Corsair Community

Voyager Mini doesn't work with hubs

spinifex

I recently purchased a Voyager Mini 8Gb to replace an aging flash drive I keep on my keyring. At work I use a "Das Keyboard" Ultimate keyboard which has two usb ports on the side, effectively a bus powered hub. The Mini isn't detected by the os when plugged into either of these ports. The drive performs as expected when plugged into the usb ports on the motherboard directly. The Mini is the only flash drive I own that exhibits this behavior, the rest have no problem working attached to the keyboard.

Similarly, on my home computer, plugging the Mini into a single port hub (like an usb extension, ending in what looks like a golf ball cut in half with a led and a usb port facing upwards) results in no joy. Other usb flash drives work fine using this port. Once again, the Mini works when plugged directly into any of the other ports physically on the tower.

From this, I can only conclude that it is definitely the Voyager Mini that has the problem, and that it appears to be something of a voltage or signaling issue due to the hubs in between it and the computer. There are no LEDs or other indicators on the drive itself to indicate whether it is working, which makes identifying the problem more difficult. Is this behavior normal for Corsair flash drives in general, or possibly just the Mini? Should I attempt to return the unit for a replacement, knowing that it may perform perfectly for the RMA tech?

• Corsair Employees
I don't have a problem replacing the flash drive but I do not think it is our flash drive with the issue. These type of devices are often times not built to standards and will not work with another USB hub and if not that is why our flash drive is not detected.

Archived