Corsair Community

TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX RMA, different sets

cje

Hi, I had 2 of these kits before. Both were rated 1333 mhz, 9-9-9-24 @1.5v, version 3.1.

One of the kits developed a fault and was RMA'd to Corsair.

I received a different kit back 1333 mhz, 9-9-9-24 @1.6v, version 3.1.

The two original kits worked fine in all slots filled, but now I get random lockups and freezes.

RAM was set to 1066, and voltage to 1.6v. I just don't know what to do.

I know they aren't guaranteed to work in seperate kits, but I bought them together especially for that reason.

Does a different voltage requirement in the 2 RMA'd modules make any difference?

Thanks.

EDIT - I think it is a memory controller issues, as I just tested them both single and dual channel and all worked great.

Any idea what to tweak to sort out any mem controller issues? NB Voltage is set to 1.5v now.

EDIT 2 - PAssed 4 passes memtest. So I think memory controller was the issue here. Needed a lot more voltage with this new kit for some reason.

EDIT - 3. Yeah, needed more NB voltage to run these stable. The old kit needed 0.4v less than these new kits, wierd.

Mod or admin can lock/ delete this thread if they wish.

No, it wasn't stable. It worked fine for 2 hours gaming, but then both displays went black and pc restarted.

Memtest has passed 4 times. NB temp was 55 degrees, which should be fine.

NB voltage was at 1.5v.

The overclock works brilliantly with only 2 modules installed.

The PC will freeze if I attempt to boot with fsb at 1600 and RAM at 1333. The old RMA'd kit worked fine like this.

What is different with this new kit, that has changed from the old kit I had?

Both are same versions. I would be grateful for any help or advice.

Also, I am not sure how to test the NB for stability.

You would be a lot better off if you were to sell the 4 X 1024 and move to 2 X 2048. Clearly your mainboard memory controller has issues with a four slot population and has returned greater issues in the longer term. Sooner or later, if you continue this way, you will have a damaged memory controller and/or damaged slots/dual channel mode and/or damaged memory modules.

You can alternatively RMA the mainboard for not running with 4 DRAM slots. You did all the right things. You dropped the speed and raised the MCP/SPP voltages and still the memory controller returned longer term degeneration. I've seen this occur many times and doubly so with Nvidia Memory Controller chipsets.

Ah boo. Was afraid you might say that. Well, at least I did the right things, but I didn't know enough to know I did the right things.

I was looking at the 2048 x 2 1600 kit that Corsair have got. 2 RAM module in the blue slots on the mobo work just fine. But not with the 2 white ones filled as well.

They used to work. You say if I continue to operate it like this I will damage the mobo memory controller? Surely if they provide you with 4 slots, then they would expect you to fill 4 slots without damaging it?

How do I know for sure that the new RAM will work? I don't want to splash out on new ram, if my mobo is becoming damaged....

I understand your concern. I don't know any guarantee that would achieve your concerns. I agree that they expect you to fill 4 slots without damage and most of the time this is what occurs. Then there are the boards that refuse to respond to such a population immediately, and the ones such as yours that degrade (Memory Controller) in the longer term.

This is the reason that Nvidia has purchased and traded technologies with Intel in order to use Intel chipsets. They have issues with their memory controller technology and high speed memories. These issues are both on their AMD and Intel solutions.

So, you can RMA the board if it is still within the RMA warranty. I say that if you continue on in the same method, that you will find further degeneration. I say that because of the Second Law of Thermodynamics ie. The "Law of Entropy", which states that degeneration is one way and increasing in effect.

You may want to RMA the board and move to 2 X 2048MB.

Ah boo. Was afraid you might say that. Well, at least I did the right things, but I didn't know enough to know I did the right things.

I was looking at the 2048 x 2 1600 kit that Corsair have got. 2 RAM module in the blue slots on the mobo work just fine. But not with the 2 white ones filled as well.

They used to work. You say if I continue to operate it like this I will damage the mobo memory controller? Surely if they provide you with 4 slots, then they would expect you to fill 4 slots without damaging it?

How do I know for sure that the new RAM will work? I don't want to splash out on new ram, if my mobo is becoming damaged....

I tried setting everything to 1333 fsb and ram, (with settings that worked before).

And it freezes before it enter windows. I don't know what's going on. Totally confused.

Maybe the mem controller actually has given up already? It's booted fine on stock settings, but don't know if it's stable like this or not yet.

