Corsair Community

question

mrvimes

Hi Ramguy.

I can safely gather from this thread that more than 4 gigs of ram won't run at 1066 on the p5k premium wifi/ap.

The ASUS literature on that mobo claims it supports 1066.

I have windows vista x64. I bought new ram - 4 sticks of corsair ddr2 1066 to replace the two sticks of ddr2 667 (********) I had in there.

At first I set it at 1066 in the bios. Doing this seemed to reset my boot sequence. Once I fixed that the computer would bluescreen once the OS tried to load (even if loading from the OS DVD) so I set the dram frequency to 'auto' in the bios. reset the boot sequence (again) and the OS booted fine. But the bios chose 800 for the ram.

Question 1: Is there ANY way to get the 8gigs running at 1066, bearing in mind I have a 64bit OS (vista ultimate)

Question 2: Is there honestly anything noticeable between 800 an 1066?

Question 3: The bios has an 889 (or thereabouts) option. Would this work? (I haven't tried it. I guess I'll try it if I want to put my computer at risk again, but I'd rather not)

Edit: just commenting that the masked word was a brand name. Interesting that it was masked.

1. You can try it, just not guaranteed.

2. Depends on what you use the system for.

As for your comment about the ****, this was covered in the rules which you were directed to upon signing up. There's a link to the rules at the top of each page.

I can safely gather from this thread that more than 4 gigs of ram won't run at 1066 on the p5k premium wifi/ap.

The ASUS literature on that mobo claims it supports 1066.

That thread does NOT say 4 GB won't work, it says 4 sticks loads the memory controller and that causes some limitations to arise.

Note that Asus says 8 GB, 1066, NOT 8 GB AT 1066.

Archived