Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 P45 and TWIN2X4096-8500C5D

Stevil79

Hi all. My first post!

I've been inspired to register and post having read some of the other threads here. It looks like a great forum and the help and support provided here is first class. I commend you!

I came across this forum whilst being at my wits end trying to diagnose a problem I've had with my system since I built it about 2 weeks ago. I'll give you the full story so you understand my dilemma:

It was my 30th birthday on 26th Feb and the family clubbed together and bought me the components for my new system as a present. I'm a lucky guy! (System specs posted in the drop-down). I've always built my own system and I've built systems for others with no problems so I wasn't expecting to have any with this one.

Anyway getting to the point: I've had stability issues with the system since I put it together. It started with blue screens and random freezing usually after start-up. It really had me upset for a while and doubting my ability. So I opened up the case after a couple of days and took out unnecessary stuff like floppy drive and checked all of the cables in the motherboard. I took all of them out and plugged them back in. I also reseated my RAM and Graphics card. I also neglected to plug in the case fans on my Armor MX Tower just to be on the safe side. After this the system ran fine for about a week. I plugged in my old Western Digital Caviar 80GB and transferred the backed up data from my old machine to the new one. Seeing as I'd had no issues for a week I then plugged my case fans in when I took the Caviar back out again...

Big mistake. Crashes again nearly every time it went to windows. Usually just a freeze where there is no response from keyboard or mouse and sometimes a blue screen saying it cannot reference part of the memory and a code (paraphrasing: I don't know what it actually said). It starts to dump memory to disk. On the few occasions I could get stuff to work it would lock up totally. In GTAIV the screen would go mental and a sound would loop really loudly. Like a repeating blur.

So suffice to say the case fans got yanked again. System works a lot smoother although I still get a crash when I first boot up in the morning. Usually just a freeze but today I got a Blue Screen with the memory error and then a freeze after the reboot.

Funny thing is, after the Cold reboot the system works fine and will stay on all day. I can play GTAIV and COD4 to my hearts content with no problems. But the next morning will be the same!

I also get that annoying buzz from the middle fan on my dominator cooler. It happens on first boot in the morning, accelerates like crazy then just goes normal. Once I've had my crash and I reboot it comes on fine again (No Noise). Just FYI!

So... Why am I here making this post? Well in my frantic searches of the internet trying to find what the hell is going on and whilst I've been pulling my hair out I came across some interesting posts in this forum regarding Gigabyte Mobos and memory settings, which have prompted me to check my own.

As you'd expect my 2.1 volt RAM is running at 1.8 volts as standard. I'm a little afraid of turning this up because quite honestly memory voltage, timings and stuff scare me. I'm quite the novice when it comes to tweaking the bios settings. I've looked at the Ram Guy's suggested settings for my RAM and I don't really understand a lot of it and honestly I don't know which RAM is mine. I was wondering if some kind soul could simplify this for me.

I have to point out that I don't believe that this is a miracle cure for all of my problems. But I feel that it may help me along the way to getting my system right.

If anyone has any suggestions at all it would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks for Listening!

Steve

As you'd expect my 2.1 volt RAM is running at 1.8 volts as standard. I'm a little afraid of turning this up because quite honestly memory voltage, timings and stuff scare me. I'm quite the novice when it comes to tweaking the bios settings. I've looked at the Ram Guy's suggested settings for my RAM and I don't really understand a lot of it and honestly I don't know which RAM is mine. I was wondering if some kind soul could simplify this for me.

You must set up the BIOS to reflect the necessary memory voltage. Since you are afraid, you might wish to take the system to a professional who will not have such fears and who will setup the system correctly and alleviate your issues.

As well, you would do well to edit your post and remove all but the pertinent data. Most people helping here have to go through many, many posts and yours is full of useless (to the problem at hand) information. Please be concise or you will lose many helpers. Look at other's posts and you will see that they follow this pattern.

Sorry if there's a lot of filler in there Derek, but I felt that if I left any information out that I might get the wrong answer.

I have difficulty explaining my problem as I'm not really up on a lot of the terminology.

Basically I just want an idiots guide to setting the memory up on my board. I'm not afraid of changing the settings myself, I'd just like a bit of help understanding what to change. Oh and which settings are for my RAM.

I do not know of any idiots guide to computers.