Have you tried a fresh installation of the OS on a different drive?

I tried setting everything to 1333 fsb and ram, (with settings that worked before).

And it freezes before it enter windows. I don't know what's going on. Totally confused.

Maybe the mem controller actually has given up already? It's booted fine on stock settings, but don't know if it's stable like this or not yet.

I swapped RAM sticks around, (Put old kit in channel 2, and new kit in channel 1) and it's booted up just fine.

What does this suggest?

EDIT - I don't have another hard drive, but I could re-image a clean OS install on this HDD... using Acronis trueimage.

It could also be that the modules do not play nice together. I would think that your issues will reappear. If your system did not fail on Windows when you run with two sticks, then I doubt you have corrupted the OS.

I swapped RAM sticks around, (Put old kit in channel 2, and new kit in channel 1) and it's booted up just fine.

What does this suggest?

EDIT - I don't have another hard drive, but I could re-image a clean OS install on this HDD... using Acronis trueimage.

The pc works fine with only 2 modules.

With 4 modules it works fine, provided the New 1.6v rated kit is in channel 1, and the old kit rated 1.5v is in channel 2.

The pc booted up fine and played far cry 2 for 10 minutes no problems now at 1333 mhz.

You may be one of the majority. It might be that the modules needed to be set to the slots as you have done and that there is no problem with the memory controller. I would increase the voltage +.2v to the memory controller as you have previously done at any rate. I would lower the bandwidth with a four DRAM slot population. Hopefully you do not find issues that are longer term again.

Good luck.

The pc works fine with only 2 modules.

With 4 modules it works fine, provided the New 1.6v rated kit is in channel 1, and the old kit rated 1.5v is in channel 2.

The pc booted up fine and played far cry 2 for 10 minutes no problems now at 1333 mhz.

The problem is that you can't really test for NB stability in a degenerative issue. You can test with LinX, Memtest, etc. and they will show you the stability at the time of the testing.

The best test is 24/7 usage with stability. If you can run a few weeks non-stop without any issues, then very likely you will be fine. With the price of memory becoming less and less, I advise people to move to 2GB X 2 modules and I don't advise 2GB X 4 modules. I do this because there are less issues that can happen and most people have no need for 8GB. The ones that do, I build them 8GB systems, but there are more possible issues that arise, both short and long term.

The same is seeming to happen with the triple channel i7 as well.

What would you suggest to test for NB and RAM stability?

Linx? Intel burn?

How many passes?

Trouble is, it worked fine for about 2 hours, and then I just got a black screen.

The pc didn't restart, just displays went black and into power saving mode.

Maybe NB or MOFSETS overheating caused this?

With 2 sticks installed, it only needs 1.45v on the NB. With 4 sticks it needs 1.5v NB.

So increase in heat as well, catch 22 until I get my spotcool fan.

All is well running at 1333 mhz fsb and RAM now. Played far cry 2 for 3 hours no problems.

At 1333 fsb and ram, NB needs only 1.32v, but at 1600 it needs a massive jumps to 1.5v.

EDIT - No, I lied, it freezes on boot when RAM is set to 1333. Maybe more NB voltage, I don't know.

It booted perfectly fine with all the original kits installed, but with this new kit, combined with 1 old kit it won't.

EDIT 2 - Needs 1.36 in BIOS to boot succesfully with RAM also 1333.

Before this new kit, I could boot up with 4 slots filled at 1.3 in BIOS. Different kit might need more NBv? Or maybe mem controller degeneration?

Ignore previous post. lowered bandwidth to 1066 as DerekT suggested, all is good. NB voltage does need to be raised a bit to run all four sticks at 1333 mhz, but then temps rise above 50.

No point in caning my motherboard, just for a few extra mhz.

That would be best I think.

But I want to make sure that the memory controller isn't degenerating. I'm running 4 modules at 1066mhz, with fsb at 1333 at the moment. If memory controller is degenerating, I would be running into problems over the coming weeks right?

Yeah, that's what the motherboard switches to automatically.

But before, with the older kit, it automatically assigned them to 1333. And they required less NB voltage to operate at that frequency.

I'm just confused, would a different RAM kit cause this need for extra NB voltage?

4 DIMMs running at 1333 only required 1.3 NBv before, but with the kit RMA'd it require 1.36 NBv.

Archived