Corsair Community

incompatibilty with diiferent manufacturers

lermtt

Hi there

When i built my rig i put 2 gigs of mushkin HP ddrII 6400 4-4-4-12@2.1V in it.

And then after a year, i was looking to upgrade to 4 gigs, but mushkin stopped making that specific series.:noooooo: So then i got a great deal on 2 gigs of Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX because i checked the latencies and voltages and it matched that of the mushkin kit. The thing is now, Although the marketing latencies(if u wanna call it that) say 4-4-4-12@2.1V for both kits, the 6th latency of both pairs differ. Corsair being 22 and mushkin 23. I did not know this. So now, the two kits just don't wanna work together. i've already tried to relax the 6th timing to 23 in the bios, but the corsair keeps crashing the system. So, do u have a resolution for me, accept for telling me to sell one kit and buy another of the other?

• Corsair Employee
It is never recommended to mix and match different brands/densities/latencies/speeds etc of memory together as it can cause instabilities. This is a limitation of the memory controller, not the memory. If your 2 kits will not run together, then the best solution for you is a 2 x 2GB kit.

Archived