Corsair Community

System freezes a couple of times a day

obi2000

Hallo,

I'm getting a bit crazy lately with this issue, can't seem to solve it and the reason I add this post here is to validate or exclude my PSU.

I upgraded my pc about 6 months ago, and so I decided to upgrade to Vista64 (clean install). The first install was still with my old GP (ASUS ATI RADEON X300) and my system was running fine, as far as I can remember without freezes.

Since my system was performing badly in the graph dept. I bought a newer GP (SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON HD 4850). And after installing the new GP I didn't get any system freezes, running a very few apps. The problems started after my pc was fully installed with all the apps I 'need'. The freezes occured very randomly. The specs back then are described below

Software other then Vista tools/App

Adobe AIR

Adobe Flash player 10 ActiveX

Abode Reader 9

ASUSUpdate

ATI Catalyst Install Manager

MS outlook connector

MS Office 2007 Professional

MS Silverlight 2

MS Virtual PC 2007

MS Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1

MS Visual C++ 2005 Redistribution x64

PC Wizard 2008.1.871

Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 version 17 (deactivate Windows Firewall and Windows Defender)

Windows Live Messenger

Windows Media Player 11

Installed all vista updates available

Bios running last Bios 1201 (at that time)

Have latest drivers recommended by ASUS and

Memory Test doesn’t give issues (used multiple times, started with 20 min, but I also get to 100% if I don’t stop it.

IntelBurn Test runs at 96% memory usage but no issues reported and no freezes

Even freezes in save mode

Remarks

Is it normal that core 1/2 are AVG 5°C hotter then 3 and 4 ??

Core 3/4 CPU Usage higher then Core 1/2

I saw that memory was running at 533mhz instead of 667, fixed that in bios

Memtest86 ran perfectly

The freezes not happen at start-up, sometimes pc was stable for hours before freezing, and no indication in the eventviewer.

So at this point I reinstalled the pc, clean install of Vista64

The same issue reoccurred. I updated all drivers and testing a few versions of the GP driver, but nothing helped. Read countless fora, so made some changes based on the advice I found, but no luck.

So again a reinstall this time XPpro32bit, and ran stable for a couple of days and then it went wrong, system froze again. But I noticed that under XP system will freeze when watching movies, or anyway then I can reproduce the issue, and completely hates mkv files. I was using the latest version of K-lite codecs. So I uninstalled K-lite and installed Combined-Community-Codec-Pack, the same issue.

At this I removed the GP and plugged in the old GP (ASUS ATI RADEON X3000), but I get the same issue. So i started to test a lot of tools in the hope to find an indication as to what the issue is. Everything is running normal apart from 2 tools that showed an issue with the PSU.

First tool PCAlert4 shows a value of 3.94 on voltage +12V and marks it in red as being an issue. I believe normal values should be between 11.4V and 13.6v.

Second tool CPUID doesn't show it as an issue but is reporting 14.22V (also for +12V) as the max value since I'm running it and I got a couple of freezes while running it.

My PSU should have enough power for my config (checked on the corsair site)

So can a spike cause my system to freeze? Then I believe my PSU is broken, or did I miss something.

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry this thread is a bit long :D:

Cheers

obixena

• Corsair Employee

The software readings that you are getting are not accurate, the PSU would not turn on if the 12v rail was really at 3.94v or more than 14v. It does sound like there is a hardware problem with the system, and I would remove all components from the system which are not 100% necessary in order to boot up into Windows. If you can still duplicate the same issues, there are a few possibilities:

1. Something is overheating, check your temps next time following a shutdown.

2. The motherboard or some other component is going out of spec and tripping the overcurrent/overvoltage protection circuits in the PSU. Try the PSU in a different system to see if you have the same problems.

3. There is a faulty component in the PSU.

I would go down the list and see if you can narrow down the possibilities. If it looks like there is a good chance that a replacement PSU will resolve the issues then, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Ram Guy,

I swapped the power adapter, but the problem was not solved.

I tested the 2 Mem modules and apparentely one of them is broken, system freezes in whatever mem-slot I put it.

The only moment the system is stable is by using only 1 of the 2 mem-module.

I left the pc running for 3 days and experienced no freezes.

I'll create an RMA Request and send the mem back .. shall I add a note to explain the issue?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Andrea

Archived