Corsair Community

High PG value on TX 750W power supply

mark_45

I am experiencing random reboots and failure to boot at all on a new computer I just built. The error codes on the motherboard pointed to mixed CMOS data or a defective board. I reset the CMOS according to the DFI manual, but to no avail. I tried a friends video card and memory, out of his own working system, but the system did not improve. Before I RMA'd the first board back I bought a power supply tester and checked the supply. Everything looked ok so I sent the board out for a replacement and installed the new one only to find that the same problems kept occuring. Although when I tested the power supply again, this time right after trying to keep the system alive, the tester was beeping constantly and flashing a PG value of 990ms. When I check the power supply later in the day or the next moring, after the system has cooled down, the PG value returns to ~330ms and the tester seems happy. Could this high PG value be the source of the problem, or indicate a defective power supply?

• Corsair Employees
At this point when you try to power up the system do the fans turn on at all? If so, do they turn on and stay on and you just get nothing on the screen, or do they turn back off after a few seconds?

Thanks for the reply,

The fans (Scythe 1x120mm, 3x92mm; Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro) are always running when the system is on or just sitting there with a blank screen. The only time they stop, aside from shutting the system down, is when the system is stuck in a looping boot. The internal power supply fan seems to be working just fine as well as the fan on the graphics card. Although the fan speed on the graphics card drops drastically after Vista loads.

I do not have the option to try the PSU in another system, but I just tried a friends 650W Thermaltake PSU in my system and it ran without a flaw. We even went as far as running SUPER Pi, and 3D Benchmark 2005 on the system and it never crashed or tried to reboot on its own. Prior to running the system with my friends PSU we fired it on with my TX750 and the system crashed and rebooted as it had been doing previously.

Archived