Corsair Community

Poor maintenance support

adamsfbay

I want to be clear: I'm very happy with the day-to-day functioning of the Hydrocool. It does it's job well. In contrast, the official Corsair support for routine maintenance of the unit is about as poor as it can get. Three points: 1. It was clearly recommended in this forum that the unit's fluid be purged and exchanged once a year. There is no mention of HOW to do it in the documenation. Frequent requests for official information from Corsair in this forum have yielded a host of responses, mostly raising new issues rather than a providing a clear answer for the average user: (1) we do it using a compressed air pump (geez, I have one of those lying in wait), (2) just unplug the MB and run the Hydrocool without turning on your processor (I'd love to, but there is no way I know of to easily turn on the power supply if it's not connected to the MotherBoard's Power ON button!!!!), (3) just reattach your heatsink/fan to the processor (great, THAT"S convenient!!!), (4) we have units running a long, long time w/o changing the fluid (great, but why did Corsair recommend a yearly flush). Bottom line: Corsair shouldn't put a product into the market that requires some form of maintenance in one year without providing a speck of detail as to how an end user can do it. I've posted three times, and written to CoolGuy - not a single response from him. 2. Rant #2: The bulb. I've had my unit four months. The bulb just burnt out. I've read on this forum that this has happened to others. Given that access to the bulb is not convenient (to say the least), it's poor design to have a part that fails so readily. I've never seen this type of bulb before - clearly it's not something that you can pick up easily at the hardware store. Furthermore, after the awkward unscrewing and removing of the plastic case to access this bulb, I've tried everything to get the bulb out of it's little socket, and I just can't do it. Any advice? Once again, Corsair should have used a long-lasting LED if they were going to make this part so user unserviceable. 3. Rant #3: Guineau pig. That's me. I bought this unit in December 2003 - the original Hydrocool. A few months later they come up with a new model. New features? Not really - they fixed BASIC flaws in the old units (the lack of an intake filter, the noise from vibrating grommets, etc.) that users complained about. So here I am, four months into it, with a homemade fan filter taped onto my intake, wondering where it was I signed up to be an experimental subject. In an ideal world, Corsair would offer to swap my 200 for the new 200EX, would tell me how to routinely service the fluids, and/or provide me with replacment parts (e.g. bulb) that failed so early in the lifetime of my device. Corsair - I'm waiting to hear from you . -Adam

interesting about the bulb.. i only got my HC200 original unit 3 days ago and didn't know the bulb could burn out so easily. Maybe it's because the bulb is on 24/7 that it burnt out quickly ? Wouldn't it be better to have a bulb switch on the outside so the end user can switch the light off if not needed 24/7 ?

I've had mine since the first release and it's on an average of 4-8 hours a day, everyday and my bulb is fine. But bulbs, any bulbs are suseptical to being joilted, bumped etc. anytime prior to delivery to the customer which can weaken/shorten the life of the bulb by damaging the filament. :eek:

Just a quick check of the forum revealed that this was covered before. See [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19264&highlight=bulb[/url] there you will see suggestions on removing the bulb and different bulbs from different manufacturers available at your local automotive store (autozone, advance auto.) Hope this helps.

A cut and paste from Stev: Hours: 2,500 Size: W2.1x4.9d The bulbs usually come in a two pack. Price is about $2-$3. I would highly recommend using needle nose pliers having electrical tape wrapped around each jaw end prior to pulling. Then with easy force around the bulb, pulling upward. Thus, the dead bulb will not shatter leaving the remains in the socket. If the bulb does shatter, one can then pull the remainder out with the nose pliers and vacuum out the unit and socket. Installing the bulb is an easy push in.

