Corsair Community

Rebate card woes

WaywardG

I recently received a rebate on a Corsair product, and was surprised twofold; firstly that it arrived at all, given my track record with rebates in general, not just from Corsair, and secondly that it was not a check, but a Citibank issued prepaid Visa card with terms and agreements and a privacy statement. I read both, and was appalled. In the privacy statement, Citi basically states that they will not share your personal information except with their associates or any non-affiliated third party they choose. In the terms of the agreement, in addition to numerous fees and penalties, you waive "the right to go to court, including the right to a jury and the right to participate in a class action or similar proceeding." I chose not to accept the agreement and called Citi to have my card canceled and the balance sent to me in the form of a check, and was denied. They told me the card had "no cash value" and "must be used towards a purchase."

Basically, what this means is that if you receive a rebate card, you have two choices: accept the terms and use some of the rebate (using all of it runs the risk of a $15 over-limit fee), or don't accept the terms and cancel the card, loosing its balance in the process. Either way, you'll want to cancel the card afterward or start accumulating inactivity fees.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I felt I had to warn fellow consumers, and express my disappointment with Corsair and Citibank and any other company that treats their customers in this manner.

• Corsair Employees
To be honest I was surprised by your post I was not aware that the rebate company was not sending out a check for rebates. I have sent this onto our Sales Manager and asked them to look into this, in the mean time I would suggest calling our customer service if you are not happy with what you were sent and see if there is anything they can do. 888-222-4346 Ext "3".

• 1 month later...
The Corsair service department never did respond to an email I sent them regarding my displeasure with the rebate card I got sent, past the automated response telling me my email had been received. In the time since then and now, however, the complaint I filed with my local attorney general's office after Citi informed me my rebate had 'no cash value' has borne fruit. I guess Citi can push consumers around and not give them their money, but after they were contacted by said attorney general's office, I got my check. Totally not worth the hassle for $30, but easily worth it as a statement against being taken for a fool by rebate schemes.

I sent the message again, with a cc to Ram Guy, and this time I got a response the next day, informing me that the switch to rebate cards was for the customer's convenience, because the cards lasted a year, next to three months for the check. Being unable to use my card anywhere cash is accepted, being unable to access 100% of its value even where it is accepted, having its value drop due to inactivity fees after six months, and having to agree to a ridiculous agreement and so called privacy statement doesn't sound particularly convenient to me, but I'm just one person. Besides, who can't cash or deposit a check within three months of receiving it? They also admitted that not everyone would find the card as convenient, and offered to replace it with a check if I mailed them the card. It could be worse, but this is still another (hidden) step and another stamp in the already convoluted process to get a rebate check. If they're so willing to offer us a choice, why not offer it up front?

Archived