Corsair Community

question

MarkusC

I have a similar problem.

I have been running my system based on a mother board asus p5E3, the intel processor e6850 (no overclocking) and 2 x CM3X1024-1333C9DHX 1.5V ver 1.1 dual channel setup for over a year.

Default bios settings and the memory is recognized as 1333MHz with 9-9-9-24 clocking as specified on their stickers.

I recently ordered two identical memory sticks to increase and when i got them I noticed they were labeled differently: CM3X1024-1333C9DHX 1.6V ver 3.1

I installed these ones in the two free slots and when I started, I noticed that allthough all 4 gigs was found, my system was running them in 1066Mhz and using 7-7-7-20 clocking.

I tried to install them in every configuration possible, even only using one memory stick, but as long as any of the new sticks were present, all the memory was run in the slower speed and clock cycleing.

I then updated my bios to the newest version (Asus bios 1301 dated 01/22/09) which even states to eliminate some memory problems, but no luck.

So, returned them to the vendor saying they didnt deliver 1333Mhz as specified.

One week later I got them back from the vendor with a letter that there was nothing wrong with the memorys. They had successfully got them running and even used some memory benchmark utility for error checking.

Im at a loss here. If I pay for 1333Mhz 9-9-9-24, thats what I want to get.

It feels like there is a hidden truth in the diffrent version of these memory sticks.

1.5v -> 1.6v

ver 1.1 -> ver 3.1

What is the difference? And are there compability problems with the Asus P5E3 motherboard?

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 and set the memory Voltage to 1.7 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Yep, I have done this (no need to set it to 1066, since they are found that way by the system automatically), and everything runs fine.

BUT! I havent bought 1066MHz memories now have I?

Are you telling me that if you run 4x1GB you cannot run them in full speed?

Still doesnt explain why I cannot get the new memories to run stable at higher speeds than 1066, even if I only use the new sticks and leave the old ones out (2x1GB).

I suspect a compability problem. Might not be your fault, probably is ASUS.

• Corsair Employees
BUT! I havent bought 1066MHz memories now have I?

Are you telling me that if you run 4x1GB you cannot run them in full speed?

Still doesnt explain why I cannot get the new memories to run stable at higher speeds than 1066, even if I only use the new sticks and leave the old ones out (2x1GB).

I suspect a compability problem. Might not be your fault, probably is ASUS.

Your system is running the memory at a lower speed due to the load on the memory controller. 4 modules is double the electrical load of 2 modules.

Please read AN806 for more information: http://www.corsairmemory.com/appnotes/default.aspx

Archived