Corsair Community

Asus Maxiumus Extreme X38 & TR3X6G1600C8D only stable at 1066Mhz?

Deeps1987

Check my system specs above.

I cant seem to get the mobo and RAM to run at 1600Mhz. Iv tried stock timings of 8-8-8-24 2T @ 1600Mhz 1.65v, no joy. It doesn't even post. My mobo overvolts the RAM so its actually set to 1.6v in the BIOS, but it's actually giving the ram 1.68v. Even when i underclock the RAM to 1333 or under. Its only stable at 1066Mhz. I have the latest BIOS. But i still get BSOD.

I had OCZ memory before and i sent back numerous kits, i couldn't get my 1800Mhz kit to run at stock speeds, it was only stable at 12** (cant quiet remember the exact speed. Hence the change in memory brand to Corsair, hoping it was just OCZ being crap.

N.B. I know its a triple channel kit, but im only using two sticks, bought the triple channel kit so when i upgrade to i7, its not all in one chunk which eases the pressure of my credit card lol.

You will have a hard time trying to achieve even 1600Mhz memory with a 266Mhz FSB processor. You will have to overclock to a 400Mhz FSB (400 X 4 = 1600MHz QDR) processor to reach the speed of a (800 X 2 = 1600Mhz) on the memory. The CPU must run as fast as the memory. It can not run slower than the memory with Intel chipsets. I would drop the multiplier and raise the FSB. As well, those systems are set for higher voltages on the memory interface with the memory controller hub (MCH) on the motherboard so you may have to raise the memory voltage. You are still warranted for up to and including 2.0v on that memory, but I doubt if you will need more than 1.8v and likely less, but you may have to play with it to find the marriage between the memory voltage and the memory controller voltage. Set to 1.7v to test initially.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

Download CPU-z from

Extreme Tweaker 

Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual 
OC From CPU Level Up : Auto
CPU Ratio Control : Manual
- Ratio CMOS Setting : 8
FSB Frequency : 400
FSB Strap to North Bridge : 333
PCI-E Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1600
DRAM Command Rate : 2N
DRAM Timing Control: Manual 
CAS# Latency : 8
RAS# to CAS# Delay : 8
RAS# Precharge : 8
RAS# ActivateTime : 24
RAS# to RAS# Delay : Auto
Row Refresh Cycle Time : Auto
Write Recovery Time : Auto
Read to Precharge Time : Auto

Read to Write Delay (S/D) : Auto
Write to Read Delay (S) : Auto
Write to Read Delay (D) : Auto
Read to Read Delay (S) : Auto
Read to Read Delay (D) : Auto
Write to Write Delay (S) : Auto
Write to Write Delay (D) : Auto
DRAM Static Read Control: Auto
Ai Clock Twister : Auto
Transaction Booster : Disabled

CPU Voltage : 1.45v
CPU PLL Voltage : 1.5v 
North Bridge Voltage : 1.25v
DRAM Voltage : 1.765v
FSB Termination Voltage : 1.250v 
South Bridge Voltage : 1.05v 
Loadline Calibration : Enabled
CPU GTL Reference : .63x
North Bridge GTL Reference : .67x
DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : REF
DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : REF
DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : DRR2-REF 
SB 1.5V Voltage : 1.50v 
NB LED Selection : NB Volt 
SB LED Selection : SB Volt 
CPU LED Selection : CPU VOlt 
Voltiminder LED : Enabled

CPU Spread Spectrum : Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled 

Advanced CPU Configuration

CPU Ratio Control : Manual 
- Ratio CMOS Setting : 9 
C1E Suppport : Disabled
CPU TM Function : Disabled
Vanderpool Technology : Disabled  (Enabled if you Run VMs)
Execute Disable Bit : Enabled 
Max CPUID Value Limit : Disabled  

USB Configuration 
USB Functions: Enabled 
Legacy USB Support : Disabled for Memtesting

Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes.

Results?

Check my system specs above.

I cant seem to get the mobo and RAM to run at 1600Mhz. Iv tried stock timings of 8-8-8-24 2T @ 1600Mhz 1.65v, no joy. It doesn't even post. My mobo overvolts the RAM so its actually set to 1.6v in the BIOS, but it's actually giving the ram 1.68v. Even when i underclock the RAM to 1333 or under. Its only stable at 1066Mhz. I have the latest BIOS. But i still get BSOD.

I had ******** memory before and i sent back numerous kits, i couldn't get my 1800Mhz kit to run at stock speeds, it was only stable at 12** (cant quiet remember the exact speed. Hence the change in memory brand to Corsair, hoping it was just ******** being crap.

N.B. I know its a triple channel kit, but im only using two sticks, bought the triple channel kit so when i upgrade to i7, its not all in one chunk which eases the pressure of my credit card lol.

• Corsair Employees
Derek has given some good settings here. If you experience instability with his settings, try raising the NB voltage above his 1.25v recommendation. You can easily to go to 1.4v - 1.5v safely if needed.

