikely. You can also buy another set of modules from another manufacturer and see if the issue remains.

Also, because some people are able to make the 1600Mhz with 2GB modules on that board in no way takes away from the fact that many can not. I build the systems and I am telling you that many can not.

I bought the memory online and that was over a month ago already. It was on sale and I was not able to test it due to college.

People have been successful in running this specific memory at 1600 MHz before on this board. So I'm not sure if both my sticks are bad (I really doubt two sticks come bad..)

Would RMA be the best course of action? I might go to the store to pick up the same RAM and see if that will work. If I get a different set, I would then proceed to sell these Corsairs. I don't want to sell something that has a potential of not working.

You can RMA the memory, but you are not able to test it due to not being able to gain a boot at the appropriate settings. You can not sell back to Corsair but you can return it for another set. I think your memory is not bad because the chances of having two modules report the same non boot issue is very unlikely. You can also buy another set of modules from another manufacturer and see if the issue remains.

Also, because some people are able to make the 1600Mhz with 2GB modules on that board in no way takes away from the fact that many can not. I build the systems and I am telling you that many can not.

I guess the best bet for me is to buy another brand of memory. Then sell my current Corsairs to a buyer with no guarantee's of it working.

I could test it for you if you lived close by, but that's pretty doubtful. However, your chances of having two bad sticks is so high that I don't think that this is the issue. Be certain that the memory you buy can be returned if the issue remains.

I have found another way out of this issue and it is a bit off of the wall. I have found that 2 X 2048 with X38/X48 of high speed ie. 1600Mhz or greater just is a dice thrown and I have yet to find 4 X 1024 of high speed fail on the same platform.

This is why I say that these chipsets do not always play well with high density memories. I tried three different manufacturers models to no avail and when I moved to 4 X 1024, bingo, no problems at all.

I guess the best bet for me is to buy another brand of memory. Then sell my current Corsairs to a buyer with no guarantee's of it working.

I could test it for you if you lived close by, but that's pretty doubtful. However, your chances of having two bad sticks is so high that I don't think that this is the issue. Be certain that the memory you buy can be returned if the issue remains.

I have found another way out of this issue and it is a bit off of the wall. I have found that 2 X 2048 with X38/X48 of high speed ie. 1600Mhz or greater just is a dice thrown and I have yet to find 4 X 1024 of high speed fail on the same platform.

This is why I say that these chipsets do not always play well with high density memories. I tried three different manufacturers models to no avail and when I moved to 4 X 1024, bingo, no problems at all.

I'm going to try another set for now. Thanks for your help.

Quick question. Why does CPU-Z report my RAM with a max bandwidth of 533 MHz?

And why are the timings a bit weird.. Is it really preset for that many?

If 686 MHz is already 9-10-10-26 then how does it make sense that 800 MHz (for 1600) will be 9-9-9-24?...

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4296/ramh.png

You need to run CPU-z memory tab, not SPD tab. The SPD (Serial Presence Detect) tab just shows a report of the memories JEDEC capabilities, not the actual memory speed. If the memory tab shows 800Mhz then it is running at 1600 (800 X 2).

You need to run CPU-z memory tab, not SPD tab. The SPD (Serial Presence Detect) tab just shows a report of the memories JEDEC capabilities, not the actual memory speed. If the memory tab shows 800Mhz then it is running at 1600 (800 X 2).

Yes, since the SPD shows what the memory is capable of. How does it make sense that the memory can run at 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24 if 1372 MHz is 9-10-10-26?

The SPD has to be set to something the MB can post at with default voltage and the tested settings will need to be manually set.

Hm. So it's not my RAM just not being correct.

Looks like motherboard doesn't like running it at 1600 MHz.

With the CPU you have the fastest you can run the memory to DDR1066. You can not run the memory faster than the CPU FSB.

If you read back it shows that I have overclocked my Q6600 to 400 FSB when lowering the multi to 8x. I know this chip can run 3.6 GHz stable at 400 FSB with a 9x multiplier.

A 400 FSB with a 1:4 divider would make the RAM run at 1600 MHz, but both sticks individually fail around 1400 MHz.

• Corsair Employees
Well yes in this case it would because then if you have the same problem it would be a good bet it is not the memory. But it is your choice I don't have a problem replacing them and yes we would just replace the modules.

I doubt you will find stability even with the overclock. If you had a native 333FSB processor and overclocked it to 400Mhz you would not find this issue.

I have seen this happen on 266FSB processors and high end DDR3, overclocked or not. So, RMA if you wish but you will very likely have the same issue when you get the new memory.

The chance of two sticks showing bad when tested singly is very doubtful.

Archived