Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX gone bad?

emaxxman

I have 4 memory chips (1 gig each):

2 * CM2X1024-6400C5DHX

2 * TWIN2X2048-6400

I've been running with all 4 since Xmas just fine. The PC was brand new in September 2008. I have an ASUS P5QL-E motherboard and Windows XP SP3 with all updates applied. I also have Norton-Symantec Endpoint Protection.

Everything has been running fine with no errors whatsoever since September 2008.

I recently started getting the blue screen of death in Windows. I've received 3 different errors:

1) Windows reports my BIOS is not fully ACPI compliant...don't know why it would suddenly start reporting this after almost 6 months.

2) BAD_POOL_HEADER on the blue screen.

3) PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

Error #1 is the most common. I can't even boot into Windows. I tried to boot using my Windows XP cd. If I manage to get past the "copying files to harddrive" stage, I get the other two errors.

I ran memtest v3.5 - it ran for less than 10 seconds and machine rebooted.

I ran Microsoft's Windows Memeroy Diagnostic tool - it report more memory errors than I could read.

So...I pulled the 2 CM2X1024-6400C5DHX chips. I ran both memory diagnostic tools and they completed multiple passes with no issues. Is bad memory the cause of the errors above? After removing the 2 chips, I'm now able to boot into and log onto Windows XP with no issues.

• Are the two types of memory chips compatible with each other?
  • Is there a specific setting in my bios that needs to be configured to have 4 1gig chips installed? I know about the 32bit OS limitation of 3.12 gigs of memory.

The twin2x2048 chips ran for 12+ hours with memtest v3.5 (that's the only version I could find.)

On pass #18, 3 errors were detected. A total of 29 passes completed with only those 3 errors. Chip in slot 1 had 1 error. Chip in slot 2 had 2 errors.

My bios is set to "auto" for all memory settings. Should I reconfigure them manually and rerun the test?

CPU-Z showed that the memory was running at 1.8v. The specs for the twin2x2048 say it should be 1.9v. Should I change it to that?

What are timing and speed settings?

Attached are screenshots from speedfan, cpu-z, and memtest.

PC INFO DOCS.zip

• Corsair Employees
The twin2x2048 chips ran for 12+ hours with memtest v3.5 (that's the only version I could find.)
Wired provided a link in the post above yours for the most recent version of Memtest.

CPU-Z showed that the memory was running at 1.8v. The specs for the twin2x2048 say it should be 1.9v. Should I change it to that?

Yes, you need to enter your BIOS and manually set this voltage. Also, enter the BIOS section for USB and disable Legacy USB Support while running these tests.

Hi RAM GUY and Wired,

Sorry about memtest...I didn't notice it was a link. Is there a specific feature in v. 2.11 that you're looking for? Can I just stick with v.3.5? If there is something specific, I have no problem re-running the test.

Here's the latest...ran the c5dhx chips in slots DIMM A1 and B1. Memtest v.3.5 ran for over 12 hours with no issues.

I'm going to put the twin2x2024 back in, bump up the voltage to 1.9v and rerun the memtest (with v.2.11 if you think that's necessary.)

Quick question...if I want to run all 4 chips, how do I compensate for the different voltages? Do I just bump the BIOS up to 1.9v for all 4 chips? Will that cause a problem for the 1.8v DHX chips?

Thanks for your help so far...it's been very informative and helpful.

Archived