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Download Real Temp from-->

Shut the system down. Insert a single stick of DRAM in Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU) and slot 3.Enter your BIOS. Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults. On the main BIOS screen press Ctrl + F1. You will see the screen flicker. Next select the MB Intelligent Tweaker option. On that screen you will see many additional settings that were not there before. Set to these values but be sure that the last value you set is the MCH Latch Value. Leave it on Auto until you set all other values. Then set the Latch to 333Mhz, save and exit:

Robust Graphics Booster: Auto
CPU Clock Ratio: 9
Fine CPU Clock Ratio: +0.5
CPU Frequency: 2.497GHz (333x9)

Clock Chip Control

Standard Clock Control

CPU Host Clock Control: Enabled
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz): 333 Mhz
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz): 100

C.I.A.2: Disabled

Advanced Clock Control

CPU Clock Drive: Auto
PCI Express Clock Drive: Auto
CPU Clock Skew (ps): 0ps
MCH Clock Skew (ps): Auto

DRAM Performance Control

Performance Enhance: Standard

Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.): Disabled
(G)MCH Frequency Latch: 333

System Memory Multiplier: 3.20
Memory Frequency (Mhz): 1066
DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

Standard Timing Control

CAS Latency Time: 5
tRCD: 5
tRP: 5
tRAS: 15

Advanced Timing Control

tRRD: 5
tWTR: 12
tWR: 14
tRFC: 62
tRTP: 6
Command Rate (CMD): 2

Driving Strength Profiles

Driving Strength: 1066

Motherboard Voltage Control

Voltage Type: Manual
CPU
CPU Vcore: Auto
CPU Termination: Auto
CPU PLL: Auto
CPU Reference: Auto
CPU Reference2: Auto

MCH/ICH
MCH Core: 1.2v
MCH Reference: 0.8v
MCH/DRAM Ref: 0.9v
ICH I/O: Auto
ICH Core: Auto

DRAM

DRAM Voltage: 2.1v
DRAM Termination: 0.9v
Channel A Reference: 0.9v
Channel B Reference: 0.9v

Advanced Settings
Limit CPUID Max. to 3: Disabled
No-Execute Memory Protect: Enabled
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E): Enabled
CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) : Enabled
CPU EIST Function: Enabled 

Restart and boot to the Memtest ISO. Allow for two full passes and if stable, enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

OK.

Followed the instructions to the letter. Setup the bios advanced settings and ran the CD-ROM. Here are the results:

Test 1: Halted Pass 1 @ 36% - Unexpected Interrupt

Test 2: Froze @10% - No Message

Test 3: Halted Pass 1 @ 33% - Unexpected Interrupt

Default BIOS settings loaded.

• Corsair Employees
OK.

Followed the instructions to the letter. Setup the bios advanced settings and ran the CD-ROM. Here are the results:

Test 1: Halted Pass 1 @ 36% - Unexpected Interrupt

Test 2: Froze @10% - No Message

Test 3: Halted Pass 1 @ 33% - Unexpected Interrupt

Was this with a single module or 2 modules. What was the memory voltage you set in BIOS? When you exited the BIOS, did you save the settings properly.

This concerns me because your memory requires 2.1v and will not pass at default BIOS settings.

Hey RAM GUY!

The test was run with 2 modules. I set the memory voltage to 2.1 as per the instructions from Derek. I saved the settings before I exited the BIOS after doing the Latch Frequency last.

The memory has been running at 1.8 volts. I only noticed this when I made my first post. In my experience the BIOS has always detected memory settings and in the instructions supplied with the RAM there was nothing about changing or setting the voltage. The only reason I realised it required more than 1.8V was because I saved my order form from the supplier and on the order sheet it says 2.1V.

Like I said in my first post... that's what led me here.

When I said that default BIOS settings was loaded, I meant after I'd run the tests and they failed I restored it to what it was running previously.

Setting memory to Auto is only applicable with fully JEDEC standard (better known as vanilla) memory. High end memory must have the settings entered into BIOS.

Let's isolate. With the given settings in BIOS, shut the system down. Boot to the Memtest CD with a single stick inserted in Slot 1 (Closest Slot to the CPU) and allow for two full passes. Shut the system down. Remove the first stick and insert it in slot two. Repeat memtest. Shut the system down. Remove the first stick and insert it into slot three and repeat Memtest. Do the same for the last slot. You have now tested one stick and all four slots. Shut the system down and remove the first stick. Insert the second stick in slot one. Retest. Shut the system down and remove the second stick and insert the third stick in slot one. Repeat Memtest. Do the same with the last stick. You have now tested all four slots to work singly and in 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15 2T @ 2.1v.

Now test for the Dual Channel Mode function of the memory controller. Insert a stick in slot one, slot three and Memtest. Remove the set and insert it into slot two, slot four and Memtest.

Results?

