Corsair Community

Installed TwinX DDR2 ram sticks, but had problems.

pariah01

I tried installing two gigs worth of Corsair ram into my Micro ATX XFX GeForce 8200 motherboard right next to my one gig Centon ram stick.

Upon turning on the computer, it waited about 5-10 second before turning off. Then it turned on again. Then off. Then on. It does this periodically.

I tried removing the Corsair ram to make it stop, but even so, it's still shutting down and turning on constantly (note that I say "shutting down" and not "restarting").

Before suggesting it, I know for a fact that the ram works with my computer:

TWIN2X2048-6400C4

I ordered this product along with my new motherboard weeks ago. I had to get an RMA for the ram because one of the sticks was bad. But the other one was pulling its weight.

In the mean time, I had to buy a 1gig Centon PC-2 5300 DIMM 667Mhz. I don't know if it's relevant that I installed the TwinX next to that, but just to be safe, I'm mentioning it anyway.

Has the memory shorted my board?

• Corsair Employees
Please try the system with just our modules and I would reset the BIOS then make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I tried resetting the bios and it didn't help--it's still turning off and on in five second intervals. But then again, I'm not sure if I reset the BIOS correctly.

There are two CMOS jumpers on my motherboard with three prongs. I switched the position of both clips from right to left after taking out the battery. When I finished with the jumpers, I put the battery back in and started up. Does that sound right?

:eek:That's NOT how you reset the CMOS jumper!! What is your exact motherboard?

I tried resetting the bios and it didn't help--it's still turning off and on in five second intervals. But then again, I'm not sure if I reset the BIOS correctly.

There are two CMOS jumpers on my motherboard with three prongs. I switched the position of both clips from right to left after taking out the battery. When I finished with the jumpers, I put the battery back in and started up. Does that sound right?

Link doesn't work. I will download your manual and post back.

Edit:

What a company. I registered with the site to download the manual but I can not download the manual unless I have a serial number to register.

I will never purchase anything from this company.

Here's the S/N I got with the board: JYW000996

If it helps:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s299/Pariah3/13-141-011-S04.jpg?t=1237326578

I've tried uploading the manuals, but it's not letting me for some reason. If you need to me to email it, just let me know.

I've read it myself, but I'm not totally sure whether it's asking me to fiddle with the second jumper or not.

I've read it myself, but I'm not totally sure whether it's asking me to fiddle with the second jumper or not.

There should be only one CMOS jumper. Take the CMOS jumper off, power on the system. If the system boots, then turn it off and put it back on 1-2. If no boot, put it on 2-3, power on. This should reboot and clear the CMOS. Then put back on 1-2 and you should be good.

Called the technical support. All I had to do was pop the battery out for 60 seconds and that did the trick.

Anyway. I'm gonna try the Corsair ram again. However, I'm wondering how I put it in correctly. It's dual channel and the pamphlet tells me there's a certain way to put TwinX sticks in, but I can't tell if it's saying to put it in the second two slots, the first two slots, or every other slot.

Also, when I got the Corsair working correctly (God willing), what's the best combination to use if I want it to work with my Centon stick.

• Corsair Employees

Try the memory in one set of slots and watch the BIOS messages at POST. It should indicate single or dual channel. If you get it wrong, switch the slot order.

Also, I would not suggest mixing 2 brands of memory. This can lead to instabilities.

I don't see any such message in post. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to identify it. Is there some other way to do it from the OS?

I ran the memtest. They both show no errors.

On that note, I tested them out in both sequences: When put into two slockets side by side, it takes the system three times as long to load up the OS. When put in every other slocket, the OS loads up much much faster. Is this enough evidence that it's in dual channel mode or is it possible that dual channel mode isn't working correctly?

Archived