[quote name='morrisgs']A cut and paste from Stev: Hours: 2,500 Size: W2.1x4.9d The bulbs usually come in a two pack. Price is about $2-$3. I would highly recommend using needle nose pliers having electrical tape wrapped around each jaw end prior to pulling. Then with easy force around the bulb, pulling upward. Thus, the dead bulb will not shatter leaving the remains in the socket. If the bulb does shatter, one can then pull the remainder out with the nose pliers and vacuum out the unit and socket. Installing the bulb is an easy push in.[/QUOTE] Thanks for the tip. I suppose I have no choice. Once again, however, this is a RIDICULOUS amount of effort to change a part that shouldn't fail so readily in the first place. They should have either used an LED or made the bulb easier to access and remove. Needle-nose pliers wrapped with tape, a vacuum cleaner, and a trip to an automotove parts dealer - my butt! I suppose while I'm there I should pick up a compressed air pump so I can change the coolant in my hydrocool as well. Too bad they don't have a second PSU so I can power up the Hydrocool to flush the system without frying my CPU! Does anyone else think this is ridiculous? Of course, NONE of it is documented in the online or packaged literature that came with the unit.

You don't need a second power supply or a compressor, just unplug your power to the MB (some suggest unpluging the power to your hard drive(s) and CD/DVD drives as well) and use a jumper to start up your power supply. This way you can run your H200 system without powering up the computer and having to worry about temps during your process. Or if you don't feel safe doing it yourself you can buy an ATX Power Bypass Adaptor for under $5 all over the web, an example is [url]http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HSPC&Product_Code=ATXbypass&Category_Code=H2Oextra[/url] I'm planning on flushing mine soon as it's been nearly a year. Was hoping to install the newly released NB and VGA blocks at thte same time - if they were released. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the quick disconnects have to be cut off of at least one line (I plan to do both one at a time since I am going to flush the system in both directions to help remove any contaminanents.) Stev from Delphi has stated that a flushing kit is or has been developed to assist in flushing but only Corsair knows when it too will be released. Hope this helps

[quote name='morrisgs']You don't need a second power supply or a compressor, just unplug your power to the MB (some suggest unpluging the power to your hard drive(s) and CD/DVD drives as well) and use a jumper to start up your power supply. This way you can run your H200 system without powering up the computer and having to worry about temps during your process. Or if you don't feel safe doing it yourself you can buy an ATX Power Bypass Adaptor for under $5 all over the web, an example is [url]http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HSPC&Product_Code=ATXbypass&Category_Code=H2Oextra[/url] I'm planning on flushing mine soon as it's been nearly a year. Was hoping to install the newly released NB and VGA blocks at thte same time - if they were released. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the quick disconnects have to be cut off of at least one line (I plan to do both one at a time since I am going to flush the system in both directions to help remove any contaminanents.) Stev from Delphi has stated that a flushing kit is or has been developed to assist in flushing but only Corsair knows when it too will be released. Hope this helps[/QUOTE] Once again, thanks for your help. Where is Corsair Support to answer questions like these? On another note, I explicitly followed bulb removal instructions to replace the ridiculously difficult-to-maintain bulb. I used a needle nose pliers wrapped in electrical tape. There was no way that bulb was coming out. A little more pressure and - snap - bulb shatters. Now I'm digging out crap from the socket and I doubt I'll ever get it all out to the point where I can use a replacement bulb. Time to ask corsair to send me a new unit. I am not going to accept any downtime on this PC because of their crappy design of a bulb. I will let you know how they treat me. -Adam

As a side note, it is going on 3 months now as I am trying to get a spare cooling block (OEM). As for flushing the unit, what I do is siphon out the liquid in the reservoir, fill it with fresh coolant (33%), run it for 3-5', than drain. I do this 3-5 times. You cannot run the unit dry due to a built-in safeguard (probably backflow valves). However, this gets expensive if you use the Corsair coolant. Automotive antifreeze is much cheaper. Check the documentation on the CD. I believe it contains more info.

