Corsair Community

Memory Choice for CS4 and Matrox RT.x2

David Chilson

I am upgrading from Adobe Production Premium CS3 to CS4 and need to go to Vista 64 to take advantage of the 64 bit technology in Photoshop and be prepared when Premier and After Effects get up to speed. Additionally the Matrox Rt.X2 card now supports CS4.

This is strictly a video editing system, I do no gaming. From the Adobe and Matrox forums, the more Ram you have reduces render and encoding times plus you can see the Matrox effects in Premier and the effects in After Effects in real time.

I am trying to figure out which of the two 12G memory kits I should order for my system: Part numbers HX3X12G1600C9 or HX3X12G1333C9. Newegg carries the HX3X12G1333C9 kit and says it should be in stock this week. I cannot seem to find HX3X12G1600C9 and when I use your link to find it no vendors are listed.

More importantly, if there is a better/faster choice please advise. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I would go with the 1600Mhz memory for your video editing system. It will be snappier when acting many steps at one render. But if you are not overclocking, then the 1333Mhz memory will certainly be fast enough. The stock speed for the i7 is 1066Mhz so you will at either setup, be running the memory faster than the CPU, so you will not experience any memory stuttering.

These modules are not easy to bin since they must be matched identically and of a higher quality to effect the full speed of a 3 module solution in a 6 module solution. It seems that the 1600Mhz six module kit is on backorder.

• Corsair Employees

I agree that if it is within the budget, the 1600 is the better of the 2 choices but, the 1333 will not be bad. If you are fully utilizing 4 cores (or 8 virtual cores) with well writting multi threaded software, you will make great use of the additional bandwidth.

Also, this is a relatively new part so it will be in stock in greater numbers very soon.

Derekt and Ram Guy

First let me thank you for your help. It's guys like you that make these forums so helpful.

You wrote "These modules are not easy to bin since they must be matched identically and of a higher quality to effect the full speed of a 3 module solution in a 6 module solution"

Yee gads! To be truthful I'm a creative old guy, 11 months short of 50 and a little technically challenged, so please forgive my ignorance. But I am willing to learn. I have no idea what "binning" is and how to match them identically or the difference of a 3 or 6 module solution. Is there an article or post that shows this?

I guess that is why memory is sold in sets? So I then would assume one couldn't purchase two 6gb, or 3 4gb sets to make up the 12? I also noticed on our motherboard one must OC the memory to get to 1600 and that doesn't look too difficult so I could handle that.

My only caveat is that I have about 8 weeks to get this system up and running and bugs removed before serious filming starts, then I will have little time to work out the kinks.

I can wait about three to four weeks for the 1600 ram, but am not sure if that is what Ram Guy meant by "very soon". Also could you please advise me as to a vendor who will be carrying this? (Now I need a nap)

Thanks again for your help

Dave

I have no idea what "binning" is and how to match them identically or the difference of a 3 or 6 module solution. Is there an article or post that shows this?

Binning is testing memory at the Integrated Circuit Level and at the finished module level to be certain that the kit will run at the given full speed. Running with 6 modules puts a greater demand on the Integrated Memory Controller situated on the CPU. For this reason, often when people purchase two single kits of memory, they must drop the speed, ie. 1600 --> 1333Mhz, 1333 --> 1066Mhz to find stabilty. The 6 module kit goes through a far more rigorous testing (binning) for higher quality responses.

I guess that is why memory is sold in sets? So I then would assume one couldn't purchase two 6gb, or 3 4gb sets to make up the 12? I also noticed on our motherboard one must OC the memory to get to 1600 and that doesn't look too difficult so I could handle that.

You certainly could buy two sets, but you might well have to drop the DRAM speed to attain stability. So if you bought 2 of 1600C9 (3 module kits) you might have to drop the speed to 1333Mhz to gain stability. The 6 module kit has been tested and validated (Binned) to run at the given speed in the full kit.

• Corsair Employees
HX3X12G1600C9 is a new part and should hit the shelves any time but I suspect it will be hard to get at first, just keep checking but if you want 12 Gig at DDR1600 this should be the only choice.

Hello All, I am looking at an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 and would like to use

HX3X12G1600C9 G in this system. I realize these are hard to come by but I have located them.

Can you confirm if thes modules are supported in this board?

Thanks

Boyd,

Just ordered mine on Friday hopefully they should arrive next week. As soon as I get everything in I will let you know. My motherboard the ASUS P6T6 Revolution is a little different than yours. My maximum is 12GB, yours is 24 so any adjustments may be a little different. I'm sure DerekT and the Ram guy can get us where we need to be.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Finally everything arrived and I put the system together this weekend. After reading a few other posts, I downloaded the latest bios and enabled XMP. I started with 2gb and kept testing as I added the balance and all seems good to go, with all 12gb.

Being new to this and this being my first I7, I am not sure I am reading the CPU-Z correctly. I have attached a screen shot of the CPU and Memory tabs. I think it is saying that the memory is at a little over 1600 but I am not sure if enabling XMP overclocks the CPU?

I have googled "how to read CPU-Z" but to no avail. I'm old, I need instructions! What I am trying to accomplish is to reatain the memory at 1600 and get 3.2 to 3.4 overclock. Is this possible and if so could I get a little help in the correct procedure. Thanks a lot.

Dave

CPU-Z1.png.809611474b2c135ce069b7b463e36629.png

Your settings are correct. The bus values are multiples and divisors of the components bus and are often digitally given. Round them off and you get the value. As long as you are close to the spec, you are at the spec.

I would test with memtest to be certain that you are stable.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to a CD-ROM disk, boot to the CD-ROM disk and allow for two full passes.

Then we will move to the overclock.

Finally everything arrived and I put the system together this weekend. After reading a few other posts, I downloaded the latest bios and enabled XMP. I started with 2gb and kept testing as I added the balance and all seems good to go, with all 12gb.

Being new to this and this being my first I7, I am not sure I am reading the CPU-Z correctly. I have attached a screen shot of the CPU and Memory tabs. I think it is saying that the memory is at a little over 1600 but I am not sure if enabling XMP overclocks the CPU?

I have googled "how to read CPU-Z" but to no avail. I'm old, I need instructions! What I am trying to accomplish is to reatain the memory at 1600 and get 3.2 to 3.4 overclock. Is this possible and if so could I get a little help in the correct procedure. Thanks a lot.

Dave

DerekT,

Memtest went fine and I am running Sandra Professional now for over 4 hours without a hiccup. Thanks so much for your help and I will buy a

DerekT-Shirt to go along with my RamGuy T-shirt when they become available. :laughing:

Maybe it could say "DerekT stopped me from killing my wife" or "Thanks to DerekT, I no longer drink before noon" and for Ram guy's T-shirt, "Got Ram?" or " Ram, Let me tell you where to put it".

Talk to you soon

Dave

I was just jumping on the "Buy a RamGuy T-shirt" bandwagon I saw on the other thread. OK, my pithy suggestions for wording on the shirts probably won't garner me a T-shirt silkscreen franchise, but it was a quick attempt.

I really appreciate the help, especially since I make a living off of my computers. Cutting down on computer time means I can do more jobs, make more money and most importantly, play more golf.

Not to mentions the money I saved in doing this myself. I know the cost of having some one else build it for me, there is a substantial savings. So if there were a way to compensate those that helped out I would like to know.

Thanks

Dave

Archived