The Results are in:

Stick --- Slot --- Test --- Pass --- Result

- 1 ------ 1 ------ 1 ------ 1 ------- Failed at 1% Thousands of scrolling errors

------------------ 2 ------ 1 ------- Failed at 0% (Same as Above)

- 2 ------ 1 ------ 1 ------ 1 ------- Passed but at approximately 40% 3258 Errors (Test 5: Block Move, 64 Moves)

--------------------------- 2 ------- Passed but at approximately 40% 7424 Errors (Test 5: Block Move, 64 Moves)

- 2 ------ 2 ------ 1 ------ 1 ------- Failed at 1% (Thousands of Errors)

------------------ 2 ------ 1 ------- Failed at 1% (Same as Above)

[/Quote]

At this point I remembered reading another post by RAM GUY saying that the USB controller sometimes interferes with Memtest results so I plugged a PS/2 connector on my keyboard and disabled my USB controller in the BIOS and carried on testing:

- 2 ------ 2 ------ 1 ------ 1 ------- 0% Thousands of Errors

------------------ 2 ------ 1 ------- 37% Test 5 Thousands of Errors

- 2 ------ 3 ------ 1 ------ 1 ------- 37% (as above)

[/Quote]

Undeterred I then decided to unplug my Ethernet cable to see if that made any difference. And it certainly did!

- 2 ------ 4 ------ 1 ------ 1 ------- Complete - No Errors

--------------------------- 2 ------- Complete - No Errors

- 2 ------ 1 ------ 1 ------ 1 ------- Complete - No Errors

- 1 ------ 1 ------ 1 ------ 1 ------- Complete - No Errors

- 1 ------ 3 ------ 1 ------ 1 ------- Froze @ 20% on Test 4

------------------ 2 ------ 1 ------- Complete - No Errors

[/Quote]

I experienced some strange anomalies throughout the testing. On power on the machine would power off then immediately power back on again by itself and work as normal. This happened about 3 times and both before and after ethernet cable was unplugged.. Also I got a freeze half way through that last batch of results. I just ran the test again and it passed fine. These freezes have been what I've been trying to cure though.

I called it a night at this point. Booted into windows. No crashes. Seems to be working fine a little bit quicker. A bit jerky round the edges playing COD4 but certainly playable.

So this morning I got up and started testing both sticks in Dual Channel Mode:

1 + 2 -- 1 + 3 ---- 1 ------ 1 ------- Failed at 34% (Test 5) Thousands of Errors

------------------ 2 ------ 1 ------- Failed at 34% (Test 5) Thousands of Errors

------------------ 3 ------ 1 ------- Failed at 34% (Test 5) Thousands of Errors

1 + 2 -- 2 + 4 ---- 1 ------ 1 ------- Failed at 34% (Test 5) Thousands of Errors

[/Quote]

No Joy. So I'm at a loss. I'm running at the suggested settings with one stick in slot 1 atm. No problems as far as I can tell but time will be the true test. I conclude that the RAM is fine. You might know more than me. I'm starting to think about getting a new motherboard to try and have some better luck with that.

Any comments or suggestions?

Please give results as below with NO added information.

ie.

Given:

Stick 1, Stick 2, Stick 3 and Stick 4.

and

Slot 1, Slot 2, Slot 3 and Slot 4.

Testing results (Set to given values in BIOS)

Stick 1-Slot 1 = Pass/Error

Stick 1-Slot 2 = Pass/Error

Stick 1-Slot 3 = Pass/Error

Stick 1-Slot 4 = Pass/Error

Stick 2-Slot 1 Pass/Error

Stick 1 and Stick 2-Slot 1 and Slot 3 = Pass/Error

Stick 1 and Stick 2-Slot 2 and Slot 4 = Pass/Error

Memtest is the defacto standard for testing memory in systems.

You did not have to retest. I just asked you to post the results as requested. You can use your prior tests. Just post it less complicated. Sometimes less is more. :):

Dual Channel Mode is not a function of the memory. It is a function of the memory controller. All memory must do is fulfill the requirements of the memory controllers Dual Channel Mode (identical SPD - Matched Pair).

If you pass singly, but fail both sets of slots in Dual Channel Mode, then your issue is a failing memory controller and I advise RMA of the mainboard.

I've got no more time to test now.

You did not specify how you wanted the results presenting.

The data you need is that it each stick works in each slot on it's own and it cocks up when you use dual channel.

• Corsair Employees
Just out of interest, do I need to use the same settings as above on my new board or will it change to something different?

The tested settings for modules don't change from board to board. In the past, some kits might have a different setting for AMD vs Intel but that is not the case with any current memory or MOBOs.

Archived