Where'd ya buy that HydroCool, Eva? Heh heh. Yeah, it should come with a CD with more info than what's in the quick start pamphlet, though I have never looked at the CD yet. One thing I noticed on my HydroCool was that the factory used what looked to be matt finish Scotch tape on the plastic bags (to seal it shut). Anybody else notice this? The box was factory sealed though and I got it from Newegg so I had no reason to suspect it was a return.

edger and eva2000, If you didn't receive a CD with the HydroCool, you could either contact Corsair to ship one out to you or download the manual right from the Corsair web site at: [url]http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/hydrocool.html[/url] I would also highly recommend for everyone to book mark this page as the manuals are updated from time-to-time. The original CD and quick guide that is packed with the HC refers to an old support page that no longer exists. Help this helps. Stev

[quote name='eva2000']i got a quick start guide then full paper manuals in 2 languages for the unit[/QUOTE] Ditto here...with my original unit anyway. As for my REPLACEMENT, which I've been waiting for for OVER THREE WEEKS NOW, I have no idea. I'll let you know when I get it, IF EVER! Ahhh, that feels better! /bitching mode off :p: Regards, Roger

I have the CD. It contains PDF versions of the manuals without very much more detail: certainly nothing about flushing the system or replacing broken lights. The link on the disk doesn't cover these areas, either. For the record, I removed the shattered remnants of the bulb as best as humanly possible. It looks clear. I've ordered two LED lights from the site recommended by the Delphi guy (thanks!) and will let you know how they work out once they arrive. They're good for 100K hours, so hopefully I won't be doing this again.

[quote name='adamsfbay'] 1. It was clearly recommended in this forum that the unit's fluid be purged and exchanged once a year. There is no mention of HOW to do it in the documenation ... [/QUOTE] The advice to purge the unit annually is incorrect ... as long as distilled water was used originally and the 1/3 propylene glycol was added, there is no need to change the fluid ... it should last many years. [quote name='adamsfbay'] 2. Rant #2: The bulb. I've had my unit four months. The bulb just burnt out ... [/QUOTE] These seem to be pretty bad ... it would not be a big deal for them to mail a handful out to any user requesting them for free. More to the point, an LED replacement would be better. [quote name='adamsfbay'] 3. Rant #3: Guineau pig. That's me. I bought this unit in December 2003 - the original Hydrocool. A few months later they come up with a new model. New features? Not really - they fixed BASIC flaws in the old units (the lack of an intake filter, the noise from vibrating grommets, etc.) that users complained about. So here I am, four months into it, with a homemade fan filter taped onto my intake, wondering where it was I signed up to be an experimental subject ... [/QUOTE] The filter only removes the largest of "dust bunnies" ... you actually get better temps if you remove the filters and then maybe vacuum the core once a year (do that instead of changing your fluid and you'll be further ahead). The only change to reduce noise was to remove the rubber pump mount ... that was done on later non-EX Hydrocools anyway. You could do the same yourself if you want ... only makes a difference if you get a chassis that happens to have the cover touching the frame in just the right way. Good luck! KK

I wanted to let everyone know that I got my LED replacement bulb today. I opted for the Super Blue #37 14W. It fit nicely into the socket I had cleaned after shattering the original, burnt-out bulb during removal. I must say I'm really pleased with the look of the Blue LED. Moreover, knowing it's good for over 100,000 hours of continual use ..... this leaves me wondering why Corsair wouldn't opt for an LED solution in the first place. The cost to me was $7, and I'm sure in bulk it would be far less. Anyway, I highly recommend it as a cool mod at the very least, and preventive medicine for something you will definitely need to do before too long.

btw, I had the original HC200.. sold it and bought the EX version. Also, it was me that started that thread about changing the bulb.. for me it was easy to get to but not easy to remove. I followed all the suggestions and bam.. that thing shattered all over the dam place. But ah well. it was no big deal.. cleaned out the socket and put a new bulb on that corsair sent me. I also was one of the original owners of the unit, and I will say.. Corsair support has been tops for me, I've never had a problem.. although I did have to keep buggin' cool guy to get that bulb sent out to me! :bigeyes: but now that I know these can be had at any automotive place it's no biggie. But again, Corsair support be it.. for the coolers or ram, they've taken care of all my problems and exchanges fast!. Good Luck!

Archived