Corsair Community

Loud Fan Noise from Corsair VX 550

GriGaS

Hello,

About a year ago, i bought Corsair VX550 for my new system. At the beginning it seemed pretty quiet (compared to my old system) but as the time goes by, it seems that it gets louder and louder.

Usually my system idles, while i download or surf the internet. I have 3 120mm fans at 500 rpm on my LianLi PC7 case and i have also put some noise blocking material on the side panels of the case.

However there is a lot of noise from the PSU. I have tried stopping the noise with a piece of carton (as i read in your forum) and indeed the noise stopped.

I read in a review that corsair psus have a piece of plastic that changes the flow of the air, that cause some noise problems and that if i remove it the noise would be gone. However this should void the warranty.

What do you think I should do?

• Corsair Employees
I would try loosening the four fan screws on the bottom of the unit about a 1/4 turn to see if there is any difference. If the noise is still loud enough to be bothersome we can try replacing the unit for you. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

I would try loosening the four fan screws on the bottom of the unit about a 1/4 turn to see if there is any difference.

I tried it and it doesn't make any difference. I think that the fan operates at higher rpm than it should be.

If the noise is still loud enough to be bothersome we can try replacing the unit for you. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

As I live in Greece, I have a couple of questions before RMA.

1. I have bought the PSU from PLAISIO, which appears to be an authorised resaler of yours. Should I try RMAing the PSU there?

2. If I decide to send the PSU to you, how long is it approximately gonna take until I have my PSU back? Do you also cover postal expenses?

Thanks for your response

George Rigas

• Corsair Employees

It would likely be easier and faster to replace the unit with your local reseller, however if they can not help you, then we can certainly get it replaced. To have us replace the memory directly you can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Once you receive an RMA number you can contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com and they should be able to let you know what RMA options may be available for you.

A standard international RMA would usually take 7-14 business days, and you would pay the shipping back to us, and we would pay the return shipping.

Archived