Corsair Community

Upgrade from 512 to 1024MB... Which CORSAIR memory model...?

SABOT12345

Hi RAM GUY, I have a question concerning a possible upgrade of my memory. I own an ASUS A7N8X Rev 2.0 deluxe with an Athlon XP 3200+ and with a total amount of 512 MB of memory installed, consisting of two CORSAIR TWINX512-3200LL sticks (2x CMX256A-3200LL) in DIMM slots 2 & 3. The systems runs fine at 200 Mhz FSB and in Dual Channel Mode. Now I would like to upgrade to 1024 MB. What kind of CORSAIR XMS Memory is appropriate for the upgrade? I still have one memory slot free, so is the CMX512-3200LL model the correct choice? Would it still run in Dual channnel mode? Thanks for your advice and best regards... Sabot.

[quote name='RAM GUY']No! Should be no problem at all! Just set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and you should be good to go![/QUOTE] Hmm, I've Twinx 2*256 PC3200 LL XMS. When I put voltage on 2.7 (with only the two memory sticks) then Memtest86 gives me lots of errors. (with and without overclock to 205 Mhz). But runs beautifull at 200 Mhz @ 2.6 Volt. So I wonder if this will work with additional stick and higher voltage. Bye Itsme

[quote name='RAM GUY']No! Should be no problem at all! Just set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and you should be good to go![/QUOTE] My setting right now (with still 512MB on board) is 2.6 Volts. Can you explain why a higher voltage setting is recommended for the new constellation (1x512MB & 2x256MB sticks). I'm kind of a newbie in the memory-module-business and I don't want to lose my warranty if I'm running the modules at a higher voltage level than the standard setting ... Best regards, Sab.

• Corsair Employees
Max supported voltage for all of our DDR modules up to XMS3700 would be 2.8 Volts. And most of the memory we make no uses an IC with internal voltage regulation. So adding more voltage will have little affect on the memory. However, since most chipsets house the memory controller and also share the same power source as the memory adding a bit more voltage to the memory will often times help with long term stability. More for the chipset than the memory!

• 4 months later...
Hi RAM GUY, it has been quite some time since my last reply. I finally would like to purchase the memory stick I mentioned earlier in this thread (i.e. the CMX512-3200LL). But now it seems it's not available any more. I still own an A7N8X Deluxe Rev. 2.0 with two CMX256A-3200LL sticks (=TWINX512-3200LL) and would like to upgrade to 1 GB RAM. What kind of stick do I have to get now if the CMX512-3200LL is no longer offered? Best regards, SABOT.

• Corsair Employees
I would not suggest you mix memory with a dual channel configuration, as it may make the system unstable! If you can find another use for these modules, I would suggest you just get Twinx1024-3200XL and you should be fine!

Archived