Extreme Tweaker Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual OC From CPU Level Up : AutoCPU Ratio Control : Manual- Ratio CMOS Setting : 8 [b]9[/b]FSB Frequency : 400 FSB Strap to North Bridge : 333 [b]Auto[/b]PCI-E Frequency: 100DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1600DRAM Command Rate : 2N [b]2T[/b]DRAM Timing Control: Manual CAS# Latency : 8RAS# to CAS# Delay : 8RAS# Precharge : 8RAS# ActivateTime : 24RAS# to RAS# Delay : AutoRow Refresh Cycle Time : AutoWrite Recovery Time : AutoRead to Precharge Time : AutoRead to Write Delay (S/D) : AutoWrite to Read Delay (S) : AutoWrite to Read Delay (D) : AutoRead to Read Delay (S) : AutoRead to Read Delay (D) : AutoWrite to Write Delay (S) : AutoWrite to Write Delay (D) : AutoDRAM Static Read Control: AutoAi Clock Twister : AutoTransaction Booster : Disabled             CPU Voltage : 1.45v [b]1.5v[/b]CPU PLL Voltage : 1.5v [b]1.6v[/b]North Bridge Voltage : 1.25v [b]1.49v[/b]DRAM Voltage : 1.765v [b]1.66v[/b]FSB Termination Voltage : 1.250v [b]1.4v[/b]South Bridge Voltage : 1.05v [b]1.125v[/b]Loadline Calibration : EnabledCPU GTL Reference : .63x [b]Auto[/b]North Bridge GTL Reference : .67x  [b]Auto[/b]DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : REF [b]Auto[/b]DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : REF [b]Auto[/b]DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : DRR2-REF [b]Auto[/b]SB 1.5V Voltage : 1.50v [b]1.6v[/b]NB LED Selection : NB Volt SB LED Selection : SB Volt CPU LED Selection : CPU Volt Voltiminder LED : EnabledCPU Spread Spectrum : Disabled            [b]Auto[/b]PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled           [b]Auto[/b]Advanced CPU ConfigurationCPU Ratio Control : Manual - Ratio CMOS Setting : 9 C1E Support : DisabledCPU TM Function : DisabledVanderpool Technology : Disabled  (Enabled if you Run VMs)Execute Disable Bit : Enabled Max CPUID Value Limit : Disabled  USB Configuration USB Functions: Enabled Legacy USB Support : Disabled for Memtesting

Anything in Bold above is what my pc was set to before i posted here. Anything not Bold means the settings you set were the same as the ones i had already.

I applied your settings to

DRAM Voltage : 1.765v                        CPU GTL Reference : .63x                    North Bridge GTL Reference : .67x         DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : REF        DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : REF         DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : DRR2-REF  CPU Spread Spectrum : Disabled            PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled           Legacy USB Support : Disabled for Memtesting

I tried running the memory at 1600Mhz & 1334Mhz but it wouldn't not POST.

At 1280Mhz i got into Windows but it failed Memtest, i didn't have enough time to run Memtest at 1203Mhz or 1066Mhz yet. I even put 1.9v to the DRAM but that change anything, still wouldn't POST

Also when i Disable Transaction Booster, it gives me a option from 1-8?

and on Vanderpool Technology, what do you mean by "Enabled if you Run VMs"?

Running my CPU at 400 FSB is fine, iv taken my CPU up to 450FSB X 9 to get 4Ghz Stable, so that's not a problem.

This is my system as it stands (sorry about a new post, didnt want too many of theses in one post)

Extreme Tweaker Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual OC From CPU Level Up : AutoCPU Ratio Control : Manual- Ratio CMOS Setting : 9FSB Frequency : 400FSB Strap to North Bridge : AutoPCI-E Frequency: 100DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1066DRAM Command Rate : 2TDRAM Timing Control: Manual CAS# Latency : 8RAS# to CAS# Delay : 8RAS# Precharge : 8RAS# ActivateTime : 24RAS# to RAS# Delay : AutoRow Refresh Cycle Time : AutoWrite Recovery Time : AutoRead to Precharge Time : AutoRead to Write Delay (S/D) : AutoWrite to Read Delay (S) : AutoWrite to Read Delay (D) : AutoRead to Read Delay (S) : AutoRead to Read Delay (D) : AutoWrite to Write Delay (S) : AutoWrite to Write Delay (D) : AutoDRAM Static Read Control: AutoAi Clock Twister : AutoTransaction Booster : Disabled 1CPU Voltage : 1.5vCPU PLL Voltage : 1.6v North Bridge Voltage : 1.49vDRAM Voltage : 1.765vFSB Termination Voltage : 1.4v South Bridge Voltage : 1.125v Loadline Calibration : EnabledCPU GTL Reference : .63xNorth Bridge GTL Reference : .67xDDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : REFDDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : REFDDR2 Controller REF Voltage : DRR2-REF SB 1.5V Voltage : 1.6v NB LED Selection : NB Volt SB LED Selection : SB Volt CPU LED Selection : CPU VOlt Voltiminder LED : EnabledCPU Spread Spectrum : DisabledPCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled Advanced CPU ConfigurationCPU Ratio Control : Manual - Ratio CMOS Setting : 9 C1E Suppport : DisabledCPU TM Function : DisabledVanderpool Technology : Disabled  (Enabled if you Run VMs)Execute Disable Bit : Enabled Max CPUID Value Limit : Disabled  USB Configuration USB Functions: Enabled Legacy USB Support : Disabled for Memtesting

The issue you have is not the ability of the CPU to run at 3.6Ghz. It is the FSB stream that connects to the memory controller. The Q6600 was not ever created with the view of a high DDR3 interface, and as such there are issues that would not be there with the newer 45nm products. Vanderpool is a virtualization technology that allows you to employ virtual OS's in their own protected space.

Even so, there are many who state that the X38/X48 chipsets do not like 128M X 16 high density and capacity memory modules. I found this to be the case and all my issues disappeared when I installed 64M X 16 1GB memory modules. You are setting your memory to the second and fourth slots?

Archived